Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Reds draft signings

Re: 2009 Reds draft signings

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    Is Chase Fowler related to Dexter Fowler of the Rockies?
    Probably not. One's white, the other's black. Although they both come from Georgia, so I guess it's a possibility.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

According to two separate guys on my site, Tucker Barnhart was on an Indianapolis radio show this afternoon and said he would be signing with the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    According to two separate guys on my site, Tucker Barnhart was on an Indianapolis radio show this afternoon and said he would be signing with the Reds.
    That would be HUGE! He's 1 of my favorite picks of the whole draft. Having grown up in Indiana, I have a soft spot for players from there. My dad has told me that this kid has it and that there is all sorts of press locally on how great of a player and talent he is.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Man I hope that's true. This could turn out to be an excellent draft if the Reds sign guys like Barnhart and one of Marrero/Perez.

Not sure where this goes, but I noticed that the Reds signed an undrafted player, Chase Ware.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...ase-Ware.shtml

Tucker Barnhart was on WNDE Sports talk today , he did indeed say he was going to sign. Said since the draft he has been keeping close tabs on the Reds ,and is ready to get started on his pro career.

He has talked with the area scout and signed papers today giving a representative permission to work out a deal.

Barnhart expects to sign with Reds
    Posted by Patrick Dorsey

It's not official yet, but Brownsburg standout baseball player Tucker Barnhart -- a Georgia Tech signee who was drafted in the 10th round (299th overall) last week by the Cincinnati Reds -- said Wednesday that he plans to sign a contract and start his pro career as quickly as possible.

"Playing professional baseball has always been my dream," Barnhart said. "I sat down, and I talked to my family and we just felt that it was the best time to do that.

"My take on it is college is always going to be there. The opportunity to get an education is always going to be there, regardless of (whether) I play baseball now professionally, or if I play in three years professionally."

Barnhart expects the signing to take place later this month or in early July, since his deal is above-slot (he was "not exactly sure" of a dollar figure but said it was third- or fourth-round money) and therefore must be approved by the Major League Baseball commissioner's office.

After that, Barnhart likely will head to the Reds' Low-A affiliate in Sarasota, Fla. He said he will remain at catcher, at least for now.

He also said he hasn't envisioned his MLB debut just yet, although he hopes it comes in the uniform of the (semi) local team.

"I'd sure like to make it at home for the Cincinnati Reds," Barnhart said. "That would be awesome."

Former teammate Drew Storen also was drafted, going 10th overall to the Washington Nationals and signing a day later.

http://blogs.indystar.com/preps/arch...rt_expect.html

Moranda also said recruit Derrick Lowery (24th round, Cincinnati) will turn pro. Not counting Lowery, 10 Catamounts have been drafted over the last three years.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/2009906130325

Great news on Barnhart. Very glad the team is out there offering above-slot to get some of these kids signed early, not just at the deadline. I'm hoping they get Perez next.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I'm sure if the commissioner's office would approve the Fairel and Sulbaran signings (above slot), I'm sure they will have no problem with Barnhart.

I'm not sure it really has to be 'approved' by the commissioners office as much as it has to be 'filed' with the commissioner's office. I believe there are a certain procedures that must be followed if a player is signed above slot, but I don't believe that the commissioner's office can do much about it as long as all the procedures are followed...except complain I guess.

The following players have been signed:

Chris Richburg, 23rd round
    Derrick Lowery, 24th round
    Vernon Manz, 26th round
    William Stramp, 33rd round

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    The following players have been signed:

Chris Richburg, 23rd round
    Derrick Lowery, 24th round
    Vernon Manz, 26th round
    William Stramp, 33rd round
    OBM or Doug or whoever, which of these guys has the highest cieling? Any way any of these guys make it to the bigs?

Will the UNC catcher sign shortly now that his season is over? I wonder where they'd assign him, Billings I'd assume

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Will the UNC catcher sign shortly now that his season is over? I wonder where they'd assign him, Billings I'd assume
    I was hoping Fleury and Boxberger (and maybe Fellhauser) would join Serrano in Dayton. Everyone else (except Leake) can go to Rookie ball.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?