Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Draft Info

Re: 2009 Draft Info

Laurel Leader Call Paper

Published June 11, 2009 10:32 am -

Taylorsville's Hamilton top pick from Mississippi
    Star selected in 2nd round by Reds

By Michael Boykin, To the Leader Call —

When it comes to Taylorsville, the automatic image coming to mind is sports. The tiny town without a single traffic light and a mere population of less than 2,000 has always been a hotbed for championship sports. No. 1 rankings and state championships from Tartar football, baseball, basketball, cheerleading or track teams are viable on an annual basis.

Tartar football players Tim Moffett, Marcus Keys, Jason Campbell and Tim Duckworth eventually found themselves in the NFL. After attending Alcorn State, John McGill was drafted into the NBA by the Knicks.

Current South Panola baseball coach Patrick Robey and current Taylorsville head coach Dusty Hillman came close with brief careers in the independent leagues.

As far as baseball is concerned, no Tartar has ever been drafted by a Major League Baseball team -- until Tuesday night, when Billy Hamilton was drafted by the Cincinnati Reds.

Most people around the town are involved with summer league baseball in some form or fashion. So it was not long before residents caught word of Hamilton. The multi-talented athlete has excelled in just as many sports as he has been able to play, en route to being known throughout as one of the nation’s best athletes.

Hamilton began showcasing his extraordinary skills while playing on those summer league fields. He started standing out from the crowd by leading the Taylorsville All-Star team to Dixie Youth World Series appearances with instinctive hitting and acrobatic catches.

The son of Polly Booth and John Page, Hamilton has seen his family increase over the years. Jim Wade Ford, father of Hamilton’s teammate Tanner, took a special interest in the phenom during his early years and considers him as another son. The whole community has since taken him in as a local hero.

Most serious athletes these days tend to focus on one sport in which to specialize. The 6-foot, 165-pound Hamilton not only participated in multiple sports throughout high school, but also seemed to dominate in each and every one.

His skills shone brightly as he guided the Tartars to state championship appearances in baseball, basketball and football. During his freshman year, the Tartar baseball team lost standout Britt Ford to injury towards the end of the season. Hamilton stepped in right away, helped the team win the state title and has never looked back.

Hamilton starred at receiver and defensive back for the Tartar football team, ranking among the state’s leaders in receptions, yards receiving and interceptions. After the end of the season, he was chosen All-State and participated in the highly regarded Mississippi/Alabama All-Star Classic in Mobile, Ala.

In basketball, Hamilton was one of the South’s most respected players and top scorers, averaging around 35 points and 10 assists per game. The guard was named All-State and Dandy Dozen by the Clarion-Ledger for his efforts, which included multiple contests in which he scored at least 50 points. Hamilton was chosen to participate in an All-Star game for basketball as well. He was named Best Offensive Player.

Baseball, however, is widely regarded as Hamilton’s best sport and personal favorite. It would be hard to argue the fact. Hamilton enjoyed a junior season where he batted .520 with 5 homeruns, by following with a .448 batting average, 4 homeruns, 28 runs batted in and 26 stolen bases during his senior campaign. Again, the Clarion-Ledger awarded him with All-State and Dandy Dozen honors.

Hamilton participated in the Crossroads Diamond Club 1A/2A/3A All-Star game at Trustmark Park Saturday, becoming the South’s Most Valuable Player. Ford, a Jones County Junior College signee, joined him on the squad, winning the Most Outstanding Hitter award as well.

Hamilton’s cousin Darion Hamilton has been there throughout the moments of pressure. Keeping each other grounded has been a main goal for the duo. Darion, who may also be drafted, has always played second fiddle to Billy, even while excelling in the same three sports. The All-State Hamiltons are very close and can usually be spotted together around town.

Last summer, Hamilton traveled to Florida to participate in the East Coast Prospect Showcase. Scouts took notice when Hamilton was recorded as the fastest player at the showcase. His efforts resulted in articles about Hamilton from Baseball America and Minor League Baseball.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Laurinburg Exchange

Lowery taken in 27th round by Cincinnati Reds
    by Michael Gilliland

Derrick Lowery has reinvented himself on the diamond since his days at Scotland High School.

There, the 2006 North Carolina 4-A state championship series Most Valuable Player was a dominant pitcher whose stuff only got better when the pressure rose.

Lowery went from baffling batters to owning pitchers in his two years at Young Harris Junior College. Now, he may have the chance to do it at the professional level, as the Cincinnati Reds took Lowery in the 27th round of the 2009 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft on Wednesday.

The 21-year-old Lowery, who throws and bats left-handed, and who is 6-foot-1 and 215 pounds, was the 719th overall pick of the draft. Many in this area felt he would be drafted out of high school in 2006, and Lowery was glad to finally hear his name called by a Major League team.

"It felt good," Lowery said. "It was just a relief, to finally have it happen."

Lowery put up monster offensive numbers while playing first base at Young Harris in 2009. He hit .431 (75-for-174) with 17 homers, 12 doubles, 87 RBIs, a .538 on-base percentage and an .828 slugging percentage in 51 games. Lowery also scored 64 runs, walked 36 times and was hit by a pitch on 10 occasions.

Aside from his season at Young Harris, it was a workout in front of scouts from the Cincinnati Reds just before the draft that really helped Lowery.

"I just had a good day there," said Lowery, who said he hit four or five home runs during batting practice at the Reds workout. "Everything went well, and I just had a really good day."

Lowery's former Scotland teammate, Nick Liles, was with him at the Cincinnati workout. Lowery was in Liles' living room, watching the draft with Nick and his father Steve when the Reds selected him.

Liles was picked by the San Francisco Giants in the seventh round on Wednesday. He was conducting a telephone interview with The Laurinburg Exchange at the time Lowery's name was called out.

"This is great for both of us," said Liles. "Derrick and I went to Cincinnati together... This is exciting."

Lowery said the Reds like him as a first baseman, but that he could be used elsewhere.

"They think that's what they want to use me as, a first baseman," said Lowery. "They did say that if that doesn't work out, they might push me back to the mound."

Lowery also has options. He has a scholarship from Western Carolina University on the table, so if the money or opportunity with the Reds is not right, he can always go to WCU, where he could do just as Liles has done by playing in the Catamount program and improving his draft stock.

"I'll probably talk to some coaches and see what advice they have to give," said Lowery. "It will mainly depend on what happens when Cincinnati offers.

"If what they offer me isn't too good, I'll be going to Western Carolina."
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Tim Dunn 46th Round pick

The Nashville City Paper

Trevecca pitcher gets it Dunn
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 at 2:11am
    By David Boclair

Trevecca's Tim Dunn is the winningest pitcher in the NAIA during the regular season.

It’s not exactly accurate to say that all Tim Dunn does is win. The Trevecca Nazarene ace sure does not lose much, though.

The junior right-hander out of Bardstown, Ky. took a perfect 12-0 record into the Trojans’ TranSouth Conference tournament opener on Monday.

That not only made him the winningest pitcher in the NAIA during the regular season, it also extended to two seasons his mark of near-perfection. A year earlier he was a junior college All-America honoree when he went 12-1 for John A. Logan (Ill.) College.

That penchant for victory was central to the fact that he was named TranSouth Player of the Year on Monday. In so doing, he became the first pitcher in the 13-year history of the league to earn that award and the fifth Trevecca player overall to do so.

“It was surprising, especially knowing some of the hitters and the position players we have in this conference,” he said. “I’ve been fortunate enough the last two years that my teammates have had a lot of energy every time I’ve gone out there and they’ve played with a lot of energy behind me.”

Dunn, who signed with the program last July, wasted no time serving notice of what was to come. In his first start for Trevecca, back on Feb. 7, he struck out seven in five shutout innings against Embry-Riddle (Ala.), ranked No. 3 in NAIA at the time, as the Trojans notched their first victory of the season.

“I think the biggest part of the season was the start,” he said. “The way I did from my standpoint and the way the team did from a team standpoint against a team as good as Embry-Riddle just gave us a lot of confidence.”

With the ability to target a 90 mph fastball complemented by a hard breaking ball and a recently added changeup, he finished the regular season ranked first or second in the conference in wins, runs allowed per game, ERA (1.31), opponents’ batting average (.191) and hits allowed per nine innings (5.91). He also was among the NAIA’s top 10 in six major statistical categories.

All told, he had six complete games, including one shutout, in 13 starts, allowed 58 hits and struck out 76 in 88.1 innings. He was named the conference Pitcher of the Week twice, most recently when he limited Martin Methodist to two hits in eight innings on April 17.

“He is the most outstanding pitcher we’ve ever had at Trevecca,” coach Jonathan Burton said. “Every single time he takes the ball he gives his team a chance to win, and he competes like it’s his last game. You hope to have two or three like him, but there’s no doubt he was the most outstanding player in this conference this season.”

Even with him on the mound Monday, Trevecca, which finished second in the conference, dropped its tournament opener 3-1 to Union (33-17), host of the event. The Trojans (33-22) loaded the bases with one out in the ninth but failed to score. That sent them into the elimination round, where they will face Martin Methodist (20-23), noon Tuesday.

Dunn took a no-hitter into the seventh but then hit a batter, gave up two singles and a walk and allowed a run before he was replaced with the bases loaded and one out. Wesley Griggs replaced him and struck out the next two batters to end the threat and guarantee a no-decision for Dunn.

Griggs gave up two in the eighth and took the loss.

“It was probably one of the better outings I’ve seen (Dunn) have,” Burton said. “… The hitters were really confused most of the night.”

They did make him work, though. Dunn threw a total of 108 pitches, 72 of them strikes, and struck out five.

“I gave it all I had for the first six innings,” he said. “Then I hit a little bit of a wall, and I didn’t have the location I needed on my pitches.”

Still, he gave his team a chance to win … just as he did every other time he pitched.

--Woody Hayes

Lowery said the Reds like him as a first baseman, but that he could be used elsewhere.

"They think that's what they want to use me as, a first baseman," said Lowery. "They did say that if that doesn't work out, they might push me back to the mound

another two-way player that Reds picked (twice) out of Young Harris?

Nick Markakis, whom the Reds seemed to think was more finesse pitcher than power hitter.

6th Rd pick - Mark Serrano

Looking thru some info regarding Serrano, I realized that he pitched against ASU and Mike Leake in the regionals in Tempe and definately held his own...and Leake pitched kinda good as well...

Arizona State IP H R ER BB SO AB BF
    -----------------------------------------------
    Leake, Mike......... 9.0 5 1 1 2 15 31 33

Oral Roberts IP H R ER BB SO AB BF
    -----------------------------------------------
    Mark Serrano........ 8.1 8 4 3 5 13 32 38
    T.J. Kelly.......... 0.2 0 0 0 0 0 2 2

TULSA, Okla. – Oral Roberts University senior right-handed pitcher Mark Serrano added another honor on Thursday by being selected to the ABCA All-Midwest Region second-team.

Serrano, who was selected in the sixth round of the MLB Draft by Cincinnati on Wednesday, earned all-region honors after posting a 9-1 overall record with a 2.50 ERA. Serrano struck out 132 batters while only walking 25 in 86 1/3 innings pitched. The Downey, Calif., native threw three complete games and held opponents to a .196 batting average. Serrano’s 13.77 strikeouts per nine innings rank second nationally, while his 132 total punch outs tie for fifth in the NCAA and rank second in ORU history for a single season.

In addition to receiving all-region honors, Serrano has earned second-team All-America accolades by Collegiate Baseball and Ping!Baseball, as well as being tabbed the Summit League Player and Pitcher of the Year.

10th rd - Tucker Barnhart

Brownsburg's Tucker Barnhart Sets the Standard
    By duncan @ 5:46 PM :: 1823 Views
    By Mike Moreci

Go to any game in Brownsburg’s conference and you will likely to see junior catcher Tucker Barnhart in the stands. He’s the one watching every hitter with intense concentration, breaking his focus only to jot down the occasional note.

“I study our biggest conference teams whenever we don’t have a game,” Barnhart said. “I go to games and I chart stuff, I watch hitters, take notes. I like to know how hitters react in counts.”

Talking to Barnhart you get the impression that you’re speaking more to an assistant coach than a player. But don’t be mistaken: Barnhart’s a player. Quite possibly the best catcher in the state. Yet he’s also what many would call a student of the game, even though that phrase doesn’t quite do justice for the 5-foot-10, 182-pound Barnhart.

He’s a baseball junkie, carrying on a strong familial tradition. Both his grandfather and father played baseball, as well as his uncles. Some of Barnhart’s fondest childhood memories, in fact, were of watching ball games on his grandmother’s television while keeping score.

Brownsburg coach Pat O’Neil has had his eye on Barnhart since he was in seventh grade. What really stood out to O’Neil, even at that age, wasn’t so much Barnhart’s talent. It was his pure love for the game, which has only grown since.

“He’s a baseball rat,” O’Neil said. “Whatever we do, he’s the first one there and the last one to leave.”

Barnhart’s passion has certainly paid off. According to O’Neil, he’s been getting attention from high schools and scouts since he was 11 years old, back when he was considered one of the best shortstops in the country. Since then, he’s only gotten better. In 2007, the switch-hitting Barnhart batted .417 with 10 homers, 9 doubles and 39 RBI. He had a .986 fielding percentage and forced runners to think twice about attempting to steal against his consistent sub-1.9 pop time. In recognition for his stellar play, Louisville Slugger honored him with a spot on their 2008 pre-season All-American roster.

“With everything that’s been going on, it can be overwhelming,” Barnhart said. “The nomination threw more weight on the season, though I try to put that stuff on the backburner. It’s great to have that title, but I have to worry about the season.”

This spring will mark Barnhart’s third season on Brownsburg’s varsity roster. Barnhart has always played up in age; it’s an experience he’s now using to help Brownsburg’s underclassmen adjust to life in varsity ball.

“We have some underclassmen who are going to play big role for us,” Barnhart said. “I took them aside and told them to relax and play the game; they’re here because they can play.”

Meanwhile, Barnhart has his own game that he’s always working on, striving for perfection. He wants to be an All-State catcher, he wants to hit .450, even .500. And, most of all, he wants to lead his team. Last season, Brownsburg was ranked No. 4 in the state but was upset in sectional play. With a host of talent returning—including LHP-CF Alex Berlin and Indiana State-bound RHP Mark Conover—Barnhart may be within arms reach of another goal: state champion.

Hmmm. Anyone know what Serrano throws? Those stats look mighty nice against a very tough ASU team.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

I have heard from pretty reliable sources that Barnhart is going to college. I was told if he was picked past the 6th round he was going to school.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

What does it matter where you're drafted, as long as you get paid? If Barnhart gets paid second round money, why wouldn't he sign?

Serious question there. I've certainly never been drafted by anyone, so I couldn't possibly understand. Is it a pride thing, perhaps?

does anyone know if leake is pitching in the ASU game sunday 6/14?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    What does it matter where you're drafted, as long as you get paid? If Barnhart gets paid second round money, why wouldn't he sign?

Serious question there. I've certainly never been drafted by anyone, so I couldn't possibly understand. Is it a pride thing, perhaps?
    He doesn't think he will get second round money.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Reds sign another Taylorsville Hamilton

By Michael Boykin, To the Leader-Call

Taylorsville baseball standout Darion Hamilton was drafted Thursday in the 49th round of the Major League Baseball Draft by the Cincinnati Reds. The centerfielder joins cousin Billy Hamilton, also drafted by the Reds on Tuesday night.

Hamilton was a three-sport standout at Taylorsville, widely known for his athleticism. While in the shadows of his cousin, Hamilton quietly posted huge numbers while participating in baseball, football and basketball.

At times this spring, scouts were prone to confuse the two. Word quickly spread around the Major League Baseball scouting departments that the Tartars had another Hamilton to scout. Most cite his power potential and defensive capabilities in centerfield as his strongest attributes.

Batting .492 with 6 homeruns, 37 runs batted in and 22 stolen bases, Hamilton helped lead the Tartars to an appearance in the 2A South State Championship series this season. For his efforts, he was tabbed as All-State by the Jackson Clarion-Ledger on Sunday.

While Hamilton has signed to play both baseball and football at Jones County Junior College, he may forego the college experience to sign with the Reds. If both of the Hamilton cousins sign, the team will likely keep the duo together for their first Minor League Baseball experience in either Sarasota, Fla. or Billings, Mont.

http://www.leadercall.com/sports/loc...secondarystory

That title is misleading. Hamilton hasn't signed yet.

Westmont Pitcher Drafted by Reds
    updated: Jun 10, 2009, 8:58 PM

source: Westmont College

Westmont right-handed hurler Tim Crabbe was selected by the Cincinnati Reds in the fourteenth round of the 2009 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft.

"It's exciting," said Crabbe about the selection. "There are still a lot of questions. I have more years of (college) eligibility so I need to negotiate with the Reds tomorrow and over the weekend. I've got to look at every situation. I'll talk it over with my parents and make a decision."

After sitting out most of the 2008 season due to an injury, Crabbe struggled at the beginning of 2009 to get his form back. But as the season progressed, so did Crabbe's performance on the mound. In the final start of his junior year, Crabbe turned in a complete game 4-2 victory against Azusa Pacific. The resident of Tucson, Arizona retired 19 consecutive batters while allowing one earned run on three hits.

With a fast ball consistently in the low to mid 90s, Crabbe attracted attention not only from the Reds, but also the Angels, Cardinals and Phillies. But it was the Reds that pulled the trigger with the 419th overall selection.

"I talked with the Reds this morning while the draft was going on," said Crabbe. "One of the things they want to know is if you want to sign. If there is no way you are going to sign they won't draft you because they don't want to waste a pick. I was on the phone with the Reds and some other teams. Once the Reds decided to take me, I got a call from Rex De La Nuez, the area scout that had seen me throw. After the selection, he congratulated me and let me know how everything was going to workout."

On Sunday, Crabbe pitched his first game as a member of the Santa Barbara Foresters, reigning champions of the National Baseball Congress. Crabbe allowed just five hits in the seven inning affair and produced a complete game shutout over the San Diego Waves. While Crabbe fanned eight batters and allowed just one walk, the Foresters put up six runs to claim the victory.

"Going into the seventh inning, I had thrown a decent amount of pitches but I told them I felt good and could finish the game for them," said Crabbe.

While the Reds would like to sign Crabbe in the next few days, Crabbe wants to give the decision proper consideration. "I don't want to rush it. Technically I have until August 15th which is the last day you can sign. I want to make sure all the bases are covered."

http://www.edhat.com/site/tidbit.cfm?id=1400&nid=20352

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Westmont Pitcher Drafted by Reds
    updated: Jun 10, 2009, 8:58 PM

source: Westmont College

Westmont right-handed hurler Tim Crabbe was selected by the Cincinnati Reds in the fourteenth round of the 2009 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft.

"It's exciting," said Crabbe about the selection. "There are still a lot of questions. I have more years of (college) eligibility so I need to negotiate with the Reds tomorrow and over the weekend. I've got to look at every situation. I'll talk it over with my parents and make a decision."

After sitting out most of the 2008 season due to an injury, Crabbe struggled at the beginning of 2009 to get his form back. But as the season progressed, so did Crabbe's performance on the mound. In the final start of his junior year, Crabbe turned in a complete game 4-2 victory against Azusa Pacific. The resident of Tucson, Arizona retired 19 consecutive batters while allowing one earned run on three hits.

With a fast ball consistently in the low to mid 90s, Crabbe attracted attention not only from the Reds, but also the Angels, Cardinals and Phillies. But it was the Reds that pulled the trigger with the 419th overall selection.

"I talked with the Reds this morning while the draft was going on," said Crabbe. "One of the things they want to know is if you want to sign. If there is no way you are going to sign they won't draft you because they don't want to waste a pick. I was on the phone with the Reds and some other teams. Once the Reds decided to take me, I got a call from Rex De La Nuez, the area scout that had seen me throw. After the selection, he congratulated me and let me know how everything was going to workout."

On Sunday, Crabbe pitched his first game as a member of the Santa Barbara Foresters, reigning champions of the National Baseball Congress. Crabbe allowed just five hits in the seven inning affair and produced a complete game shutout over the San Diego Waves. While Crabbe fanned eight batters and allowed just one walk, the Foresters put up six runs to claim the victory.

"Going into the seventh inning, I had thrown a decent amount of pitches but I told them I felt good and could finish the game for them," said Crabbe.

While the Reds would like to sign Crabbe in the next few days, Crabbe wants to give the decision proper consideration. "I don't want to rush it. Technically I have until August 15th which is the last day you can sign. I want to make sure all the bases are covered."

http://www.edhat.com/site/tidbit.cfm?id=1400&nid=20352
    I know it seems logical that that would go without saying...but it's great to hear nonetheless.

6th Round #179 Overall Mark Serrano RHP Oral Roberts University

Viva El Birdos.com

Texas Leaguers.com via Viva El Birdos.com
    Mark Serrano, RHP, Oral Roberts University- A darling of results-oriented analysis, Serrano has put up some of the most impressive numbers this side of Strassburg. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the same kind of stuff, and so isn't in for the same kind of payday.

Serrano has a fastball that sits mostly in the upper 80s, though he has hit as high as 93 at times, and he commands the pitch remarkably well. He has a nice curveball, and shows the makings of an average changeup. If he sounds generic, it's because he sort of is. Lost of pitchers with similar repertoires; Serrano faces weak competition and does much more with his stuff than most. Not a sexy pick, by any means, but could be a good have in the later rounds.
    Mark Serrano
    # 8
    Right Handed Pitcher - RHP

Height: 6-1 Weight: 195

Senior

Bats: R Throws: R

Previous Affiliations
    Cypress College
    Previous Experience
    JC
    Hometown
    Downey, Calif.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Courtesy: ORU Media Relations
    Release: 06/04/2009
    Career Honors
    2009 Second-Team All-American (Collegiate Baseball)
    2009 Second-Team All-American (Ping!Baseball)
    2009 ABCA All-Midwest Region Second-Team
    2009 Summit League Player of the Year
    2009 Summit League Pitcher of the Year
    2009 First-Team All-Summit League

2009 (Senior)
    Earned Second-Team All-America honors by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper, as well as Summit League Player and Pitcher of the Year... posted a 2.50 ERA and a team-leading 9-1 record in 20 appearances and nine starts... ranked second in ORU single-season history with 132 strikeouts in only 86 1/3 innings pitched... only issued 25 walks while limiting opponents to a .196 batting average... ranked second nationally with 13.77 strikeouts per nine innings... tied for fifth in the NCAA in total strikeouts, while placing 19th in ERA... threw three complete games and posted two shutouts... named the Summit League Pitcher of the Week on three different occasions... earned Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week honors by Collegiate Baseball after tossing a complete-game two-hit shutout with a career-high 16 strikeouts at North Dakota State on April 25... also faced No. 7 Arkansas earlier in the week, fanning seven batters in three scoreless innings of relief... suffered first loss in a gutsy performance at NCAA Regional against No. 5 Arizona State on May 30... allowed three earned runs in 8 1/3 innings while fanning 13 Sundevils... struck out 13 batters in six innings in first start against Wichita State on March 24... followed performance up by only allowing two hits and no runs in five innings pitched at No. 9 Texas... picked up first four wins of the season in relief, including the victory at No. 7 Rice on March 8.

2008 (Junior)
    Led the team with a 3.09 ERA in 21 appearances... started seven games, earning a 4-1 record... logged 67 innings, striking out 52 batters while only walking 23... held batters to a .231 average, which also led the squad... threw a complete-game shutout against Oakland on May 11... allowed only three hits while fanning a season-high nine batters against the Golden Grizzlies... earned second consecutive win at IPFW on May 17 by hurling eight innings without surrendering an earned run... picked up second save of the season against Centenary after striking out five and only allowing one hit in 3.2 innings.

Before ORU
    Spent two years at Cypress College ... Played for head coach Scott Pickler in the Orange Empire Conference ... Appeared in five games in 2007 for the Chargers posting a 1-1 record in 9.1 innings of work ... Picked up his win against Merced College by not allowing an earned run and striking out three in 3.1 innings ... Posted a 2-1 record as a freshman in 2006 ... Finished with a 4.50 ERA while striking 20 and only allowing six walks in 24.0 innings.

High School
    Prepped under head coach Jesse Gonzalez at Downey High School in Downey, Calif. ... Named team MVP, Dream Team first-team, and first-team All-League ... Also earned Offensive MVP for football and selected first-team All-League in football ... Was named to the Deans List.

Personal
    Full name is Mark Arthur Serrano ... Son of Mark and Carole Serrano ... English Major ... Born on September 14, 1985 in Los Angeles, Calif. ... Chose ORU over Pepperdine, Long Beach State and Fresno State.

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?