Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Reds draft signings

Re: 2009 Reds draft signings

Has there been any word on Leake and how much he wants?
    Most Vottomatic Player

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Has there been any word on Leake and how much he wants?
    I wouldn't think they'd be in too much of a hurry with Leake. Since he went deep into the College World Series and vecause of the tendonitis issue, I'd be surprised if he throws a competitive pitc before Instructional League (if then - probably more like next spring.

I'd think there's a decent chance they shut him down and start him on a rehab/strengthening program doesn't matter if it's tomorrow or mid-August I'd also think they'd want to be sure there's not more too it than just tendonitis. I think they still sign him, but with another pick in the same spot next year, it's not a given.

I liked the Leake signing compared to what was available(and still do), but I kinda get the idea that he might be more of a mid-first pick in richer years. Not saying I don't want him signed - I do. I think he's a low risk prospect and should be a mid-rotation starter sooner rather than later. Just saying that I won't be cursing the front office if they take the pick next year - especially if they made another big splash in the Latin Market.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 06-23-2009 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Wow, this is huge. It's like getting an extra third or fourth round pick instead of a 10th-rounder. And my goodness we need catching depth.

as far as I can tell, it's more like overspending on a 10th rd talent.

but it does make sense. team has so little catching

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    as far as I can tell, it's more like overspending on a 10th rd talent.

but it does make sense. team has so little catching
    Overspending how? If not an elite high school talent...he's very well above average.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Overspending how? If not an elite high school talent.
    sounds like he told teams that he'd sign for 5th or 6th round money. teams like to draft a guy who's asking for slot. since nobody drafted him that high, I suspect that he's doesn't project as a 5/6 round talent. His video supports that suspicion.

so, my guess is that Reds took a flyer on a very young player, hoping that he'd improve a lot more than it looks like he will, even though they would be forced to over-pay him. given the Reds' problem at that position, it's probably worth the gamble.

he looks a bit like Castillo to me. not quite any position.

Where did you see that he told teams he would sign for 5th/6th round money? Barnhart was generally ranked as one of the top 10-15 catchers in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Where did you see that he told teams he would sign for 5th/6th round money? Barnhart was generally ranked as one of the top 10-15 catchers in the draft.
    I thought I read an article that claimed he would only sign if taken in the first 6 rounds. Hence the 5th/6th round money comment.

sounds like he told teams that he'd sign for 5th or 6th round money. teams like to draft a guy who's asking for slot. since nobody drafted him that high, I suspect that he's doesn't project as a 5/6 round talent. His video supports that suspicion.

so, my guess is that Reds took a flyer on a very young player, hoping that he'd improve a lot more than it looks like he will, even though they would be forced to over-pay him. given the Reds' problem at that position, it's probably worth the gamble.

Let's keep some optimism about the guy and compare him to Biggio rather than Castillo

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I thought I read an article that claimed he would only sign if taken in the first 6 rounds. Hence the 5th/6th round money comment.
    Sure, I read that too, but I heard he still wanted 3rd/4th money even if draft there.

versatility is good -- if Barnhart becomes a guy who can catch and play elsewhere, plus switch hit, so long as the stick is decent he'll be a good prospect
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I haven't seen him play myself, but I've talked to some that have and was told that he looked very good for a high school guy.

Brian Pearl is not listed as signed (as of now) but he is listed on the Billings roster. 9th round pick.

Would like to see Fellhauer signed and sent to play center field in Dayton.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Would like to see Fellhauer signed and sent to play center field in Dayton.
    Agreed, although I wonder which one profiles better defensively between Sappelt and Fellhauer. I'm curious- who do you see as having the brightest future between Brown, Sappelt, Fellhauer, Wiley, Means, and Reed?
    Go BLUE!!!

Have not seen Fellhauer. Sappelt will have to play left field due to lack of arm strength. Tough for me to see him going higher than Double-A, but he might surprise. Great range in the outfield. Very poor base runner. Average Midwest League bat. Brown at this point simply is too weak defensively to consider. He turns every fly ball into an adventure. He is strictly a DH right now. Wiley just has not hit enough for a guy that also is limited to strictly LF/DH. Reed is a tremendous athlete who can play center field. Don't write him off. Means is interesting. Give him time to get into baseball shape and then evaluate. He is a physical freak with the size/speed ratio. He needs to get his body into baseball condition and then he might show some things. Right now his swing is too stiff due to lack of flexibility because he has bulked up for football.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Have not seen Fellhauer. Sappelt will have to play left field due to lack of arm strength. Tough for me to see him going higher than Double-A, but he might surprise. Great range in the outfield. Very poor base runner. Average Midwest League bat. Brown at this point simply is too weak defensively to consider. He turns every fly ball into an adventure. He is strictly a DH right now. Wiley just has not hit enough for a guy that also is limited to strictly LF/DH. Reed is a tremendous athlete who can play center field. Don't write him off. Means is interesting. Give him time to get into baseball shape and then evaluate. He is a physical freak with the size/speed ratio. He needs to get his body into baseball condition and then he might show some things. Right now his swing is too stiff due to lack of flexibility because he has bulked up for football.
    Good info, thanks.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?