Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Jake Fox Enigma

The Jake Fox Enigma

What do people make of this Jake Fox situation?

Here you have a borderline non-prospect because of age (approaching 27) that is absolutely brutalizing Pacific Coast League pitching to the point where even in a hitter-friendly league, he's looking like Mike Schmidt. Of course, it's further complicated by his absolutely atrocious defense.

Here you have a guy, that probably the only place he won't terrorize your DER is by keeping him at first. However, he's still blocked by the aging (and bat-speed-deteriorating) Derrek Lee as well as another non-prospect that kept hitting in AAA: Micah Hoffpauir.

But more to the point.

His line:

17 HR
    50 RBI
    .513 OBP / .968 SLG / 1.481 OPS
    His K% is fair (18.1%)

And according to a little Fan Graph blurb on him today, his wOBA is a ridiculous .600. That's 130 points higher than the 2nd place guy, which they say is the same margin between No. 2 and No. 70 in the PCL.

Other than his defense, I'm not seeing much to criticize.

This season, even as a righty, he's hitting right-handed pitching better than left-handers. In 2008 the difference was negligible. For that matter, with stops at AA and AAA last season, he combined on a .921 OPS (31 HR 105 RBI in 134 games).

The guy hit 4 homers in spring training to boot. I would think, at this point, the Cubs have got to bring him up and get him some time in the order. At what point does a guy have to prove himself to swing the bat?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Jake Fox Enigma

He could be Roberto Petaginie or he could be Nelson Cruz
    Go BLUE!!!

High five!

Interesting post. Here's the link to the full article on fangraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Interesting post. Here's the link to the full article on fangraphs.
    And just for the curiosity in it, I ran his Minor League Equivalencies (MLE's) to see what his park-adjusted, major league-adjusted stats might be based on his current line. Here's what the MLE projects his current numbers if he were playing in Chicago to this point:

.352 BA
    28 R
    10 2B
    1 3B
    13 HR
    37 RBI
    .410 OBP / .742 SLG / 1.125 OPS
    12 BB / 28 SO

(I used the MLE batting calculator at MinorLeagueSplits.com)

Obviously these aren't perfect. They can't, as the Fan Graphs article suggested, tell us if a guy can hit a major league curveball. They can't dictate whether said player can catch up to a 97 MPH heater. But since they do have some statistical precedence in a bit of accuracy, that's a pretty amazing line even if it were only partially accurate.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

As a follow-up, the Cubs answered my question of "what else does this guy have to do?"

Today, the brought Fox up with the intention of playing him a little bit here and a little bit there. It will be interesting to see how he fares. If he continues to hit at the torrid pace of AAA, they might have to find a way to get his bat in the lineup (especially they way they've struggled in spurts this year to score runs).

Dude Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    As a follow-up, the Cubs answered my question of "what else does this guy have to do?"

Today, the brought Fox up with the intention of playing him a little bit here and a little bit there. It will be interesting to see how he fares. If he continues to hit at the torrid pace of AAA, they might have to find a way to get his bat in the lineup (especially they way they've struggled in spurts this year to score runs).
    He had a pinch-hit rbi-producing double today for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Rock View Post
    He had a pinch-hit rbi-producing double today for them.
    Yep. He's 3-for-4 now through three games. He's 3-3 in pinch hits.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Jake roomed with a college teammate of mine in the summer league they played in during college. I am happy to see him get the call up because next weekend when they come to Cincinnati I think we're going to meet up with him and get dinner or something. He's a real good guy my buddy says. He went to U of Michigan though. I won't hold that against him.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Jake Fox was sent down yesterday even though he was hitting .417.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/s...e=MLBHeadlines
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Jake Fox was sent down yesterday even though he was hitting .417.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/s...e=MLBHeadlines
    Bust

Sounds a lot like a guy we've got down in Omaha...

His problem obviously is finding a position on the field that he can man reasonably. Someone in the AL should be calling.

Bum

Turn Off Ads?