Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rank the Announcers

Rank the Announcers

The Welsh thread got me thinking. Name your favorite guys on the TV/Radio side.

TV

PBP:
    Thom Brenneman
    George Grande

Color:
    Brantley (yes I actually like him here)
    Welsh(much more than Grande, though)

Radio

PBP:
    Marty obviously

Color: (heres where it gets fun)

Kelch
    Brantley
    Mercker
    Welsh

Overall
    Jim Kelch
    Marty Brenneman
    Jeff Brantley
    Chris Welsh
    Kent Mercker
    Thom Brenneman

George Grande
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rank the Announcers

The best booth the Reds have is Thom and Brantley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Being one who studied broadcasting (radio broadcasting) in college, I would rank the announcers as follows"

Radio PBP - Marty
    Radio Color - Brantley and Welsh when he infrequently appears
    TV PBP - Thom
    TV Color - Brantley

The wortst i s easy:

Radio PBP - Brantley
    Radio Color - Thom (if he calls out to "Dad" one more time I'm gonna hurl.
    TVPB - Grande - Nice guy but just annoying. Isn't he old enough to retire?
    TV Color - Welsh - Constant babbling on about unrelated material annoys me.

I like Kelch, and I llike the team of Brenneman and Kelch, but radio is all about entertainment and they don't do that. For us baseball purists, Brantley is not da bomb, but it works in what they are trying to do. On TV, the best team is Thom and Brantley and the worst is George and Chris.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I've said this before, but Kelch, IMO, somehow reigns Marty's worst tendencies in. With Kelch in the booth, Marty is hardly ever cantankerous (I don't think I've ever actually had to spell that word before). It's a better Marty when Kelch is up.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Really? This is the "high quality" of Reds discussion that ORG provides?

Sorry to be cranky, but this topic has been done 1,000 times in 1,000 different ways. If it had Dunn's name in it, it would have been closed already.

I like Marty (I've only been listenning to him for 20+ years) although I think it's probably apparent to long time listeners like myself that he's become a little more ornery as he's aged. I still respect and appreciate what he brings to the table (including the personality which I feel adds to radio broadcasts) and don't care (umm well not THAT much anyway) about that stuff that I disagree with (like pointing to win-loss records to assess how a pitcher is doing). I actually dread the day he's no longer in the booth as I did with Joe. I also think that Brantley is lucky to have a vet to lean on that's still on top of things.

I've warmed up to Brantley and appreciate his perspective as a former pitcher that has had success in the majors. I also enjoy his personality as well and would love to see how much Montgomery Inn ribs he could eat just once.

Thom... well ummm maybe it's just me but I think he (and the rest) are an example of why they don't need to move the broadcasters around quite so much. Some of them aren't on the radio broadcasts much so someone like me doesn't have much of a chance to get to know them and their style. While Thom just seems like a better fit for tv. But ... Thom + Joe Buck would = one unlistenable broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post

Sorry to be cranky, but this topic has been done 1,000 times in 1,000 different ways. If it had Dunn's name in it, it would have been closed already.
    Who whizzed in your Wheaties? Some topics will be done again and again... If you don't care for the discussion just pass it by.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 06-11-2009 at 09:45 AM.

Time is the Revelator.

I rank George Grande negative 100.

I think Welsh is very good when he is with Thom. I think it's time that George moves on, but I doubt it happens. I would love for the Reds to drag Darren Sutton out of Arizona.

I don't listen to the radio at all so I'll just say that my favorite team is Thom and Welsh.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I don't like two play by play guys in the booth at the same time.

I listened to almost all the Sunday broadcast that Thom did by himself. Very professional, classy performance and increased my appreciation for him. I wish he sounded like that all the time.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post

Okay, I'm relatively new to the ORG, so I hope I don't step on any toes here, but I've seen this type of post numerous times already. "We've discussed this to death", "This was already talked about years ago", etc. While it may be true that these or similar topics were discussed in the past, there are plenty of new ORG members that may find those topics worth commenting on. Short of searching the archives prior to every post, I think it should be expected that some topics are rehashed.

If you sound the topic unsuitable, don't read it. I find these types of snarky comments damaging to the ORG, or at least to new ORG members, because it can make us gun-shy about bringing up any new topic.

I can certainly understand some guidelines (discussions about players that are no longer on the team, talking about issues that should be covered in designated threads like the Game Thread, etc.) and I understand not having multiple threads about the same subject, but I don't think all topics covered in the past should be ignored in the future. We have new ORG members that may have a different perspective, or maybe things have changed since the topic was last discussed.

In this topic for instance, the discussion is about the announcers. As some have pointed out, the announcer's quality can improve or change over different seasons. So perhaps the discussion now would be different than in the past.

Maybe I'm overreacting (probably) but I know that I have been hesitant to start some threads for fear of breaking some unwritten ORG rule and offending some of the delicate sensitivities that seem to permeate this forum. Many/most ORG members have been great and welcoming, but a percentage strikes me as an old dog snapped at the new puppy for stepping near their favorite toy.

Sorry for the rant....just had to vent. And I also dislike Grande as an announcer. :

I agree Eric. Too much of "this has been talked about a million times" stuff going around. It's a message board. That's how it works. It would be talked about so much if no one cared.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    The best booth the Reds have is Thom and Brantley.
    For what hyperbole and knowing it all?

Okay let's end this here. The topic is fine. It is staying up unless the discussion about its appropriateness doesn't end. There are many new ORG members and they haven't read about this, plus it is not specifically a topic about just Marty, or how Grande is nice but irritating. For those who have seen a thread similar simply pass it by OR read some comments by our new members who haven't weighed in on it before. They were voted in because we thought they were voices worth hearing - so let them have a chance to be heard!

Jake

Turn Off Ads?