Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Willy Taveras or Chris Dickerson in CF?

Re: Willy Taveras or Chris Dickerson in CF?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Sad thing is, that this is just common sense type stuff that many of us have been saying for months, even when they were just flirting with the idea of signing Willy.

You know, common sense type stuff like Gomes over McDonald. Wow. Rocket science.
    Months??? We've had these arguments over a variety of different players for years now.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Months??? We've had these arguments over a variety of different players for years now.
    Yeah? And we've been discussing/arguing/whatever about Willy Taveras for months.

Yeah? And we've been discussing/arguing/whatever about Willy Taveras for months.
    This year's Willy is last year's Corey which was the year before's Juan....

Troubling thing is they've all been no brainers.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    This year's Willy is last year's Corey which was the year before's Juan....

Troubling thing is they've all been no brainers.
    Amen.

Dickerson is far better (and younger and cheaper), with a much higher ceiling than Taveras in everything (but stealing bases).

Heisey and Stubbs, down on the farm, are BOTH arguably better than Taveras.

Stubbs and Dickerson should platoon NOW. Stubbs is ready and Heisey needs challenged in Louisville.

There simply is no reason that Willy Taveras should occupy a roster spot with this team.

Sad thing is, that this is just common sense type stuff that many of us have been saying for months, even when they were just flirting with the idea of signing Willy.

You know, common sense type stuff like Gomes over McDonald. Wow. Rocket science.
    This is what is so uber-frustrating to me. Moves that seem so simple that this front office repeatedly screws up. There is no way that Taveras should have ever been signed. There is no way that Darnell McDonald should have ever made the major league roster. And definitley no way he should stay on the roster for 40 games. And despite all of this, somehow the Reds are 1.5 games back!

Willy's legs are his game. His entire game. If he can't leg out the occasional infield single and steal a bag or two a series, he is not helping this team.

My prediction: Dusty gives him this weekend or so to show he can do those things. If he can't, he goes on the DL (sore hammy) to make room for Votto's triumphant return.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Taveras clearly is experiencing leg or hammy related problems. Just looked and he doesn't have a steal since May 22nd, in his last 10 games played. He also missed a number of games in that time span, and has one caught stealing.

Without speed and stolen bases, Willy T. has no area of superiority over Dickerson at all.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Taveras clearly is experiencing leg or hammy related problems. Just looked and he doesn't have a steal since May 22nd, in his last 10 games played. He also missed a number of games in that time span, and has one caught stealing.

Without speed and stolen bases, Willy T. has no area of superiority over Dickerson at all.
    Hard to steal when you can't even get on base, but your point is taken. (He's been on base all of 6 times in his past 10 games played - ugh.)
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

At this point, I really can't see what Taveras brings to this club.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post

Why do you hate Speed and Defense?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    Lots of easy outs
    Go Gators!

Right now Willy would have tough time winning a poll asking "Willy or Roseanne Barr in CF?" and that's with the caveat that Roseanne would also be singing the national anthem.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Right now Willy would have tough time winning a poll asking "Willy or Roseanne Barr in CF?" and that's with the caveat that Roseanne would also be singing the national anthem.

I think Roseanne would take better routes to the ball.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think Roseanne would take better routes to the ball.
    Only if we told her it had cream filling

I have a conspiracy theory about the Taveras signing.

Just a hunch, but I think that Dusty went to Walt and said I want Taveras. He's a leadoff hitter in CF. A speedy guy who plays solid defense. My dream guy.

Walt said okay, knowing that the Reds probably were not going to contend, and this way he can say to Dusty at the end of the year, we tried it your way, it didn't work, now let's try it the right way.
    He knew that either Dickerson or Stubbs would be ready by the end of this year or next year, so Taveras would just be a $6M stopgap until then. And a fifth outfielder for $6M for two years is not that outrageous, and something the Reds could afford.
    And maybe, just maybe, Taveras has a year more like 2007 than 2008.

And now that Taveras is more like 08 than 07, and the Reds are contending, I think that Walt will give Dusty to the All-Star break with Taveras. If he doesn't turn it around, at the very least, Dickerson will platoon with him in CF.

Just a hunch. Maybe wishful thinking?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Turn Off Ads?