Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris Welsh

Chris Welsh

I don't know about you guys, but I think Chris Welsh does a bangup job on the Reds televison broadcasts. His quality insight makes it more enjoyable. I feel the same about the Cowboy, but I actually like Welsh a little better.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chris Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I think Chris Welsh does a bangup job on the Reds televison broadcasts. His quality insight makes it more enjoyable. I feel the same about the Cowboy, but I actually like Welsh a little better.
    I like Welsh a lot better than Brantley. He makes statements that make my head want to explode. I have to wrap it in duct tape it he's doing the game.

Off the top of my afore mentioned head, I can think of the last Houston series after Bruce hit his homer. He blamed Bruce’s problems on Dunn and Griffey because “they only cared about hitting the ball out of the park and it’s going to take Bruce some time break from that mindset.” Yeah, Jeff what could Jay learn from a first ballot HOFer, quite possibly two HOFers? Let’s see Jay’s biggest problem has been patience at the plate or learning to take a walk and Brantley blames two guys who have, throughout their careers, shown a high proclivity for getting on base and patience at the plate. Really? If you were forced to pick somebody to blame for Bruce’s problems you wouldn’t start with the free swingin’, self proclaimed leader of this team? And maybe go to the “I don’t like base cloggers” manager next? I mean if you were forced to pick someone to blame. Personally, I don’t blame anyone or anything but Jay’s age for his current struggles.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Welsh is by far the best current Reds media figure. He has outstanding insights, doesn't take himself or the game too seriously, and has developed into a top-class color guy. He also became a lot more camera-friendly when he lost the comical mustache. I hope he's on the Reds television team for a long time, which is more than I can say for his partner and several members of the 700 WLW circus.

I like Welsh and agree that he has become a very good "color-guy."

I like his work, too.

Brantley really is more of the "cowboy," laying it out bluntly at times; a Don Meredith type of color guy. (Showing my age there...) Welsh just does an all-around good job. You can listen to him and get something out of it if you're a youngster or a seasoned veteran.

I have to say I have grown tired of Chris. I think it is time we get someone else in the booth. George is beyond terrible. I am not sure how the reds can have two totally different people from radio to tv. Marry tells it like it is. George always paints a pretty rainbow. That is why brantley never does a game with George. Someone would get thrown out of the booth via the window.

I hate hearing right down broadway that chris picked up from the cowboy. And I hate hearing CoCo. That does np sound tough. Of course it is just like the pretty rainbow that George and chris love to talk about.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

I enjoy Welsh quite a bit and always have. I think he is improving as he is paired up with some of the other guys besides George.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post
    I enjoy Welsh quite a bit and always have. I think he is improving as he is paired up with some of the other guys besides George.
    I think you hit the nail on the head here.

Previously when it was only he and George, Chris leaned a little towards homerisms and being a goody two shoes sort. Once Thom came over and was critical, Chris opened up some.

Thom is likely too quick to be critical, and George is too adoring of the golden gods that play the game, but Chris has taken a bit from each and melded it with his own experience as a player and has come out a better announcer as a result.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Welsh is undoubtedly the Reds best TV announcer IMO. By far.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Welsh is undoubtedly the Reds best TV announcer IMO. By far.

That's damning him with faint praise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    That's damning him with faint praise.
    Indeed.

I do think he's a pretty good announcer though.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I couldn't agree more. Welsh is by far the best, and I really enjoy when he and Thom work together. Welsh used to get on my nerves because he acted like George and was so damn goofy. Lately, he's been more insightful and level headed compared to our other color analyst. He criticizes just enough without bashing players the way Marty and the Cowgirl do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Welsh is by far the best, and I really enjoy when he and Thom work together. Welsh used to get on my nerves because he acted like George and was so damn goofy. Lately, he's been more insightful and level headed compared to our other color analyst. He criticizes just enough without bashing players the way Marty and the Cowgirl do it.

I think he changes his style depending on who he is working with. If George is his partner he's all sweetness and light. It it's Thom or Marty, he's more critical. I don't know if it's intentional but he does change his style.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Brantley really is more of the "cowboy," laying it out bluntly at times; a Don Meredith type of color guy. (Showing my age there...)
    Without any of the humor and charm. In my opinion, of course.

I also like what I've heard from Welsh.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I like him, but I'm really distracted this year by his apperance. Am I going crazy or has he taken measures to look younger?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?