Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: anyone have the iphone?

Re: anyone have the iphone?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    What are the price differences with Droid/iPhone? I'm considering trading in my phone and PC to get one. Would I also be able to cancel my internet service and rely on Droid's service?
    There's an app called PDA Net which will allow you to tether for free.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    There's an app called PDA Net which will allow you to tether for free.
    Thank you. That's good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I've had the Motorola Droid for a few weeks too, and I absolutely love it too. Like you, I never had an iPhone (or any other smartphone for that matter) so I don't have anything to compare it too, but the capabilities of the Droid are pretty sweet.

What are some good apps that folks are using? I've downloaded quite a few, some get more use than others, but I'm wondering if there are any others out there that I've missed.
    Shopsavvy is a pretty sweet app if you haven't tried it. It scans bar codes with the camera, then does a price search internet and local retailers. It has come in handy quite a few times already. It is a free app in the Android market.

I also use streamfurious to listen to some of my favorite internet radio stations (woxy, kexp).
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Either of you have any problems with the screen seal issue? I've seen several with dust particles under the screen, even with the invishield or what ever other screen shield they are using.
    I have not had any problems so far.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Real picked me to be a beta tester for the Rhapsody Android app. I've been playing with it for about five minutes with no issues.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Wound up getting a droid eris yesterday. I haven't really searched anywhere yet, but thought this would be a good place to start.... any free baseball apps worth having?

I'm toolsy.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post
    Has anyone tried any of the golf gps apps for the iPhone? I plan on getting a few itunes gift cards this holiday and I'm thinking of using at least some portion of them for a golf gps. Any suggestions?
    It's almost golf season and I'm ready to try one of the golf gps apps. Anyone have any experience with them yet? I have done a little research and I am thinking of either Golf Logix, Golfshot, or ViewTi Golf.

Also, MLB: At Bat 2010 will be available on Feb 28. This was the best $10 I spent last year.

I used ViewTi last summer and had good experiences with it. Easy to use and seemed accurate to me.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I'm toolsy.

Here's a few more decent apps I've been using lately:

WalletZero: Keeps all of your "shoppers cards" (Kroger Plus, Dick's Score Card, Best Buy Rewards, Etc). The app stores all of the bar codes from each card so you don't have to clutter up your wallet or key ring.

Qik Video: This one isn't a freebie, but was worth the $1.99. I have an iPhone 3G, not the 3GS, so I don't have a built-in video camera. This app uses my existing picture camera to take videos by snapping 15 pics per second and stringing them together for very usable video. I'm not saying that it's as good as your Sony Cybershot, but it's handy to have a video camera in my pocket at all times.

Redbox: Locate Redbox movie rental hubs in your area. Find which locations have the movie that you want to see in stock and even reserve it.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I have a iPhone 3G 16GB.. Every week something comes out for it that blows me away. I have T-Mobile so of course my iPhone is Jailbroken/Unlocked. Cydia and Installous are amazing programs.

Rocking:

MLB At Bat
    eBay
    Best Buy
    Chipotle
    PNC Bank
    Madden 10
    Tiger Woods
    Skee Ball
    Bejeweled 2
    ESPN Scorecenter
    Scrabble
    Rock Band
    Cash Cab

Also have the following movies on my iPhone:

Scarface
    Dumb And Dumber
    The Hangover
    Howard The Duck

I'm toolsy.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post

Also have the following movies on my iPhone:

Scarface
    Dumb And Dumber
    The Hangover
    Howard The Duck
    I'm not the most knowledgable iPhone owner in the land . . . How do the movies work? Buy them on iTunes, sync my phone, then what? How much space does each movie take up?

I'm toolsy.

Does anyone know of any GOOD forums dedicated to apps / iPhone use?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Currently on my iPhone:

- Ohio Revised Code 2009 (for work use)
    - Now Playing (best free app for browsing movie times)
    - Wikipanion (free wikipedia client)
    - ESPN ScoreCenter
    - TweetDeck (free twitter client)
    - Facebook
    - MLB At Bat
    - PNC Bank Mobile
    - AT&T myWireless (pay cell phone bill and check usage)
    - Pandora (free internet radio)
    - Yelp (local restaraunt guide)
    - IMDb (free movie database access)
    - Tiger Woods Golf
    - Scrabble
    - Bejeweled 2
    - Paper Toss
    - Mega Man II (was only .99 -- nostalgia alone made it worth it)

Also, on the jailbreak side of things:
    - Cydia (jailbreak app store)
    - Winterboard (lets you control the look of the phone's springboard)
    - LockInfo (displays upcoming appointments and recent e-mails on the lock screen for quick access)
    - 5 App Dock (allows 5 apps in the dock)
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 02-24-2010 at 01:36 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post
    It's almost golf season and I'm ready to try one of the golf gps apps. Anyone have any experience with them yet? I have done a little research and I am thinking of either Golf Logix, Golfshot, or ViewTi Golf.
    I've used Golf Card, ViewTi, and Golfshot. They all have different strengths and weaknesses. Here's my take on the 3 (keep in mind this is based on the latest version I used the end of last season):

Golf Card - This is is the cheapest of the three at $8, but it has by far the weakest GPS. It has more options than the other as far as stat tracking, but if you're primarily wanting to use it for GPS, it's very inflexible and sluggish. They don't walk any of the courses, so you have a few options:

1 - Hope someone else has marked it. If they have, it's been uploaded and you can use their's. Problem is, you have to hope they were accurate.

2 - You can mark the course yourself. This is not that hard to do, but you probably want to do it during a round where there's no one on the course and you're alone with a cart. I brought my daughter with me once and showed her how to mark the spots and had her run around while I was playing.

3 - There's a program you can put on your PC that allows you to use Google Earth (or Google Maps I don't recall which one). You can then mark the locations on this program and it will get downloaded on your phone. This is convenient, but hard to be as accurate.

Even if the course is marked accurately, it's still a very non-user friendly GPS interface. I used this program first, but the GPS was just too difficult to use.

The only other thing I didn't care for was that it tracks statistics by course and not overall. But you can track a lot of stats on this one and it uploads to oobgolf which is very nice.

ViewTi - This one is a little over-priced, IMO, but it has the most accurate and easiest to use GPS. It doesn't take too long to refresh either. The program has a couple of views. The one where you enter your scoring will have just the distance to the middle of the green. But if you go to the map mode, you can drag a cursor to wherever you want to measure.

The GPS with this program has been extremely accurate. I was surprised at how dead on it was as I played several times with guys using Sky Caddies and I was spot on them. The cursor gives you so much more flexibility as will. You can drag it to anywhere and it will tell you the yardage. It always works seamlessly as well.

The other positive is they have a ton of courses in their database. Most of the courses I played were marked, and they were marked by professionals, so it's very accurate.

One downside to this GPS is that you have to move the cursor to just about any distance which can slow you down a little.

The only other downside other than price is the stat tracking. You can enter total shots for a hole, fairway hit or missed left or right, and total putts. It doesn't allow you to track driving distance, sand shots, or anything else. It does not allow penalty stroke tracking which is something I like to have. Also, it keeps it for single rounds and nothing else. As far as I know you can't look back at your past 10 rounds and see your GIR %. It also does not allow you to upload your stats anywhere else, which I like to do.

If you're looking primarily for GPS and not for stat tracking, this is probably the best option.

Golfshot - This is the one I started using most towards the end of the season and the one I will most likely use going forward. This one is kind of in the middle of the other two. It allows you pretty good stat tracking and to track them cumulatively while also uploading them for use other than the iPhone. But the GPS is also very accurate, but not quite as flexible as ViewTi (although it's getting pretty close). This one also has a great database of courses as most of them I play are in there with a couple of exceptions.

The interface for this one looks just like a Sky Caddie or other GPS device. The main screen has a listing of key distances such as center of green, front and back of green, lay up to 100 or 150, distances to hazards, etc... But this does not show the map, just the distances (again, similar to Sky Caddie). At the same time, it has been very accurate and updates fairly quickly (this one gets tricky on the course because you can drive up to the ball, look at your GPS for a distance and then 10 seconds later it's different because it takes some time to refresh. All the apps are like this and will not update as fast as a Sky Caddie).

This program also has a map you can pull where you can drag a circle to a spot and get the distance but it's never worked well for me. It's very sluggish and you can't zoom in enough to know if you're on the right spot or off a few yards. I rarely use the map.

As for stat tracking, it's not as good as Golf Shot, but better than ViewTi. You can track which club you hit and can mark your shot to track distance. You can track fairways hit, left or right miss, GIR, sand shots, and penalties. This is pretty much all I look at, although I do like to track distances of putts which only Golf Card allows.

It saves all your stats and you can view them cumulatively or by trend.

It all depends on your specific needs. If you are looking for the most effective GPS, go for ViewTi. If you want to the best score and stat tracking, go for Golf Card. If you're looking for something that's pretty good at both, go for Golf Shot.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I'm toolsy.

Thank you VERY much, MWM. I really appreciate that rundown of the golf gps apps. Given your reviews, I will probably end up using the ViewTi, as the gps function is the most important thing for me.

Turn Off Ads?