Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Leake

Re: Mike Leake

150 Ks in 132 innings tells me that he isn't a "guile" pitcher. He's nasty.
    The scouting report definitely doesn't sound "nasty". Solid, but not nasty.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    The scouting report definitely doesn't sound "nasty". Solid, but not nasty.
    Aside from the "great athlete" part, it reads like what someone might write about Aaron Harang.

I like Aaron Harang a lot, but I'm not sure I'd draft the college version of Aaron Harang and hope his stuff holds up on the road to the bigs.

The "no out pitch" line worries the hell out of me. That was the knock on Sean Wastson coming out of college as well, and it's held through his entire amateur career.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Pac 10.

He did that in the Pac 10.

There are other scouting reports on him that are more glowing. Try not to fixate on just that one.

Here's another scouting report:

Biographical Data
    Player Name: Mike Leake
    Position: Starting Pitcher
    School: Arizona State University
    School Type: College
    Academic Class: Junior
    Birthdate: 11/12/87
    Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 180 lbs.
    Bats: Right
    Throws: Right
    Report Date: 02/26/09
    Game: Missouri

Focus Area Comments
    Fastball: Leake threw his fastball from 88-94 mph. It sat comfortably around 91 mph.
    Fastball movement: There was above-average sink and plenty of side-to-side movement, with some run to it. He changes arm angles for different looks.
    Slider: It's a hard, downward slider, thrown 79-82 mph.
    Curve: An average offering ... not an out pitch. He can throw it for strikes in the 73-76 mph range.
    Changeup: Close to a plus pitch and he'll throw it at any point in the count.
    Control: He has plus, plus command, perhaps a 70 on the scouting scale.
    Poise: It's a plus, plus attribute. He has the presence to pitch in the big leagues right now. He's more of a lead-by-example guy -- soft-spoken, but confident.
    Physical Description: Leake is an undersized righty, but is athletic and strong, kind of like a Tim Hudson type.
    Medical Update: Healthy.
    Strengths: Four pitches that are all usable and the ability to command all of them extremelly well. He's extremely durable, having thrown as many innings as just about anyone in the class over the past few seasons.
    Weaknesses: There's a little hip turn in his delivery, but it doesn't affect him. There will be those who'll be concerned about his size.
    Summary: As a six-foot righty, people may want to overlook Leake as a big-time pitching prospect, but they might be missing the boat. He can throw four pitches for strikes and his poise is off the charts. He may not be that big, but he's athletic, strong and durable with an extremely efficient delivery. He's done nothing but perform with the Sun Devils and whoever looks past his size could have themselves a steal.

Baseball America says Leake has wicked stuff. His slider and changeup are above average to plus pitches. He has an out pitch.

So, no. I don't reflexively hate it. He looks like a guy who has performed and performed well against top competition. With plus stuff.

The "no out pitch" line worries the hell out of me. That was the knock on Sean Wastson coming out of college as well, and it's held through his entire amateur career.
    That's what scares me too. Polish and command is nice, but you'd like a pitcher inside the top ten to have at least one major put away pitch.

He reportedly has an "out" pitch. Perhaps two.

Has anyone heard more about his slider? Hard downward movement just sounds like a generic description of a slider. If that pitch is at least close to plus, I guess I would like the pick a little more. "wicked" sounds like a major overstatement though.
    Last edited by Superdude; 06-09-2009 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Baseball America says Leake has wicked stuff. His slider and changeup are above average to plus pitches. He has an out pitch.
    His fastball (sitting 91) seems fairly pedestrian, though, for a top-10 pick. We'll have to see what he looks like once he starts facing real competition -- sometimes you can sneak 90-91 MPH stuff by hitters if your secondary offerings are off the charts.

The changeup is Plus. Command is plus plus. Poise is plus plus. Guy knows HOW to pitch, and has the stuff to do it
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Don't love the pick but don't hate it either, I guess I will take a wait and see approach.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I'd say his change-up sure sounds like an "out pitch." He will throw it anytime.

Good command with all his pitches sounds real good to me as well.

Plus, he flat-out dominated a good baseball conference like the Pac-10. 16-1 with an ERA of 1.79 with more Ks than IP.

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Guy knows HOW to pitch, and has the stuff to do it
    If true, that's something the Reds have been missing since. . .well, . . .it's been a loong time.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Don't love the pick but don't hate it either, I guess I will take a wait and see approach.
    Same boat here. I'm decidedly underwhelmed by the scouting reports, but he sounds like a guy that's got the whole "sum is greater than the parts" thing going on.

Turn Off Ads?