Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Leake

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Mike Leake

Wow, I'm not one for studying college baseball stats, but I was under the assumption that Stephen Strasberg was FAR AND AWAY the best pitcher in college this year. I'm stunned to say the least at how UNTRUE that really was. Mike Leake was right there with Strasberg in nearly every catagory.

ERA
    #1 Strasberg 1.32
    #2 Leake 1.36

Wins
    #1 Leake 16
    #3 Strasberg 13

Games started
    #4 Leake 16 (17 was the most)
    #20 Strasberg 15

Complete Games
    #2 Leake 7
    #? Strasberg 2

Shutouts
    #3 Leake 2
    #3 Strasberg 2

Innings Pitched
    #1 Leake 132.2
    #8 Strasberg 109.0

Runs allowed
    #2 Strasberg 17
    #8 Leake 23

Strikeouts
    #1 Strasberg 195
    #2 Leake 150

Batting Average Against
    #1 Strasberg .172
    #2 Leake .175

Walks allowed
    Strasberg 19
    Leake 20

Hits allowed
    Strasberg 65
    Leake 71

Those numbers are about as close as you can get. While Leake certainly doesn't have the velocity of Strasberg, he's got a wider variety of pitches, he's pitched against tougher competition, and most importantly...the REDS got him. Great, GREAT pick.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Wow, I'm not one for studying college baseball stats, but I was under the assumption that Stephen Strasberg was FAR AND AWAY the best pitcher in college this year. I'm stunned to say the least at how UNTRUE that really was. Mike Leake was right there with Strasberg in nearly every catagory.

ERA
    #1 Strasberg 1.32
    #2 Leake 1.36

Wins
    #1 Leake 16
    #3 Strasberg 13

Games started
    #4 Leake 16 (17 was the most)
    #20 Strasberg 15

Complete Games
    #2 Leake 7
    #? Strasberg 2

Shutouts
    #3 Leake 2
    #3 Strasberg 2

Innings Pitched
    #1 Leake 132.2
    #8 Strasberg 109.0

Runs allowed
    #2 Strasberg 17
    #8 Leake 23

Strikeouts
    #1 Strasberg 195
    #2 Leake 150

Batting Average Against
    #1 Strasberg .172
    #2 Leake .175

Walks allowed
    Strasberg 19
    Leake 20

Hits allowed
    Strasberg 65
    Leake 71

Those numbers are about as close as you can get. While Leake certainly doesn't have the velocity of Strasberg, he's got a wider variety of pitches, he's pitched against tougher competition, and most importantly...the REDS got him. Great, GREAT pick.
    And he did so, against a much tougher schedule overall.

Certainly, Leake is not as talented as Strasburg in terms of potential. However, I think Leake is being sold way short in terms of just how good a pitcher he really is.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    And he did so, against a much tougher schedule overall.

Certainly, Leake is not as talented as Strasburg in terms of potential. However, I think Leake is being sold way short in terms of just how good a pitcher he really is.
    That's certainly what I'm seeing too. I think Strasberg just got a better publicist. Because he certainly wasn't the "clear-cut" best pitcher he was touted as being. These stats of Leake's are impressing the hell out of me.
    2014 predictions:
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

That's certainly what I'm seeing too. I think Strasberg just got a better publicist. Because he certainly wasn't the "clear-cut" best pitcher he was touted as being. These stats of Leake's are impressing the hell out of me.
    Strasburg was indeed the clear cut best pitcher. He pitched 23 fewer innings than Leake and struck out 45 more batters. Not a slight at Leake, who I like quite a bit.... but Strasburg is in a different world.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Strasburg was indeed the clear cut best pitcher. He pitched 23 fewer innings than Leake and struck out 45 more batters. Not a slight at Leake, who I like quite a bit.... but Strasburg is in a different world.
    But just because his outs were via the strikeout instead of the ground out...it puts him in a different world? I don't get that one. Some of the scouts were saying that Leake doesn't strikeout guys...well, his stats say otherwise. But if you take the strikeouts out of the equation, where is the Strasberg dominance compared to Leake's dominance? You can look at it in the other way as well, Leake pitched 23 more innings and allowed the same number of walks, the same number of runs, the same number of hits allowed as Strasberg virtually. IMO it's equally as dominant...only in a different way...and against better competition.
    2014 predictions:
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

But Leake pitched 23.2 more innings and only allowed 7 more BB+H. For the cost of each player, I think the Reds could get the better value.

But just because his outs were via the strikeout instead of the ground out...it puts him in a different world? I don't get that one. Some of the scouts were saying that Leake doesn't strikeout guys...well, his stats say otherwise. But if you take the strikeouts out of the equation, where is the Strasberg dominance compared to Leake's dominance? You can look at it in the other way as well, Leake pitched 23 more innings and allowed the same number of walks, the same number of runs, the same number of hits allowed as Strasberg virtually. IMO it's equally as dominant...only in a different way...and against better competition.
    Well, strikeouts never allow runners to reach base. Grounders, even a ton of them, lead to runners about 22% of the time. So yeah, simply because his outs were via the strikeout does make a huge difference. I think Leake can have an Aaron Harang type or peripherals in the BB and K columns. Thats pretty darn good. Strasburg looks like a guy who might be able to go into the Pedro Martinez type of peripherals land. In any other season, Mike Leake would have put up the most dominating season in college baseball. Just not this one.

Leake pitched against much better competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Leake pitched against much better competition.
    No he didn't really. Strength of schedule for the two teams were 20th and 30th in the country. Leake came out ahead, but it wasn't by much.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    he's got their size, not their stuff.
    I'll disagree with that, at least with some of the guys on that list. Leake's got quality stuff.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'll disagree with that, at least with some of the guys on that list. Leake's got quality stuff.
    In terms of pure velocity, he's only going to beat late-career Maddux of the listed pitchers.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

In terms of pure velocity, he's only going to beat late-career Maddux of the listed pitchers.
    He throws harder than Glavine did.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    He throws harder than Glavine did.
    I am most encouraged by the reports that say he's actually capable of dialing it up to as much as 94 on occasion, but prefers to sacrifice that for the sake of more movement on his ball.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I've never seen his stuff, but the scouting report says that he can hit 94 and can stay at 90-91. In terms of fastball, that is as good or better than Roy Oswalt, Tim Hudson, Tom Glavine, and Greg Maddux.
    odds are stacked against him. Not many RHPers shorter than 5'11" have won 100 games, and the ones that did had better stuff: Pedro, Oswalt (who came up throwing mid 90's plus, unlike Leake). Maddux and Hudson have size on him, Maddux came up throwing harder, and Hudson has two more out pitches than Leake. Glavine's a lefty, where size is less of an issue. Leake has less velocity than Maddux/Oswalt when they debuted -- and guess where velocity goes from here?

I only saw him make four throws on a video, but he looked like an older Maddux, toying with the hitter. Frankly, he looks like a guy that would benefit from wood bats, so I'm certainly intrigued. It'll be interesting to see how he translates to the majors.

same pitching coach (Dick Pole) as young Maddux, too.

Strasburg-awesome command of better stuff.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?