Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Hanigan a legitimate catching fixture for the Reds?

Is Hanigan a legitimate catching fixture for the Reds?

I know his sample size is still small...but the dude is a lot better than what we've had.

He's not a power guy...he's never going to be a power guy so OPS isn't going to be a flashy stat for him. But he gets on base...whether it be by singles or walks. His current OBP is almost 400! His plate discipline is very good...the guy always gives a good AB. And even though the guy had a bit of a rough game tonight behind the plate, his defense is very good. His arm is great and he does a great job of blocking the plate and doing all the right things. He calls a good game too.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Hanigan a legitimate catching fixture for the Reds?

Imo, he has to be the starting catcher in '09. Beyond that we'll have to play it by ear a little as far as other options.

He's making a push for ROY candidacy. I'd say that's pretty good.

However once (if) Votto comes back, he will unfortunately see his role reduced, which is a shame, as I'd like to see if the kid is for real before going into next year.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

However once (if) Votto comes back, he will unfortunately see his role reduced, which is a shame, as I'd like to see if the kid is for real before going into next year.
    Hernandez is putting up similar numbers. Granted, he's getting on base less, but his power numbers are obviously much better.

I would think (and even hope) that once Votto comes back, Hanigan at least gets more PT than he was getting before, even if he is the "back-up."

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Hernandez is putting up similar numbers. Granted, he's getting on base less, but his power numbers are obviously much better.

I would think (and even hope) that once Votto comes back, Hanigan at least gets more PT than he was getting before, even if he is the "back-up."
    Agree
    Go BLUE!!!

I'd almost split the playing time between the two, let Hanigan learn from game calling skills. 2 above average catchers are better than one, and a catcher needs rest to be effective in August and September. I hope the Reds still matter in the division or wild card race at that point.

agree with all.

fantastic defense & can actually hit. yes he has no power but his OPS is very good due to high average & high OBP.

definitely pencilled in as the starting catcher for 120 games in 2010.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    He's not a rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    He's not a rookie.
    I don't know how long he was on the 25 man roster last year, but he did not accrue enough plate appearances in 2008 to use his rookie status.

The Reds seem to have really struggled with their philosophy towards breaking in players at the major league level. I completely understand not wanting to hand over a job to a guy who has yet to perform in the majors. But unless the guy is an absolute stud, it seems they have a lot of trouble making the switch when the guy does perform.

Guys like Dickerson and Hanigan should allow you to get an acceptable level of performance while giving you the opportunity to spend resources filling a big hole with an impact player. Instead, they routinely end up stuck in back up roles behind players who cost a few million bucks and provide no more production.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 06-14-2009 at 11:43 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The Reds seem to have really struggled with their philosophy towards breaking in players at the major league level. I completely understand not wanting to hand over a job to a guy who has yet to perform in the majors. But unless the guy is an absolute stud, it seems they have a lot of trouble making the switch when the guy does perform.

Guys like Dickerson and Hannigan should allow you to get an acceptable level of performance while giving you the opportunity to spend resources filling a big hole with an impact player. Instead, they routinely end up stuck in back up roles behind players who cost a few million bucks and provide no more production.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Joe Oliverish.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Hanigan has a wOBA of .348. Hernandez has one of .307. For those of you not familiar with wOBA, it's a significant difference such that Hanigan would be roughly 10 runs better than a major league average bat over 600 PAs while Hernandez would be -12 runs worse than a major league average bat over 600 PAs.

Now I don't think Hanigan is as good as his current wOBA of .348 (he's probably closer to average or a little below i.e. wOBA=.330). But Hernandez just might be what we're seeing offensively since it's basically more of the same compared to what he put up over his last two seasons in Baltimore.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I don't know how long he was on the 25 man roster last year, but he did not accrue enough plate appearances in 2008 to use his rookie status.
    Here's what I found at http://www.usml.net/rookie.html

A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the major leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a major league club or clubs during the period of a 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service).

He was shy of the 130 AB's. In '07, his time was after the rosters were expanded and last season he was only up about 20 days before September 1st, so technically, I think he still is a rookie.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Hanigan has a wOBA of .348. Hernandez has one of .307. For those of you not familiar with wOBA, it's a significant difference such that Hanigan would be roughly 10 runs better than a major league average bat over 600 PAs while Hernandez would be -12 runs worse than a major league average bat over 600 PAs.

Now I don't think Hanigan is as good as his current wOBA of .348 (he's probably closer to average or a little below i.e. wOBA=.330). But Hernandez just might be what we're seeing offensively since it's basically more of the same compared to what he put up over his last two seasons in Baltimore.
    Hernandez has been hitting the ball hard recently with a lot of "right at em's" and bad luck. I think Hanigan will come back to earth in a hurry. Just my opinion.

Turn Off Ads?