Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Reds draft signings

Re: 2009 Reds draft signings

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Looks like Boras blinked. seems that most of his clients signed at the deadline and nobody really broke the bank. Boras had to take it to the deadline just because he is who he is. I can see why owners and GMs hate him so
    I understand the standard belief is the Boras is scum, but the system begs for this to happen. MLB put in a place an informal structure in an attempt to limit the increase in bonuses. The only leverage draftees have is to take it to the final hours. The system just begs for this to happen every year. I belief the slot system has only been in the last couple of years (maybe three) and each year some big fish or another doesn't sign.

So it's really not only Boras, it's the system as it presently consists. As for never drafting a Boras client, I think it's more the matter of having trouble when you draft a high pick. I know we've got at least one Boras client on the roster, but I don't recall who it is (one we drafted, I believe - I'll check later and report it). But this would be a reason NOT to tank this season. Odds are the top player available is going to want Scott Boras negotiating for him.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

The failure of the team to bring in anybody else at the deadline is disappointing, especially since the drafting of both Perez and Marrero, back to back, seemed to indicate they would make a run at at least one of them.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    The failure of the team to bring in anybody else at the deadline is disappointing, especially since the drafting of both Perez and Marrero, back to back, seemed to indicate they would make a run at at least one of them.
    I believe they were both drafted in case Valor was not signed. I'm sure if they wanted to sign at or slightly above slot the Reds would have happily brought them on, but they were only going to give them the money they were demanding if they could not sign Valor.

All speculation on my end.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Looks like Boras blinked. seems that most of his clients signed at the deadline and nobody really broke the bank. Boras had to take it to the deadline just because he is who he is. I can see why owners and GMs hate him so

Strausberg signed for 50% more than any player had ever got. His other first round talents got above slot.

The Owners hate him becuase he gets more money for his clients.

He takes them to the deadline to get more money. And he succeeds.

I don't call that blinking.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Strausberg signed for 50% more than any player had ever got. His other first round talents got above slot.

I head that Boras sets a ridiculous figure, the $50M for Strasburg, and then waits until the deadline for the teams to come down. It looks as if most teams take it down to the deadline so the only think that is lost is 1/2 a season. For a college pitcher that isn't a bad thing, but for a position player or a high school pitcher it could mean a great deal.

What I find absurd is that if the Nats had offered $15M back in July Strasburg wouldn't have signed. It hurts the team to some extent not having Strasburg in the system until the season is basically over.

I had hoped the Reds would sign one or both of Perez or Marrero but it looks like they had no intention of signing with the Reds. Sometimes we as fans put lofty expectations on organizations and get upset when those aren't met. The truth of the matter is that both players were strong College commits who did not want to sign this year.

I had hoped the Reds would sign one or both of Perez or Marrero but it looks like they had no intention of signing with the Reds. Sometimes we as fans put lofty expectations on organizations and get upset when those aren't met. The truth of the matter is that both players were strong College commits who did not want to sign this year.
    Yeah, it's possible the Reds made a good effort here. Still, with the recent trades of Hairston, Weathers and Gonzo, there were some savings that the team could have thrown at draft picks. Maybe they threw it at Leake/Boxberger, who knows...

My sense is that the team has pulled the purse strings tight ever since the market collapsed, and the lousy big league club has made matters worse financially. Castellini's silence on the matter has been telling, I think.

Yeah, it's possible the Reds made a good effort here. Still, with the recent trades of Hairston, Weathers and Gonzo, there were some savings that the team could have thrown at draft picks. Maybe they threw it at Leake/Boxberger, who knows...

My sense is that the team has pulled the purse strings tight ever since the market collapsed, and the lousy big league club has made matters worse financially. Castellini's silence on the matter has been telling, I think.
    Bingo.

The Reds weren't going to sign those guys (Marrerro and Perez). It looked bleak from the beginning, but the Valor signing sealed their fate.

As for using the savings from Hairston, Weathers, and Gonzo for Leake and Boxberger, I believe the Reds signed their first two picks to two of the smallest contracts considering where they were drafted. If they really needed the extra $3MM to sign those guys, then what exactly did they budget for the draft?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

I think this deal could have been done a month ago. I also think you and I could have negotiated $15mill for this player, only of which $7mill is a signing bonus. It's the player's overwhelming talent that gone this kind of money

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    As for using the savings from Hairston, Weathers, and Gonzo for Leake and Boxberger, I believe the Reds signed their first two picks to two of the smallest contracts considering where they were drafted. If they really needed the extra $3MM to sign those guys, then what exactly did they budget for the draft?
    I'd imagine the cash saved probably goes toward paying for Rolen since the budget had to be expanded to obtain him.

I think this deal could have been done a month ago.
    I don't. I think that Boras played it correctly. with every ESPN story, a lot more pressure on the Nats to sign. the economy has helped, too. more owners seem to be thinking that worst might be over, so even the lower 1st rounders got a nice raise for their holdout.

OTOH, if the economy had gone into another free fall in July, then all of these 1st rounders would have lost a lot of money. so there was risk.
    2015, baby!

So, have they announced if Leake will pitch in the minors at all this year?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

The bonus will be even bigger next season for the Nats when they select his battery mate Bryce Harper. I am thinking he will be looking for the first 20 million dollar payout.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu View Post
    So, have they announced if Leake will pitch in the minors at all this year?
    Yes. From a recent chat sesssion with Bob Miller:

RedsFan1970:
    11:22 am How close are we to signing our first two draft picks? Would we see Leake in action if he is signed soon?

bob_miller:
    11:29 am We feel comfortable that we will get both signed before the 8/17 deadline. Both will pitch in the minors once signed.
    EDIT: But then again:

Buckley said that Leake and Boxberger would be sent to the team's Spring Training complex in Sarasota. The Reds have a Gulf Coast and Class A Florida State League team there.

"Neither one of the guys have pitched in a game in a couple of months," Buckley said. "They have to get tuned up. I'm not sure they'll pitch before the season is over. They both pitched a lot of innings this year."
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    Last edited by GOYA; 08-18-2009 at 01:22 PM.

Doesnt all the guys that havent signed by now go back into the kitty for next year???

Turn Off Ads?