Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reds Picks MLB Draft 2009

Re: Reds Picks MLB Draft 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    You know, it's so in vogue to trash Keith Law right now. But I'll tell you, he's one of the few so called "draft experts" that actually has a real opinion. It's better than watching Jim Callis compliment every single freaking pick. Law may be fun to disagree with, but he at least brings some analysis to the table, and for that, I think his opinion is at least worth considering.
    I agree with you in that he deserves credit for going out on a limb, but at the same time, Law deserves much of the criticism he gets for the reason that he so often says stuff that is wrong and/or stupid.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds stay according to plan in Draft
    Cincy bolsters middle-infield depth, takes more college players
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

06/11/09 6:08 PM ET

CINCINNATI -- The Reds have tried to get stronger up the middle of the field at the Major League level. That philosophy was reflected in the organization's picks during the 2009 First-Year Player Draft.

Of the 50 picks made by the Reds over the Draft, which concluded on Thursday, there were 23 pitchers (including three lefties), seven middle infielders, seven center fielders and six catchers.

"We took a lot of pitching," Reds senior director of scouting Chris Buckley said. "We got a good amount of catching and a number of athletic guys for the middle of the field. When guys can play in the middle of the field, it usually gives that much better of a chance to get there because they can do more things."

Overall, Buckley was pleased with the outcome, even though it won't be known whether his choices will pan out in three to five years. The front office's area scouts attempted not to leave any potential prospect unseen.

"You take it seriously," Buckley said of the Draft. "If they're going to give you 50 picks, I think you should take 50. We have to get two [Rookie-level] teams ready to play on June 23 -- Billings and [Gulf Coast League Reds]. You do have to fill some needs. Sometimes when you take a player just to fill the need, he surprises you and is a bit better than you thought. A lot of times, a kid's makeup and desire push them over the top."

Over the past three days, 34 of the Reds' picks were college players. Although four of the first 10 picks were from high school, the overall ratio of high school vs. college selections fell in line with Buckley's pattern since he joined the Reds in 2006.

"Sometimes you do that by design -- like if you go to an organization that might need a jump-start," Buckley said. "If everything is equal, the college guy is closer to the big leagues. But you see it trend that way a little bit as signability becomes an issue. A college junior is going to be less expensive than a high school guy. A high school guy has four years left. A college guy has one."

Only one selection made by the Reds was a local product. It was first baseman Thomas Nurre, who was taken in the 38th round. Nurre attended St. Xavier High School and was a junior at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

Cincinnati's first-round pick, eighth overall, was right-handed pitcher Mike Leake from Arizona State University. Leake is a six-foot-tall starter known for throwing ground balls.

Was he the right choice for the Reds? Time will tell.

"Someone might say Leake was conservative," Buckley said. "I don't see how somebody could say that. It's a lot easier to take the guy that's 6-foot-4. They tell you it's what you're supposed to do. It's a very subjective business. I remember we were criticized in Toronto for taking Vernon Wells and Alex Rios. The whole point is there aren't that many consensus players. [Nationals' overall No. 1 pick] Stephen Strasburg was the one."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Round 14, 419th overall, RHP Timothy Crabbe:
    A junior at Westmont College in California, Crabbe was 3-8 with a 5.35 ERA in 16 games, including 12 starts in 2009. In 72 1/3 innings, he walked 61 and struck out 65.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    Umm, wow. I wonder what in the world they were thinking with this one...
    Last edited by Farney; 06-11-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farney View Post
    Perhaps very live arm, very rough mechanics that they want to clean up?

Quote Originally Posted by Farney View Post
    From the Westmont College website:

Westmont right-handed hurler Tim Crabbe was selected by the Cincinnati Reds in the fourteenth round of the 2009 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft.

“It’s exciting,” said Crabbe about the selection. “There are still a lot of questions. I have more years of (college) eligibility so I need to negotiate with the Reds tomorrow and over the weekend. I’ve got to look at every situation. I’ll talk it over with my parents and make a decision.”

After sitting out most of the 2008 season due to an injury, Crabbe struggled at the beginning of 2009 to get his form back. But as the season progressed, so did Crabbe’s performance on the mound. In the final start of his junior year, Crabbe turned in a complete game 4-2 victory against Azusa Pacific. The resident of Tucson, Arizona retired 19 consecutive batters while allowing one earned run on three hits.

With a fast ball consistently in the low to mid 90s, Crabbe attracted attention not only from the Reds, but also the Angles, Cardinals and Phillies. But it was the Reds that pulled the trigger with the 419th overall selection.

“I talked with the Reds this morning while the draft was going on,” said Crabbe. “One of the things they want to know is if you want to sign. If there is no way you are going to sign they won’t draft you because they don’t want to waste a pick. I was on the phone with the Reds and some other teams. Once the Reds decided to take me, I got a call from Rex De La Nuez, the area scout that had seen me throw. After the selection, he congratulated me and let me know how everything was going to workout.”

On Sunday, Crabbe pitched his first game as a member of the Santa Barbara Foresters, reigning champions of the National Baseball Congress. Crabbe allowed just five hits in the seven inning affair and produced a complete game shutout over the San Diego Waves. While Crabbe fanned eight batters and allowed just one walk, the Foresters put up six runs to claim the victory.

“Going into the seventh inning, I had thrown a decent amount of pitches but I told them I felt good and could finish the game for them,” said Crabbe.

While the Reds would like to sign Crabbe in the next few days, Crabbe wants to give the decision proper consideration. “I don’t want to rush it. Technically I have until August 15th which is the last day you can sign. I want to make sure all the bases are covered.”
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Sometimes guys like Crabbe look bad on the numbers but still have very good tools with proper coaching to correct problems. That's how scouts earn their money. If you're getting a guy like that with pick #419 what's the problem? The only issue I see is he still has elegibility so he may elect school one more year to improve his numbers and his money chances.

Reds made VERY interesting tactical use of the throwaway rounds, drafting teammates/cousins of players that they have more interest in signing. An "enlist with your buddy" approach. maybe another reason that Buckley's great at getting kids to sign. Let's hope that UC-Santa Barbara, Young Harris, and Taylorsville HS were talent-rich in 2009.

Reds made VERY interesting tactical use of the throwaway rounds, drafting teammates/cousins of players that they have more interest in signing. An "enlist with your buddy" approach. maybe another reason that Buckley's great at getting kids to sign. Let's hope that UC-Santa Barbara, Young Harris, and Taylorsville HS were talent-rich in 2009.
    Agreed. Pretty astute drafting. The other interesting approach was the dueling tough HS signs -- Barnhart v. Fowler at catcher (rounds 10 and 16) and Marrero v Perez at SS (rounds 16 and 17). I have a feeling they'll tell these kids they have a big chunk of $$$ for one catcher and one SS -- who wants it? Although I would love to see them get both Perez and Marrero and let them play together in the middle infield.

Whatever the motivation behind the strategy, it appears they've really crafted an approach for getting good high school talent that dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Hopefully they can take some of the money they saved on the signability guys at the top and use it to sign the high school shortstops from Miami. Those guys intrigue me (although I also liked the last SS they took from Gulliver, David Espinosa.)
    baseball (Robert Duyos, S-S / May 27, 2009)

Marrero might go to college

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/h...,5903597.story

Devin Marrero
    Position: Shortstop

Statistics: .400 BA, 35 runs, 25 RBI, 8 HR

Season highlight: Marrero, one of just four seniors on the Patriot roster, helped lead Heritage to its second consecutive berth in the Class 3A state title game. He had a solid showing in Nova's Titan Classic, going 2 for 3 in the championship game to earn tournament MVP honors.

Of note: Marrero, an Arizona State signee, was known across Broward County for his offensive production, but he prides himself most on his defense, particularly the way he can turn a backhand play. "That's my bread and butter. I work really hard on that." His coaches and teammates also valued his leadership—and his versatility. He pitched on occasion and played in all 35 of Heritage's games.

Athlete's comment: "The best part of this year for me was watching all of our freshmen and seeing how they stepped up. We had five freshmen that stepped up and they were the catalysts. We only had two senior starters. The freshmen carried us the whole way."

Coach's comment: "He was our heart and soul, bottom line. He made everything go on our team and was such a great leader. Not necessarily that he was vocal, but just how he went about his work. He was energetic and our young kids just fed off that. I think that was what carried us to a successful season. The young kids just bought into what he brought to the table."—Todd Fitz-Gerald

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Not to mention Perez and Marrero are both in Florida High Schools.

It may be paying off as I just saw on Marrero's facebook wall Perez wrote this, " Stephen Perez yo lets sign so we can be on the same team"

It may pay off!!

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post

It may be paying off as I just saw on Marrero's facebook wall Perez wrote this, " Stephen Perez yo lets sign so we can be on the same team"

It may pay off!!
    Nice. I would be thrilled if one of them signed, but it would be even better if they both sign.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post

It may pay off!!
    Maybe their old HS teammate JC Sulbaran gave them a call? I know if I were the Reds I would be asking for him to make a call or 5.

Sounds to me like they can get Perez signed, at least, if they pony up. Both would be sweet.

Shedding MLB salary may be the way.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Fellhauer is batting third for Fullerton in the CWS against Virginia right now (elimination game) and he is 2-for-3 including a double off the wall. He's a small, but powerful left-handed hitter with what looks like a smooth swing.

Turn Off Ads?