Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Reds draft signings

Re: 2009 Reds draft signings

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'd be surprised if either one ends up signing.
    I think it's likely they drafted both to sign at least one. I could see them signing neither if they end up successfully throwing some money at Sano in at the International deadline. If not, I see them putting an early-round money push on to sign either Morreno or Perez.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 06-29-2009 at 10:55 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Marrero asked Perez on facebook if he was signing and he said "idk yet dude but i doubt it. are you?"

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Marrero asked Perez on facebook if he was signing and he said "idk yet dude but i doubt it. are you?"
    It sounds like it will be one or the other, but not both. They are gauging the competition. If Marrero didn't want to sign, he would not be asking Perez. Both are mindful that the Reds have already signed 3 SS's with another one still out there. Whoever signs faces competition with Hamilton anyway.

I think the same situation exists with catcher. The Reds have already signed 3. Either Tucker or Fowler is likely to sign, but not both.

Then again, I may have been punk'd by NorrisHopper30.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    It sounds like it will be one or the other, but not both. They are gauging the competition. If Marrero didn't want to sign, he would not be asking Perez. Both are mindful that the Reds have already signed 3 SS's with another one still out there. Whoever signs faces competition with Hamilton anyway.
    Disagree. The two guys played together (against each other) in Miami. They could simply be asking each other out of curiosity. I still doubt either signs, but if they do, I would think they'd be in competition more with Arias/Solanco than Hamilton. By the time they sign, Hamilton could be in Billings if he keeps hitting like this. Next year, he (Hamilton) could start in Dayton.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Disagree. The two guys played together (against each other) in Miami. They could simply be asking each other out of curiosity. I still doubt either signs, but if they do, I would think they'd be in competition more with Arias/Solanco than Hamilton. By the time they sign, Hamilton could be in Billings if he keeps hitting like this. Next year, he (Hamilton) could start in Dayton.
    Yeah, you may be right...pure speculation on my part. I don't know how 18 year olds think. If it were me, I would size up the competition and weigh my chances against a college career and potentially better bonus down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Yeah, you may be right...pure speculation on my part. I don't know how 18 year olds think. If it were me, I would size up the competition and weigh my chances against a college career and potentially better bonus down the line.
    Could be curiosity, could be leverage. If they are communicating with each other that can't be good for Bob's wallet. I'd love to see both of them signed, they are both outstanding talents. That said if I had to choose give me Marrero he isn't gonna move off of SS and he has the higher ceiling. Perez has the more advanced bat and is a gem himself but Marrero just has superstar quality talent.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

My guess is if the Reds end up signing the Venezuelan SS Humberto Valor, that will end talk of either Marrero or Perez signing, especially when you consider Hamilton, Arias, Solanco, and now Valor would all be SS in the 16 to 18 year-old range.
    Go BLUE!!!

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Surprised no one's noted the other NDFA signing the Reds have made- University of Louisville shortstop John Dao. He's been starting quite a bit at Billings.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/D/John-Dao.shtml

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=573623

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Surprised no one's noted the other NDFA signing the Reds have made- University of Louisville shortstop John Dao. He's been starting quite a bit at Billings.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/D/John-Dao.shtml

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=573623
    There ya go. That makes four SS on the depth chart before you even get to Dayton. I would think they may have room for one more between Valor, Marrero and Perez but that's probably it.
    Go BLUE!!!

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I doubt Dao is going to stick around long unless he puts up some digits- he's 23 and a half already.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    I doubt Dao is going to stick around long unless he puts up some digits- he's 23 and a half already.
    I'm thinking as much in terms of signing money as I am playing time/future in the organization.
    Go BLUE!!!

19th rounder Mitch Clarke has signed

Mitch Barnhart

I talked with a friend last night that knows Mitch's family and they claim they are waiting on acceptance from the Commissioner's office to validate the contract that Mitch has signed. Apparantly it's for mid 3rd round money (whatever that is), and they've been waiting now for almost 2 weeks.

Take it for what it's all worth, but hopefully, that paperwork will get through quickly and get him going to GCL for the rest of the summer.

Maybe the commissioner's office is swamped with contracts from all the draft picks.

A nice article on Perez and Marrero, sounds like Perez is going to take a bit longer to develop than Marrero. I also feel as though both these guys are going to be real tough signs, and we'll be lucky to get one signed.

http://www.pgcrosschecker.com/articl...x?article=1312

Turn Off Ads?