Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Friday 6/12/09 minor league updates

Re: Friday 6/12/09 minor league updates

As with Heisey, the Reds need to promote Wood soon and reward his dominating performance over 2 months at a level he spent time at last year. There has been very little movement in the system this year, but that should change soon.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds are getting Bailey ready. He will be in the rotation soon. Everything is pointing to a trade or two at the deadline.

While you may be right, I'm not certain how the Reds are "getting Bailey ready". They are pitching him in a 5 man rotation at AAA. What else can they do?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    While you may be right, I'm not certain how the Reds are "getting Bailey ready". They are pitching him in a 5 man rotation at AAA. What else can they do?
    I think he meant in terms of how many innings and pitches they were throwing him...If not they probably would of shut him down after 7 when he had 96 pitches...

With Bailey it is all about the k/bb rate IMO...If that stays at a 9/2 rate per 9 innings or even a rate around 7.5/2 then he will be fine...Guys really don't hit Homer hard that often, he gets himself into trouble with walks, and then he trys to make perfect pitches and gives up the big hit...but when he is on, he might give up a single here and a single there...

And as for fire sell...I would sell one or both of Harang/Arroyo but would like to see a SS that you don't have to worry about putting in the lineup everyday, whether he can defensively handle the position, and whether or not he can break the mendoza line with his bat...a good defensive SS, that can OPS in the 775-815 range, and I would be happy.

I honestly think CF is fine with in the organization with Dickerson/Stubbs...I would sell Taveras...

And I would like to see a LF. That could OPS around 840 or more...Man what Dunn would like in the middle of our lineup now...

Every Bailey start I get more and more confused by the guy.

Looks like Homer's starting to put it together (KNOCKING ON WOOD REALLY HARD)

There's no way I'd trade Harang and Arroyo though. Do you guys remember how long we've been waiting to have a legitimate rotation? Even if we don't get to the playoffs this year (I doubt we will) we need their veteran leadership in the rotation next year.

Pitching at premium with Cassel, Bats' Bailey
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 3:02 AM
    By Jim Massie

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

On an evening dominated by brilliant pitching, it figured that a ground ball through the legs of the first baseman lifted the Clippers to a 2-1, 10-inning victory over the Louisville Bats last night in Huntington Park.

The error by Kevin Barker on Michael Aubrey's grounder allowed Niuman Romero to score from second base with the winning run.

Through nine innings, Louisville starter Homer Bailey was scintillating. The Clippers won in front of 10,751 fans because starter Jack Cassel and relievers Tony Sipp and Vinnie Chulk (1-0) matched him. It wasn't easy.

"(Bailey) was unbelievable," Clippers third baseman Andy Marte said. "He was hitting his spots and throwing everything for strikes. When you've got a pitcher throwing 95 (mph) and throwing his breaking ball for strikes, it's tough to hit. He was consistent."

Marte got the game to extra innings by driving in the Clippers' first run in the sixth inning with an RBI single and tying the score at 1-1.

Aubrey was the only other Clippers player to have any success against Bailey. He doubled twice and singled in the middle of the sixth-inning rally. Aubrey tried to give the lead to Cassel, who allowed one unearned run in seven innings, but Louisville right fielder Darnell McDonald threw him out at the plate to end the sixth.

"That was fun to watch," Clippers manager Torey Lovullo said. "The starting pitching was as good as it gets. Jack was matching Bailey inning for inning. We had a tough time taking (Cassel) out of the game because of the way he was pitching. And Bailey was as good as we've seen this year."

The top pitching prospect for the Reds' organization, Bailey was touching 97 mph in the ninth inning.

"He had the 96-mph four-seam fastball," Lovullo said. "He had the power sinker going 88 to 92 (mph) and then a breaking ball. He could go to any pitch at any time. I think the most impressive part about his outing was the last couple of batters he faced. He stood on his fastball and got the job done."

Louisville manager Rick Sweet pulled Bailey with two on and two outs in the ninth. Jeff Kennard (1-1) retired Damaso Espino to end the inning.

In the 10th, Niuman Romero led off with a single and Michael Brantley sacrificed him to second. After Andy Cannizaro walked, Aubrey hit the ball right at Barker. It went through his legs.

The Bats scored first in the second. Daniel Dorn reached on a two-base error by first baseman Matt LaPorta. He went to third on McDonald's single and scored on a squeeze bunt by Danny Richar. Cassel slipped trying to field the ball. He did not slip again.

"He had command of his fastball on both sides of the plate," Lovullo said. "For the seven innings he gave us, it was fun to watch these two guys go at it."

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...K.html?sid=101
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Since Homer dropped the Change in favor of the Splitter: 3 Starts, 23.1 IP, 17 H, 1 R, 4 BB, 23 Ks.

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    Since Homer dropped the Change in favor of the Splitter: 3 Starts, 23.1 IP, 17 H, 1 R, 4 BB, 23 Ks.
    Nice....

A splitter, works very well at gab...

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    Great stuff. He'll be up here by the end of the year. I'm getting excited about Homer as I think he's finally starting to turn the corner. It would be nice that the next time the organization called him up, they told him that it was for the long run and to not worry about getting sent down.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    Looks like Homer's starting to put it together (KNOCKING ON WOOD REALLY HARD)

There's no way I'd trade Harang and Arroyo though. Do you guys remember how long we've been waiting to have a legitimate rotation? Even if we don't get to the playoffs this year (I doubt we will) we need their veteran leadership in the rotation next year.
    Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

Yep, I agree completely. I agree that we have holes in the big club. I don't think anybody could doubt that. But you don't sell off your proven assets to get unproven talent when you're wanting to fix things immediately. We've built a deep and talented farm system. If we're going to deal something to fill holes in Cincy...its from the farm that the trade pieces are going to come from. Sure, we could toss in some big league chaffe, but I don't want to see us trade off our "big" names for minor leaguers. Yes, we've got pitching depth for the first time in I don't remember HOW long...but you've GOT to have some veteran leadership to go along with that young depth.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    Do you guys remember how long we've been waiting to have a legitimate rotation?
    I do.

But I've been waiting to have a legitimate team for longer.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Nice....

A splitter, works very well at gab...
    I'm shocked they haven't tried to get Bailey to throw it in the past. With his hard stuff, he seems like the prototypical split-fingered pitcher.

Where'd the report of him starting to throw it come from?
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I do.

But I've been waiting to have a legitimate team for longer.
    Exactly. I understand not wanting to lose Harang and/or Arroyo, but when it comes to acquiring good players form outside the organization, you generally have to give up good baseball players in return. It's amazing how few people have grasped that concept.

I understand what you're saying but if you plug one hole to fill another you're not getting any better, you're just creating a new hole. The fact is the talent level on the major league roster needs to be upgraded. I believe we have a better chance of doing that by keeping the pitching staff intact and upgrading the offense by adding Heisley/Stubbs/Frazier plus adding another bat or two in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Exactly. I understand not wanting to lose Harang and/or Arroyo, but when it comes to acquiring good players form outside the organization, you generally have to give up good baseball players in return. It's amazing how few people have grasped that concept.
    Totally disagree, you don't improve your team by ridding it of 40% of its greatest strength which is starting pitching. Trading Arroyo and Harang is not very smart. They need to get to get Joey and Edwin back and they will be fine.
    Last edited by kfm; 06-13-2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: missed a word

Turn Off Ads?