Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone have the iphone?

Re: anyone have the iphone?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    So does anyone have the Droid at this point? If so, any early feedback?
    I got one on the release date. If you want it to be the iPhone, you'll be disappointed. In some ways the Droid is better, it other ways it is not. But it's like Cincinnati style chili, you can't try it for the first time with a preconceived notion of what chili is supposed to be because you'll hate it.

BTW, I love my phone, all its functionality, performance, the QWERTY keyboard (sorry R4L, it doesn't suck). The camera software is indeed slow, as R4L mentions. But overall, I give it a big thumbs up.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm with paint. I actually find the keyboard to be very easy to use and more accurate than the soft/ virtual keyboard.

The camera's flash is a bonus.

BTW, the Droid is scheduled for an OTA update on 12-11. Should fix most of the launch bugs.

And Google Navigation is sweet.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm not looking for an iPhone, so no disappointment there. Has anyone loaded their music on the phone? I've read that synching music is a pain. Any truth to that?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I'm toolsy.

Has anyone tried any of the golf gps apps for the iPhone? I plan on getting a few itunes gift cards this holiday and I'm thinking of using at least some portion of them for a golf gps. Any suggestions?

A quick update....I recently purchased the droid. I absolutely love it. I've never used an iphone so I can't compare one to the other, but the droid does everything I could ask for. If anyone has any questions about it, feel free to ask.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    A quick update....I recently purchased the droid. I absolutely love it. I've never used an iphone so I can't compare one to the other, but the droid does everything I could ask for. If anyone has any questions about it, feel free to ask.
    I've had the Motorola Droid for a few weeks too, and I absolutely love it too. Like you, I never had an iPhone (or any other smartphone for that matter) so I don't have anything to compare it too, but the capabilities of the Droid are pretty sweet.

What are some good apps that folks are using? I've downloaded quite a few, some get more use than others, but I'm wondering if there are any others out there that I've missed.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

What are the price differences with Droid/iPhone? I'm considering trading in my phone and PC to get one. Would I also be able to cancel my internet service and rely on Droid's service?

Either of you have any problems with the screen seal issue? I've seen several with dust particles under the screen, even with the invishield or what ever other screen shield they are using.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    What are the price differences with Droid/iPhone? I'm considering trading in my phone and PC to get one. Would I also be able to cancel my internet service and rely on Droid's service?
    I can't help with the iPhone comparison since I've never had an iPhone. As far as the Internet service and if you can do without PC Internet access, it really depends on what you use the Internet for.

If it's strictly browsing/looking at pages, email, posting on message boards, etc., then yea you could probably get by. I think a Flash player will be launched for the Droid sometime this year (so far I haven't been able to watch any non YouTube videos). Some sites have scaled down mobile versions which aren't as detailed as their full site on a PC. File downloading is also hit-or-miss depending on what type of file you're downloading.

I've been using the Droid Internet as more of a supplement while I'm on the go. For me, I have the ability to do most common things away from the PC, but not everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Either of you have any problems with the screen seal issue? I've seen several with dust particles under the screen, even with the invishield or what ever other screen shield they are using.
    I haven't had that issue yet, though I've only had the phone a little more than two weeks. That'll be something I'll have to watch though. I do have a bubble on the screen seal that's kind of annoying though since the VZW rep didn't quite put the seal on correctly, but oh well.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Phone price is equal (each are $199), it's more of a plan/service deal (Verizon vs. AT&T). If you just use the Internet to browse, check email or use compatible programs lightly, I think you could do it.

I'm going to (finally) jump on the smartphone bandwagon in the next few weeks. I've had Verizon for years, and in my situation, works best. The phones I am considering are:

Moto Droid
    Palm Pre Plus (Jan 25 release date)
    Blackberry Tour2 (Feb 3 rumored release date)
    HTC TouchPro2

There are pros and cons to each, but ideally I'd like a phone I can use as a WiFi hotspot for my wife's iPod touch. That way she can log on to my phone's data service and do some light browsing. I know I can do this with a Windows Mobile phone (the above HTC TouchPro2) using the WMWiFiRouter app and I believe I will be able to do this with the Palm Pre Plus (as it was announced to have a similar feature). To my knowledge I can't do this with a Blackberry (Tetherberry does not support the iPod touch) or the Droid.

Decisions, decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    Phone price is equal (each are $199), it's more of a plan/service deal (Verizon vs. AT&T). If you just use the Internet to browse, check email or use compatible programs lightly, I think you could do it.

I'm going to (finally) jump on the smartphone bandwagon in the next few weeks. I've had Verizon for years, and in my situation, works best. The phones I am considering are:

Moto Droid
    Palm Pre Plus (Jan 25 release date)
    Blackberry Tour2 (Feb 3 rumored release date)
    HTC TouchPro2

There are pros and cons to each, but ideally I'd like a phone I can use as a WiFi hotspot for my wife's iPod touch. That way she can log on to my phone's data service and do some light browsing. I know I can do this with a Windows Mobile phone (the above HTC TouchPro2) using the WMWiFiRouter app and I believe I will be able to do this with the Palm Pre Plus (as it was announced to have a similar feature). To my knowledge I can't do this with a Blackberry (Tetherberry does not support the iPod touch) or the Droid.

Decisions, decisions.
    I'll be getting my Palm Pre Plus in the mail in the next couple of days. I'll let you know what I think.

Wow, getting one early? Very nice. Definitely let me/us know what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    Wow, getting one early? Very nice. Definitely let me/us know what you think!
    I do rep work for Palm. I have the Pre and Pixi for Sprint right now, I am interested to see what they've with the Pre Plus.

If price is big point for you, you should consider the HTC Hero or Samsung Moment on Sprint's network. They are both Android phones. Personally I think the Hero is a better build, but both are really great phones. You get full access to the Android app cataloge and they have most of the features the Moto Droid has. But Sprint's plans are much cheaper than Verizon.

My wife has had the Hero for about a month. It's a really cool phone. I love the option to search Google by voice, something which my phones don't have. And there are a ton of Android/HTC widgets you can add to your "start" pages that are great as well.

Verizon's network is a little better right now, but Sprint is coming out with their 4g network and it fantastic. Austin is one of the test cities for it and my mobile internet can really move.

And just so you know I'm not in anyway affiliated with Sprint, just saying if you have the ability to go anywhere and get a new contract Sprint's not a bad option.

I love downloading music and playing games, so based on everything I've heard, it sounds like my best option is to jailbreak an iPhone.

Turn Off Ads?