Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Billy Hamilton

Billy Hamilton

I believe we had a thread for each of the top few picks last year. Here's some stuff on Hamilton.

http://www.fox40now.com/sports/46966362.html

"Hamilton is a freakish athlete with the same type of tools that makes Tampa Bay’s Carl Crawford an all-star, plus the ability to play center field if shortstop doesn’t work out. There is some risk with Hamilton as he hasn’t played baseball at the same high level as most top prospects, and he comes from a rough background (like Crawford) that will take some maturity to overcome. Crawford, by the way, was just the 52nd overall selection in the 1999 draft. A bonus of picking Hamilton in this spot is the ability to spread his bonus money out over a five-year, multi-sport contract due to his football scholarship to Mississippi State."

"Hamilton is an exceptional talent with sub 6.5 speed in the 60-yard dash and the ability to use it on the base paths. In addition to a good glove, a strong arm and solid switch hitting ability, he has a good feel for the game. Signed to play football at Mississippi."
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Billy Hamilton

I really like the Hamilton pick. Great athlete, has the tools to be a good defensive SS, nice potential in the bat, though he's still raw. Baseball Prospectus rated him as the 40th best player in the draft.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I like the Hamilton pick. The Reds have a ton of polished, higher floor and lower ceiling types... I am glad to see a low floor and very high ceiling pick. Every now and again you need to take supreme athletes like that.

I like Hamilton also but would have preferred others at the position, of course some of those guys are still on the board.

From BA (Ranked 98th)

Negatives:
    Raw
    Never has played baseball full time
    Weak competition
    Checked in at 150 pounds at some point within the past several months
    Lacks present strength in his "wispy" frame

Plusses:
    True 70 speed
    Sound RH swing (Is learning to hit LH to take advantage of his speed)
    Great arm strength (can throw 94 mph on the mound)
    Should play in the middle of the diamond if not SS then CF
    Signable
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

It doesn't have much to do with anything but I have plenty of family that went to Taylorsville HS in Mississippi, including my father. I'll really be pulling for Hamilton to make it in the bigs.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    It doesn't have much to do with anything but I have plenty of family that went to Taylorsville HS in Mississippi, including my father. I'll really be pulling for Hamilton to make it in the bigs.
    That makes it more interesting. Its fun when Redszone members have some kind of link. You can be the official Billy Hamilton watcher.

Also sounds like they intend to let him play football and pack on some pounds.

Certainly a project type of guy. It will be fun to follow his development for the next 4-6 years. This is the type of high risk high reward player that small market teams (Reds) need to have pan out.

Love this guy at short stop or center field!
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

I'd love to know the inside thinking about Hamilton's ability to play short. With the comments about his athleticism and his arm, I have to think the FO considers him somebody that can stick at that position. I like the pick; this seems to me one way to get a guy who can really become a top tier major league SS. I hope it works. He'll be a lot of fun to follow.

Justin Reed meets Kenny Lewis meets Gookie Dawkins

Slidin' Billy joins Yor-Man, Duran Duran et al. as Reds developmental staff tries to graduate to the next level. Either this staff defends their theses, or else the Reds spent a lot on feces.

Princeton your point is well taken. The Reds drafts and scouting hasn't bugged me but their developmental staff worries me. I love high ceiling guys like Hamilton, Duran and Yorman but can the Reds develop raw potential? AND that might be another reason Mr. Buckley seems to love the safer picks - the development guys have less chance to screw them up.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Princeton your point is well taken. The Reds drafts and scouting hasn't bugged me but their developmental staff worries me. I love high ceiling guys like Hamilton, Duran and Yorman but can the Reds develop raw potential? AND that might be another reason Mr. Buckley seems to love the safer picks - the development guys have less chance to screw them up.
    in the past, I would have been screeching for the Reds to draft like they did yesterday: overdraft the most polished college pitchers, particularly relievers. that's because the Reds weren't developing ANYONE.

my impression is that things are much better now, but honestly that's due to one or two major data points (Cueto; Votto?), some hopes (Bruce and several lesser players), minor league numbers and a lot of extrapolation. my understanding is that it remains an overworked, underpaid, not-particularly-well-regarded developmental crew. some of the real goofs at the top are gone, at least.

you also want to give Walt something to trade, because the Reds have big 2010 needs that this draft wouldn't supply. I assume that we'll deal pitching; it won't be these guys but at least one of them can hopefully fill the space created by the trades.

Jose Reyes

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Given this kid's apparent speed, I'm surprised that nobody has hearkened back to the original Billy Hamilton, "Sliding Billy," the Hall of Famer . . . Center fielder for Philly and Boston before and at the turn of the century . . . Five different years, stole between 97 and 111 bases . . . Once scored 192 runs . . . Other than Harry Stovey of the American Association, he's the only big-leaguer in history to average over a run a game.

He even has a built-in nickname: The Next Billy Hamilton
    Last edited by mace; 06-10-2009 at 12:22 PM.

Turn Off Ads?