Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Hanigan a legitimate catching fixture for the Reds?

Re: Is Hanigan a legitimate catching fixture for the Reds?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Besides, if Ryan struggles in the least he'll get Dickersoned and he'll never see the light of day again.
    Which may happen anyway now that Votto is back. I think he'll be back to getting 1-2 starts per week, tops.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hernandez at 3rd is the funniest thing I've seen in a while. It was meant to be funny, right?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Hernandez at 3rd is the funniest thing I've seen in a while. It was meant to be funny, right?
    Hey, if Javy can play third...

I'm so tired of hearing about offensive production with runners in scoring position. It's simply not a skill worth looking at. Put the better hitter at the plate with guys on base, period. Hanigan has a .400 OBP but he should sit because of his BA with RISP? Ridiculous. Here's a thought Dusty... put the guy with the team high OBP at the top of the order so he can score some runs instead of relying on that singles hitter to drive them in...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    My only reservation about moving Hannigan to the 2 hole in the lineup is that tHe Dusty would starting filling his head with all these wacky notions about hitting second and mess with the kids stroke. Not saying that is what would happen, but Dusty definatley has some hardwired notions about baseball and Id hate to see him mess with the kid. Sometimes its better to fly below the radar at the bottom of the order.

Besides, if Ryan struggles in the least he'll get Dickersoned and he'll never see the light of day again.
    I see what you're saying, but I doubt that batting 2nd would really change anything Hanigan does. It's not like Dusty is going to say anything like "Now that you're at the top of the lineup, we need you to take more walks and get on base more." Hanigan got on base at a .383 as a minor leaguer in over 2000 PA's, and a .394 clip as a major leaguer in about 250 PA's, which really isn't that small of a sample size. The guy can hit, and the guy has patience. He would be a perfect number 2 hitter. He already has a #2 hitter's approach (patience, and a line drive hitter). Problem is he doesn't have Dusty's ideal #2 hitter approach (general suckitude and inept ability to get on base).

Hanigan hit 2nd? That's crazy talk. Dusty would never bat a catcher in the 2 hole. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Hanigan hit 2nd? That's crazy talk. Dusty would never bat a catcher in the 2 hole. Ever.
    Then put Hanigan at SS and bat him 2nd.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

ESPN article about the top rookies this season. I'm stunned...(NOT)...they left off Ryan from the list. That's simply a travesty IMO. He leads all NL rookies in AVG & OBP, his D is top notch and he's gunning down nearly 50% of runners.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...arting9/090624

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    ESPN article about the top rookies this season. I'm stunned...(NOT)...they left off Ryan from the list. That's simply a travesty IMO. He leads all NL rookies in AVG & OBP, his D is top notch and he's gunning down nearly 50% of runners.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...arting9/090624
    Ha. I saw your comment on there. How can we expect Hanigan to get Rookie of the year when he's going to be riding the pine behind the almighty Ramon Hernandez?

Anyone else notice that Hanigan's baseball reference page is sponsored by onbaseplusslugging.com? Haha I love it.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...anigry01.shtml
    Last edited by Homer Bailey; 06-24-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Ha. I saw your comment on there. How can we expect Hanigan to get Rookie of the year when he's going to be riding the pine behind the almighty Ramon Hernandez?
    Not sure about that. Given that extended look he just got, if Ramon continues to struggle at the plate, I wouldn't be shocked to see Ryan get quite a bit more playing time than he was prior to the Votto stuff.

Btw, Crasnick just replied in the comments....
    Sir Charles, Of all the players mentioned by readers, Ryan Hanigan is probably the one I should have included. It's tough being a rookie catcher, and Hanigan's on base and throwing percentages are impressive. But he's also hitting .167 with runners in scoring position, and he has 6 extra base hits and 8 RBIs in 126 at-bats. That's a pretty soft .325 average. If he's the frontrunner in the NL Rookie of the Year race. it's a real commentary on how weak this year's crop is.
    I hate the RISP stat. Break it down however you like Jerry...he's been ROCK SOLID. PERIOD.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 06-24-2009 at 03:50 PM.

Not sure about that. Given that extended look he just got, if Ramon continues to struggle at the plate, I wouldn't be shocked to see Ryan get quite a bit more playing time than he was prior to the Votto stuff.
    Crasnik responded to your post:

Sir Charles, Of all the players mentioned by readers, Ryan Hanigan is probably the one I should have included. It's tough being a rookie catcher, and Hanigan's on base and throwing percentages are impressive. But he's also hitting .167 with runners in scoring position, and he has 6 extra base hits and 8 RBIs in 126 at-bats. That's a pretty soft .325 average. If he's the frontrunner in the NL Rookie of the Year race. it's a real commentary on how weak this year's crop is.

And the likelihood of Dusty benching a veteran for a rookie is not likely at all.

And the likelihood of Dusty benching a veteran for a rookie is not likely at all.
    That one I'm not buying. I heard that stuff spewed like crazy when Dusty was being brought in here. I haven't seen any proof of it. None. Rookies (and youngsters) have gotten their playing time.

Same with the "Baker will ruin your young pitchers' arms". Haven't seen ANY proof of that either. Prior/Wood got injured due to their mechanics...not overuse by Dusty.

Sorry, not a rant at you really...just that mentality that Cubs fans started.

I think it's possible but it will take a pretty long bad spell from Hernandez in order for it to happen. Just like with Taveras.

That one I'm not buying. I heard that stuff spewed like crazy when Dusty was being brought in here. I haven't seen any proof of it. None. Rookies (and youngsters) have gotten their playing time.

Same with the "Baker will ruin your young pitchers' arms". Haven't seen ANY proof of that either. Prior/Wood got injured due to their mechanics...not overuse by Dusty.

Sorry, not a rant at you really...just that mentality that Cubs fans started.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I think it's possible but it will take a pretty long bad spell from Hernandez in order for it to happen. Just like with Taveras.
    It's more along the lines of Dusty being a player's manager. He keeps running WT out there. He kept running CP out there. He won't move Owings up in the lineup, or DH Owings. He cares more about the feelings of his players, or his gut feeling, than he does putting the best lineup out there. Which is why I don't think Ramon will get benched, because RH has been a heck of a lot better than WT, and WT is still in the lineup everyday.

Turn Off Ads?