Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mark Fleury (Catcher, UNC)

Re: Mark Fleury (Catcher, UNC)

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    OK, how about "more bad luck than the average MLB team"? Is that better? I know what you're saying though DD... it's the hardest position to fill with a legit player. But wouldn't you agree that over the last 30 years the Reds have had worse luck than the average MLB team finding catchers in the draft? I think we've had Joe Oliver and that's it since JB moved from catcher to third (and then first). Dan Wilson had a decent MLB career with the Mariners, but I don't count him. Dane Sardinha was awful, Mesoraco is looking like a bust in the making, Tatum wasn't very good for a third-rounder... I could go on and on.

I just hope Fleury helps end this trend. Then again, if we keep getting undrafted players like Ryan Hanigan that can play catcher well at the MLB level and hit well, I'll be all good. ;-)
    Some of that is 'bad luck', but I think most of it comes from flat-out 'bad drafting'. Almost nothing of quality came through the Reds system through all those years with Bowden. The Reds finally have competent people in the front office, and we may finally see a quality catcher come up through the system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

We won't know what he's like until get gets to AA. No previous experience can prepare him for that. That's where Catchers learn the nuances of professional baseball and the importance of play-calling that's involved with the position. Mesoraco will spend a few years there. It won't be a knock on him that he does. It's just the most difficult level to master, Catcher at the AA level. If you get past that, you can, at the very least, be a defensive replacement in the Majors.

If Johnny Bench wants to help the REDS, I'd love to see him spend some serious time at Carolina.

Bumping this old thread to seek some updates on Mark Fleury.

With Grandal gone, Fleury seems to be a little more important to the organization. Last season, Fleury was limited to a little over 200 PAs while Grandal got much of the time at A+, but he did produce an overall line of .269/.385/.412/.797 at 3 levels (mostly at A+). It seems like he should be ready for AA in 2012, but with the ranks thinned by departures of Hernandez and Grandal, Fleury might become a key guy if some one goes down with an injury. A quck start in AA with a promotion to AAA would make the depth chart look a little better.

Fleury is overlooked in our prospect rankings, but he was a 4th round pick with some college background, has held his own offensively and has a lefty bat which is fairly rare in a catcher. Need more information about his defense, but a bump to AAA at some point in 2012 while being in position for a call-up if needed seems reasonable. Anyone with any info to add on Fleury?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Dunno if he profiles as a major leaguer, especially with Tucker Barnhart right on his heels. He had a good, overlooked season, but I think he's a bit far away to be a legitimate option as a backup catcher this year (which is probably still Corky if he sticks around).

He's an offense-first catcher. It'd be a surprise if he had as good of a career as Javier Valentin's imho.

Hopefully, Fleury and/or Barnhardt are ready to challenge for a backup spot when Hanigan leaves for FA in a couple of years. Corky should be back at AAA and with Yasmani gone, it might not be a bad idea to find another experienced journeyman for Lousiville in case of injury. A guy that might be ablem to help young pitchers wouldn't hurt either.

-The Insider-

Yeah I have been wondering who will split time with Corky in Louisville. I would assume that Fleury and Coddington will be in Pensacola.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Yeah I have been wondering who will split time with Corky in Louisville. I would assume that Fleury and Coddington will be in Pensacola.
    Reds should be expected to pick up a vet catcher they can stock at AAA in case of an injury. I don't think Corky is the answer at this point.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds should be expected to pick up a vet catcher they can stock at AAA in case of an injury. I don't think Corky is the answer at this point.
    Yeah. I looked at the minor league catchers who are still free agents and I recognized a lot of the names, but none really jumped out to me as "that's who we need to sign."

The Reds should claim this guy on waivers: http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...artilu02.shtml

-The Insider-

Wouldn't be a bad pickup. He has options left and has hit decently in the minors. The roster currently stands at 37, so wouldn't be a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The Reds should claim this guy on waivers: http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...artilu02.shtml
    You'd think if they had any interest in him the Reds could have had him tossed into the Latos deal since he was cut from S.D. the day after they got Grandal.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    You'd think if they had any interest in him the Reds could have had him tossed into the Latos deal since he was cut from S.D. the day after they got Grandal.
    I agree. I'm getting the sense that they're going to look into obtaining a veteran instead.

Whats Javier doing these days???

The Rangers announced that they have acquired catcher Luis Martinez from the Padres in exchange for right-hander Ryan Kelly (via Twitter).

Martinez, 26, has been added to Texas' 40-man roster. The right-handed hitter appeared in 22 games with the Friars in 2011, hitting .203/.309/.305 in 68 plate appearances.

Kelly, 24, was a 26th-round pick of the Pirates in 2006. He has a 4.50 career ERA over five minor league seasons.

Turn Off Ads?