Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Reds draft signings

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 2009 Reds draft signings

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Most of Cincinnati's HS draftees go to the GCL first, then Billings for a year, then Dayton as 20/21-year-olds. Most of baseball does it the same way, FWIW.

Hamilton will play in Billings next season and Duran and Rodriguez will either play there or repeat the GCL, as they're a year younger
    Except most of the high end HS kids, who go to Dayton their first full year. Jay Bruce and Travis Wood were 1st and 2nd rounders who went to Dayton their first full season. Kyle Lotzkar and Devin Mesoraco in 2008 as first rounders.

Its not a big jump to believe that they will wind up in Dayton. If each guy holds their head above water in the GCL it would surprise me if they weren't in Dayton.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stewert said at first he was not going to sign, so

Quote Originally Posted by mac624 View Post
    With Tuttle on board and Leake and Boxberger soon to be, all I want is Barnhart and Fowler and we'll have made a great haul in signing these kids again.
    Agreed, it's pretty impressive they will (hopefully) have signed their first 16 picks. I can't remember the last time they did that. I would gladly substitute Marrero or Perez for several of the guys that signed, but of course you can't win 'em all- those two were the most obvious non-signees the minute they were drafted.
    Go BLUE!!!

Re: Stewert said at first he was not going to sign, so

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agreed, it's pretty impressive they will (hopefully) have signed their first 16 picks. I can't remember the last time they did that. I would gladly substitute Marrero or Perez for several of the guys that signed, but of course you can't win 'em all- those two were the most obvious non-signees the minute they were drafted.
    Last year, the Reds signed their top 14 picks and 26 of their first 27. Only the infamous 15th rd pick Eric Pfisterer didn't sign. That was pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Except most of the high end HS kids, who go to Dayton their first full year. Jay Bruce and Travis Wood were 1st and 2nd rounders who went to Dayton their first full season. Kyle Lotzkar and Devin Mesoraco in 2008 as first rounders.

Its not a big jump to believe that they will wind up in Dayton. If each guy holds their head above water in the GCL it would surprise me if they weren't in Dayton.
    Howington & Grueler (though a different regime, and perhaps a poor example given their health issues) also spent their first full season in Dayton out of HS.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them in Billings next year, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them in Dayton next year either. Alot probalby depends on how they handle the GCL this year, but its not a given they'll start in Billings.

What is better for an 18 year olds overall development, assuming they've got a tool set ready to handle low A pitching... a half a season in instructional league then a half a season in rookie ball, or a full season in low A against not only stronger competition, but w/ the pressure of trying to compete in the standings all season long, and fans in the stand all season long?

I don't know the answer to that question, if there is even one, but a high level prospect playing his age 18/19 season (or 17 in Yorman's case) can't be all that unheard of. Given their draft spot/signing bonuses, one would have to assume them to be high level prospects and at worst worthy of consideration for Low A ball next year. Heck if Yorman and Duran are the high end major league talent like Carlos Beltran, Vlad, etc that they've been comped to and we all hope/pray they turn into one day they'll be in the majors at 21. A season in Low A at 18, a season in High A at 19, a seaosn at AA/AAA at 20, up to the majors sometime when they're 21.

Of course that's ambitious, and perhaps unrealistic when you compare any 17 year old kid to what we know Vlad and Carlos are today, but if they've got that level of talent, Dayton is a real possibility, and they'll show that they belong there despite their youth.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 in hall View Post
    According to Fey the reds have signed No. 19 LHP Mitchell Clarke from Ontario Canada, and No. 22 1b Dave Stewart fom a J.C.
    I was surprised to see Stewart sign. A few weeks ago he made a comment that he would probably not sign. The Reds must have made a decent offer.

It appears as if the Reds will sign all of their top 15 picks. According to the Reds website, they are moving closers to deal with Leake and Boxberger. That leaves only Tucker Barnhart and he's already said he will sign. Pick 16, 17, 18 probably won't sign but ya never know.

From Gammons:
    The commissioner's's office refuses to sign off on the signing of an unnamed fourth round pick (of a "small-market Central Division team") because the player and the team agreed to a contract above the commissioner's recommendation.
    If Gammons has the details off, could this be about Tucker Barnhart. If so I am ticked, because big market teams do whatever they want, and small market teams are stuck in Bud Selig's pit of yuck.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    If Gammons has the details off, could this be about Tucker Barnhart. If so I am ticked, because big market teams do whatever they want, and small market teams are stuck in Bud Selig's pit of yuck.
    Seriously.

Bud's strangely silent with the Yankees and the Sox dole out huge dollars to free agents, but wants to crap all over a small market team for trying to build through the draft?

That's total B.S. if true.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

From Gammons:

Barnhart wasn't a 4th round pick. Just wants 4th round money.

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxRedsFan View Post
    Barnhart wasn't a 4th round pick. Just wants 4th round money.
    Thanks for the correction, because if you re read what I wrote you will see the qualifier "if Gammons has the details off". But again thanks for the correction.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Most of Cincinnati's HS draftees go to the GCL first, then Billings for a year, then Dayton as 20/21-year-olds. Most of baseball does it the same way, FWIW.

Hamilton will play in Billings next season and Duran and Rodriguez will either play there or repeat the GCL, as they're a year younger
    IIRC, Mesoraco went from GCL to Dayton, even after struggling in the GCL.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Re: Daniel Tuttle signed

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    5th rounder Daniel Tuttle is now showing up on the GCL Reds roster.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=572218
    They reported this in today's Enquirer, so perhaps the list could be updated:

FOUR MORE SIGNED: The Reds signed their fifth-, seventh-, 19th- and 22nd-round draft picks:

• No. 5 Dan Tuttle, a right-handed high school pitcher from Randleman, N.C.

• No. 7 Josh Fellhauer, a center fielder from Cal State-Fullerton.

• No. 19 Mitchell Clarke, a left-handed high school pitcher for Ontario, Canada.

• No. 22 David Stewart, a junior-college first baseman.

[edit: I see Fellhauer & Clarke are already bolded]
    Last edited by redsmetz; 07-10-2009 at 09:11 AM.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

From Gammons:

Could be Zack Dodson on Pitt as well.

Senor Votto

Can we get the first post updated?

Here's what the updated list should look like.

1. Mike Leake, RHP ASU
    1A. Brad Boxberger, RHP USC
    2. Billy Hamilton SS-CF Taylorsville HS
    3. Donny Joseph LHP-Reliever U of Houston
    4. Mark Fleury C UNC Chapel Hill
    5. Daniel Tuttle RHP Randleman HS
    6. Mark Serrano RHP Oral Roberts
    7. Josh Fellhauer CF Cal State Fullerton
    8. Juan Silva CF Puerto Rican BB Acad.
    9. Brian Pearl RHP-Reliever U Washington
    10. Tucker Barnhart C Brownsburg HS LOI Ga. Tech
    11. Harold Johnson RHP Trinity Christian Acad.
    12. Josh Garton RF Volunteer State CC
    13. Nick Christiani RHP Vanderbilt
    14. Tim Crabbe RHP Westmont Col.
    15. James Walczak RHP Mercyhurst Col.
    16. Chase Fowler C South Forsythe HS
    17. Devin Marrerro SS Amer. Heritage HS
    18. Stephen Perez SS Gulliver Prep School
    19. Mitchell Clarke LHP Forrest Hts Collegiate Inst. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada (HS)
    20. Matt Valaika 2B USC Santa Barbara
    21. Jonathan Reed RHP Memorial HS Ok
    22. David Stewart 1B Grayson CCC
    23. Chris Richburg 1B Texas Tech
    24. Derrick Lowery 1B Young Harris College

25. Michael Monster RHP Rutland Secondary School British Columbia
    26. Vernon Manz C U of Sou. Fla.
    27. Stefan DePino LHP Dorman HS SC
    28. Derek Poppert SS U of SF Jr.
    29. Jason Braun RHP Corban College Oregon Sr.
    30. Yovan Gonzalez C Wabash Valley Jr College Puerto Rico
    31. Adian Kummet RHP St. Scholastica Div III
    32. Shane Carlson SS UC Santa Barbara
    33. William Stramp 3B Lubbock Christian NAIA
    34. Forest Cannon RHP UC Santa Barbara
    35. Oliver Santos 3B U South Carolina Salkehatchie JC
    36. Chris Burleson SS U of Southern Maine Div III
    37. Dayne Read CF Chipola JC
    38. Thomas Nurre 1B St. Xavier HS/Miami University Jr.
    39. Paul Barton RHP Kwalikum HS
    40. Michael Robertson CF Bellevue CC
    41. Jacob Wiley RHP Marist College Sr.
    42. Blair Carson RHP Anderson University in SC
    43. Richard Bowen RHP Mississippi State U
    44. Javon Shepherd CF Navarro College Jr.
    45. Brian Adams CF South Forsythe HS Georgia
    46. Timothy Dunn RHP Trevecca Nazarene U.
    47. Jason Hampton RHP Rockland HS (CA)
    48. Kenny Swab C Young Harris College Jr.
    49. Darion Hamilton CF Taylorsville HS Mississippi
    50. Chris Page 1B Genesee CC NY Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Seriously.

Bud's strangely silent with the Yankees and the Sox dole out huge dollars to free agents, but wants to crap all over a small market team for trying to build through the draft?

That's total B.S. if true.
    I doubt that anyone dislikes the NE corridor bias as much as I do. I thought the Reds strategy of drafting players previously thought to be unsignable and offering them over slot money was an excellent way to compete as a small market team. The international market strategy was good as well. It seems to me that other teams are adopting the same strategy now, particularly with the emphasis being placed on growing your own talent. I can almost give the commissioner the benefit of a doubt in this case, however, as long as he is consistent in applying it.

Over slot contracts tend to undermine the system over time. Eventually, the large market team will overwhelm the small market teams if contracts stray too far from slot. Small market teams will be pushed into the position of drafting players that either have little bargaining leverage or are perceived to be less talented than their draft position indicates. This year, I think the Pirates did this with Sanchez and the Nationals with Storen. Both players were signed immediately.

Turn Off Ads?