Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ACT Test

ACT Test

I'm taking one tomorrow. Any advice, tips, etc.?

It's just for practice, and I think I'm ready, but I still thought I'd see if anyone had any advice.

Thanks,
    I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ACT Test

Learn the format of the test so you don't have to waste time reading directions and make sure you answer all of the questions even if you have to guess (but ideally you will have enough time to at least eliminate some of the potential answers). Make sure you eat before you take the test.

If it's just a practice test, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    I'm taking one tomorrow. Any advice, tips, etc.?

It's just for practice, and I think I'm ready, but I still thought I'd see if anyone had any advice.

Thanks,
    It shouldn't be too hard. Joseph's cat took the test and scored a 14.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=10

The good news is the practice ACT is very much like the actual ACT. You get a very good feel for what you will need to do to prepare. The keys are to be conscious of time, but not to panic and move to fast because you think you are under a time crunch. I took it twice and finished in plenty of time. If you don't know the answer to a question, as pahster said, don't leave it blank. A nice steady pace is the best way to do it. Don't rush, but don't take too much time on one question either.

The part of the test that seemed to hurt most of my friends who scored low was the anxiety. Don't worry about the test. Get up early, eat some breakfast, and clear your mind to prepare for the test. Most of what will be on there you already know.

Back when I took the test, there was one question with two of the multiple choice answers the same. The problem was, the correct answer was the one duplicated. I'm still slightly miffed about that.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

In multiple choice tests, if you aren't sure of the answer, then answer the question before and after that question. Then choose a different letter, as those tests rarely repeat the same answer twice.

Ex. #1 is B.
    #3 is D.
    Guess A or C for #2 if you aren't sure.

Also, I think I read somewhere that C is the most common answer on multiple choice tests, so when in doubt, go with C.

good luck!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

My kid took it last year. He said it was harder than the SAT, which he had taken a prep course for and taken 3 times before it, and he didn't score as well on it.

If you don't like your score on the ACT, you might consider taking the SAT.

According to my kid, some of those tests penalize a wrong answer more than no answer. I can't remember which is which, but make sure you research the rules on the test you're taking before you employ a guessing strategy.
    /r/reds

Most Ohio universities prefer the ACT for entrance admissions but will accept either. If the student is particularly good at math, the SAT is the better test since a greater portion of it is math.

Does the ACT require an essay like the SAT does now?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Does the ACT require an essay like the SAT does now?
    Yes, it has essay answers.

Does anyone know how much advanced math/science is on it? It seems that the ACT emphasizes logical thinking over actually knowing advanced math/sci, but I'm curious. If it does have advanced material, I should be fine; as long as there's no calculus, which I haven't taken yet.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

I took the test 8 years ago, but don't make the same mistake I did. I was in the hallway during break talking with a couple friends, I lost track of time and realized that I had missed 10 minutes of one of my testlets. I hurried back to the room and scrambled just to skim the questions and get it done. I still managed to do pretty decent on the test though.

So my advice is to do your business and get back to the test room during breaks, there will be plenty of time to talk with friends after the test is over. Good luck!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Back when I took it, 1997, there was no penalty for guessing incorrectly, whereas IIRC, the SAT penalized you for guessing incorrectly.

If this is still the case, then I would answer every question.

On the brink of disaster

The advice people have given for years is to answer c if you don't know. However that is not really the case. The only thing I can offer that actually works slightly more than the average chance of guessing is go for the wordiest answers. The test writers are given the answers from people who design the question, so they usually aren't experts on the matter, therefore the other answers are generally shorter and don't include as much detailed info. Also, if a question offers an answer that says something like "Both A and B" are correct, then usually that is the one that is correct. It is important however that you don't second guess yourself since your gut feeling is correct most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    It shouldn't be too hard. Joseph's cat took the test and scored a 14.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=10
    I'd shoot for a score higher than 14 though. You'll never hear the end of it from my cat if not.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Eat breakfast and get a good night's sleep. A steady pace and don't dwell too long on a question. Wear clean socks.

I've sheparded my kids through multiple tests. Taking care of body and soul beforehand seems to be the best thing. Being hungry and tired and frazzled is bad. If you've been paying attention at school the last 12 years, you should do fine.

Ohio schools use it over the ACT. My daughter got a full academic scholarship through her ACT score at Ohio U.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

If you've been paying attention at school the last 12 years, you should do fine.
    Actually, I'm still in 10th grade, which is one of my biggest concerns. If there's calculus or advanced physics...

But thanks for the tips, all of you!
    Feel free to keep 'em comin'.

Turn Off Ads?