Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should Walt do?

What should Walt do?

The Reds need some offensive punch, and they need it badly. The Reds have some players that could get that offensive punch via trade IMO. The Reds pitching seems to be just getting better at all levels.

--Homer Bailey went 8 2/3 shutout innings for Louisville. He allowed six hits, struck out nine and walked two. Over his last three starts, he's gone 23 1/3 innings and allowed one run on 17 hits. He's struck out 23 and walked four. He's 6-5 with a 3.13 ERA overall.

--Travis Wood, a left-hander, went seven shutout innings for Carolina. He allowed one hit -- I think he took a no-hitter to the sixth -- walked one and struck out nine. Over his five starts, he's gone 36 innings and allowed two runs on 19 hits. He's struck out 34 and walked four. He's 6-3 with a 1.11 ERA overall.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Matt Maloney has pitched pretty well in his first two starts in the majors. The Reds also have some good young hitters in AA. CF Chris Heisey, 24, is hitting .364 with 11 HR and 34 RBI's, and 11 SB's. Todd Frazier, 23, is hitting .333 with 4 HR, and 34 RBI's. Taveras is really struggling. The Reds have had hardly any offensive production at 3B, SS, CF all year. What do you do if your Walt? Do you trade Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, Woods or Maloney? Which one would be most valuable in the trade market? Do you bring up Heisey and Frazier and plug them into the lineup, and see what they can do? It's your call. What do you do if your Walt Jocketty?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What should Walt do?

Maloney looks good to me. Homer has dominated AAA before but could be a good option.

If the Reds are out of contention in July, you could see Harang and Arroyo get moved.

trade homer for a bat

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Bring Homer up and give him an honest, extended look. He needs to be with the Reds or dealt away, and I personally believe there's too much talent (and not enough trade value) to deal him right now.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Start with getting rid of the dugout dice

Trade Mike Lincoln for Albert Pujols.

Guys to go after:
    3b Reynolds-Ariz
    CF Rowand- SF
    LF Dye- CH WSox......I'm sure Walt could come up with a package or two to land these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Bring Homer up and give him an honest, extended look. He needs to be with the Reds or dealt away, and I personally believe there's too much talent (and not enough trade value) to deal him right now.

Not saying I disagree, but giving Homer an extended look with the reds could make him untradable if he pitches like he has in the past.

My Lineup.... ..... Bench

1. Rowand ......... Nix
    2. Bruce......... Gomes
    3. Phillips ......... Catcher
    4. Votto ......... Janish
    5. Dye ........ Hairston
    6. Reynolds ........ Taveras...only because Dickerson is traded
    7. Hanigan/Hernandez
    8. Gonzo
    9. Pitcher

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    I'll agree with this. If they're not going to give Homer his chance to be in this rotation, then it's time to use him as a trading chip. They're treading water with him and wasting time and value.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Trade Mike Lincoln for Albert Pujols.
    Maybe if we packaged Lincoln and Tavares they would include Carpenter along with Pujols.

I can't think of anyone on here that's preached patience more this season than I have. So, if I now think it's time to do something, then it's probably past time to do something.

What prompts this is that it's clear that the timetable for Edwin Ecarnacion to come back has long passed. Votto's a huge question mark, also. So, with the total uncertainty of those two, and the REDS having the good pitching that they do have, and the ineptness Offensively of Taveras and some others, I would attempt to get a veteran 3rd Baseman (Hairston plays 3rd base worse than he plays shortstop) in exchange for a minor league player.

You have to ask yourself though, who's available?

The most likely answer is Adrian Beltre, as even though the Mariners are playing better lately and are only a few games themselves out of 1st place. I don't think they will trade Beltre at this time, though as they are starting to win and they could use the infusion of fans this month that winning brings. Getting rid of Beltre's contract would help them a lot. This is the last year of Beltre's contract. He's earning $11.5M. As a Free Agent, the Mariners aren't going to resign him to a new contract next year. The price wouldn't be cheap, though.

But to be honest, EE's outhit Beltre each of the last three seasons, while Beltre, in a contract year, is having his worst season ever. He still plays great defense though, and as a veteran, might be just the right guy to bring aboard to the team for the rest of 2009.

I wouldn't trade EE for Beltre. That's too much, but that might be what it takes. We're then left shopping for a 3rd Baseman next season, too.

There's Ryan Zimmerman, too. He's 24 years old, and his numbers had gone down three straight years in 06, 07, and 08 until this season where they've skyrocketed up to a .910 OPS. What would that cost? Homer Bailey, probably. Maybe a bit more. But, it would also block the advancement of future REDS who are around the corner and will make their REDS' debuts in 2010 and 2011. Zimmerman doesn't become a free agent until 2012, and then a Restricted Free Agent at that.

What should Walt do, though?

If I were him, I'd do nothing and keep riding this thing out. We have Sutton, Rosales, EE, and Hairston to all play 3rd Base. Dickerson can play more Center while Willy tries to figure it out. Bruce is going to have to figure it out, too.

This team is just going to have to take it's lumps, and what it learns from this year will help it that much more next season.

2009 was never supposed to be about the playoffs. It was supposed to be about learning and preparing itself for a real run at 2010. If this was June 13th, 2010 and things were the way they were then, I'd go after some sort of Offense, but it would have to be impactual, like a Zimmerman. I'd trade Bailey and Encarnacion for Zimmerman. The Nationals would go for that.

Swap Hanigan and Taveras' batting orders.

Put some speed at the bottom of the order in front of the pitcher, who's bunting anyway, and get a guy at the top of the order who's hitting the ball.

Walt should not be a buyer. He needs to be a seller, and get what he can for Arroyo over the next 30 days. Get what he can for Gomes and Nix, if anything, and get what he can for Alex Gonzalez and Hairston, too.

If he can get someone to take Taveras for nothing, I'd do that, too.

i think he needs to make up his mind what to do now.... i say sell.... get what u can for harang (which is a lot) and arroyo (which could be pretty good) and also see if u can package hairston, gonzalez, nix and gomes in a trade... i think the time is now that we see francisco, alonso, bailey, maloney, wood/stewart, frazier, etc. start to get some REAL playing time with the big club... i don't care that maybe francisco and alonso are struggling right now in AA, let them get experience now so they can be ready to make a run next season.

Turn Off Ads?