Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Leake

Re: Mike Leake

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    That's what pissed me off. Leake was definitely not my favorite pick, but I thought they were going to use the money and go after someone big in the supplemental round...and then we drafted a guy named Boxberger over Scheppers? It's just frustrating to know that Crow and Scheppers could both have been had if we weren't so cheap.
    Ok I am sick of hear this, why can't it be that the people in the organization just liked the makeup of those guys better?! Everyone has their own opinion and the Reds FO may have a different one than yours. Look back in 4-7 years and then bash them but many people in this thread are being far far to rash.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Boxberger is actually similar to Leake - build/projectability, a bit better fastball, less command, not quite as good secondary pitches but still usable, while Leake is probably best case #2-realistic#3 Boxberger looks to me like a best case#3, realistic 4 or 5 with a good chance he ends up a middle reliever. The main knock on him seems to be whether he can maintain his stuff late in games, he did better at it this year but there have been problems with it in his past

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    No one is claiming any "insider" knowledge -- just doing some speculation based on the available information. It seems like, if signability was no concern, the logical pick would've been Crow -- who is almost universally rated as having better stuff than Leake and is more advanced (or, at least simialrly advanced) than Leake in terms of development.
    This is completely subjective. Many mock drafts had the Reds previously taking Leake. His numbers for the tough PAC 10 in a hitters park are very impressive. I think the speculation has gotten out of control. And I'm usually pretty critical.

Put me in the camp that likes the pick. Unless there's an absolute no-brainer stud, I'd much prefer the high floor guy over the high ceiling one. Four legitimate pitches. Great command. Clean injury history. Works for me.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

To me, Leake sounds like a very safe pick. I love that, look at the drafts over the last ten years, there is usually 5-9 players who were drafted in round 1 that really did anything. So I think it is smart to take a guy who has a very good chance of being a solid #3 starter over a guy who might be a 1 if he can stay healthy and get better control. Not sure I made sence here but in my own mind I did.

Personally I think they drafted Leake because they know he has a good chance to be ready by 2011. With Harang and Arroyo being dealt this season you are going to need some movers to take their places in the middle of the 2011 rotation. The only pick I think that was a true signability pick was Matzek, and after listening to his interview with Mlb TV I can see why some teams stayed away.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Myself I don't mind skipping Crow with his dangerous mechanics, or Scheppers with his shoulder. Those guys weren't signability - they were, imo, simply too high risk for Buckley. Matzek was asking ridiculous money, especially for a high school kid. If he goes Gruler on Colorado that's a ton of cash down the tubes - and its a better bet he flops than he doesn't.

Looks to me the Reds went safe on pitchers and took the gamble on the HS athlete/uber tools but raw Billy Hamilton. The more I look at it the more I like the picks.

His scouting report reads like a guy who has already reached his ceiling.

In no way does this read like "best player available" -- it reads like "player who will make it to the bigs quickest."
    Reading between the lines- "innings eater".
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Reading between the lines- "innings eater".
    Meet Bronson Arroyo v. 2.0?

Can he play guitar?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Meet Bronson Arroyo v. 2.0?

Can he play guitar?
    Bronson with ground ball tendencies perhaps.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    The one thing that is starting to annoy me, I must admit, is folks assuming this was a "signability" pick. Unless you have firsthand knowledge (which really most if not all of you naysayers don't), you should knock off the signability claims.
    Why should we? It's a perfectly acceptable thing to assume and or discuss. You want to shut us up, come with a compelling argument that we are wrong. Last year is last year and since it ended we have played it extremely tight to the vest fiscally speaking. Being a bit more conservative is fine in this economy but there are still games to be played and won and they should have spent more or spent those limited funds more wisely.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Personally I think they drafted Leake because they know he has a good chance to be ready by 2011. With Harang and Arroyo being dealt this season you are going to need some movers to take their places in the middle of the 2011 rotation. The only pick I think that was a true signability pick was Matzek, and after listening to his interview with Mlb TV I can see why some teams stayed away.
    Easy there big boy. Reds are still in the race this year and if they can get Votto and Volquez back they are going to be buyers at the deadline, not sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    Ok I am sick of hear this, why can't it be that the people in the organization just liked the makeup of those guys better?! Everyone has their own opinion and the Reds FO may have a different one than yours. Look back in 4-7 years and then bash them but many people in this thread are being far far to rash.
    Makeup is a great asset but drafting that high it should be accompanied by premium talent. Leake is solid but again taking a back of the rotation starter/MR guy 40 picks in is incomprehensible.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Good pick. He was my favorite. It's not the "flashy" pick maybe, but still the best, IMO. I like the reports on the guys makeup and clean delivery. He doesn't waste energy in his delivery either, that's fairly obvious in watching his film.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Why should you?

maybe because you're beating this horse to death?

We got your slant a dozen posts ago.

Turn Off Ads?