Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does EE's injury mean we might be looking?

Does EE's injury mean we might be looking?

With EE's setback it forces us to look at some options now that were into June. I like our chances this year in the Central based on our pitching staff, but feel we need to make a move/statement before the others in our division do! So here is my idea:

The Reds need to let Jerry Hairston play 3b full time while EE is out, dropping Rosales from the roster, we then need to acquire an outfield bat from a team willing to move one but at a $$$ that we can afford. The guy I like is Luke Scott from Baltimore.

Reds trade-Chris Dickerson(MLB) and Travis Wood(AA)

Baltimore trades-Luke Scott(MLB)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Does EE's injury mean we might be looking?

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    The Reds need to let Jerry Hairston play 3b full time while EE is out, dropping Rosales from the roster, we then need to acquire an outfield bat from a team willing to move one but at a $$$ that we can afford. The guy I like is Luke Scott from Baltimore.

Reds trade-Chris Dickerson(MLB) and Travis Wood(AA)

Baltimore trades-Luke Scott(MLB)
    The Reds need to play Jerry Hairston? Wow. The Reds need to use Hairston as a supersub and get a third baseman or Edwin back. And trading Dickerson is not an option IMHO.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Hairston is a sub. His bat is nothing special (.747 OPS) and his defense at third has been brutal. His arm is well below average at 3B and SS. He's fine as a utility guy but he's not starter material.

Truer words have never been spoken. For what seems like eons, the Reds have valued these Hairston types--Hairston, Freel, Keppinger, the list could go on and on. I often have looked at the depth chart only to see a Freel or a Hairston listed as the number one option at a position and just almost barfed. The same could be said for many players the FO have led us to believe could make a difference. Oh, they might for a week or so, but in the long run, the Reds need to find regular major leaguers and quit depending on players no one else wants to fill out their starting lineup.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I agree with your points but I just dont see us willing to spend big bucks to acquire that said guy or letting go of prospects at this point. We have a solid farm system as far as pitching goes, but our offensive bats are a few years away, now do we want to give up that pitching to acquire those guys me yes, but for who????? my wish list in order:

1)Matt Holliday-LF RHbat that we need, but will cost us 3 solid prospects and he is a free agent after the year, so if we lose him we get 2 #1's back, or we pay him say 5-6yrs 75million, I say go for it!!!!

2)Mark DeRosa-RH bat plays multiple positions would require at least 1 solid prospect + a B prospect, good 7 hitter, some pop in his bat, salary is affordable, and is a FA after the season.

3)Jermaine Dye-RH bat would be a fine cleanup hitter, fairly expensive, and would cost us 2 solid pitching prospects, but may be the bat we need to compensate for EE's absence at 3rd.

4)Kevin Kousmanoff-LH bat would be a stopgap 3rd baseman till EE's ready, wouldn't cost but a handful of prospects, and would likely be used as trade bait after the season.

decisions decisions, but if its me I offer:

1)Bailey, Roenicke, and Stubbs for Holliday

2)Roenicke for DeRosa

thats my solution to the 3rd base LF problem

Are the Red Sox still shopping Mike Lowell or did that end when they did not get Textiera and with Papi struggling?

Sutton at third. Hairston's defense at third is brutal. Rosales is a sub pure and simple. Sutton's OBP is .407 at Louisville, and I like OBP translating to the majors better than any other indicator. Defense might not be much better than Hairston, though from the little I've heard about him. I'd like to see Rosales go down and Sutton come up for a while, see what he does while Walt works to find a DeRosa or Kouzmanoff to shore things up at third this year. I am not claiming he's the final solution but I see him as possibly a better stop gap than Rosales or Hairston, plus he has always had a bit of stick - lets see if he can hit big leaguers.

Rosales had this line at Louisville prior to being called up: .431/.479/.754 for a 1.233 OPS. He was the I-71 Savior at the end of April. Hopefully Sutton can translate his AAA success to Cincinnati better and more quickly than Rosales has.

I hope we can end the Jerry Hairston Jr. third base experiment sometime soon. Hairston has me missing EdE's defense at third. That blunder he made on Thursday was bad enough, and then today, Hairston has committed two more throwing errors which led to five unearned runs. He now has seven errors and a -1.8 UZR (-18.5 UZR/150) in 180+ innings at 3B this year. He's not a third baseman.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 06-14-2009 at 04:25 PM.

If you listen to Walt and some of the baseball writers, most teams are still in the wait and see mode to figure out if they are buyers or sellers. So there really isn't that big of a market right now. In a few weeks as more teams fall out of the race more players will be available but by that time the Reds might have moved from buyers to sellers. To me the best thing to do is to take a long look at Heisey, Stubbs, and Frazier for some offense and maybe look at Bailey, Viola, and Roenicke for pitching help.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I hope we can end the Jerry Hairston Jr. third base experiment sometime soon. Hairston has me missing EdE's defense at third. That blunder he made on Thursday was bad enough, and then today, Hairston has committed two more throwing errors which led to five unearned runs. He now has seven errors and a -1.8 UZR (-18.5 UZR/150) in 180+ innings at 3B this year. He's not a third baseman.
    When last I looked Rosales had a .611 OPS. So there aren't many choices. Hairston doesn't have the arm for third but the only other choice is Janish, who isn't a third baseman either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    When last I looked Rosales had a .611 OPS. So there aren't many choices. Hairston doesn't have the arm for third but the only other choice is Janish, who isn't a third baseman either.
    No, Rosales isn't hitting, but at least he's playing a solid third base after struggling there early in the season. UZR has him at +1.1 in 207 innings. It's not like Hairston is hitting either. His OPS is at .716 for the season and .437 in June. Neither one is getting the job done.

Call up Frazier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Call up Frazier.
    He's played 14 career minor league games at 3B.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    He's played 14 career minor league games at 3B.
    Which is crazy, IMO. Most of the prospect evaluators think he has the tools to be a solid defensive third baseman. The Reds really messed up by leaving him at SS for so long when they knew he wouldn't stick at SS. I thought he should have been playing 3B since the day he was drafted.

Turn Off Ads?