Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Travis Wood

Travis Wood

He is dominating this year at AA. If he would have went the college route more than likely he would be a senior this year as he was a 2005 draft choice. Where would he be drafted today, and while we are on this topic same with Baily.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Travis Wood

The simple answer is neither one of them would be drafted as high. High school players are drafted more based on projectability and tools than as finished products. Simply because they are 4 years older the upside would not be seen as high.

The complicated answer is who knows? Situations shape and alter how people turn out and what they turn into. For example compare Bailey to Strausburg. If Bailey went undrafted would he have done whatever it took to get better? If Strausburg was a first round pick with a big contract and big expectations our of high school would he have gotten where he did. I don't know.

As a side note I would be really interested to see Travis Wood pitch this year because his numbers to me seem very odd. With his H/9 indicates he is missing bats, but his K/9 does not indicate he is consistently missing bats. His HR/9 rate and ERA are fantastic but his BB/9 is bad. I can't get a good read on him.

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    The simple answer is neither one of them would be drafted as high. High school players are drafted more based on projectability and tools than as finished products. Simply because they are 4 years older the upside would not be seen as high.

The complicated answer is who knows? Situations shape and alter how people turn out and what they turn into. For example compare Bailey to Strausburg. If Bailey went undrafted would he have done whatever it took to get better? If Strausburg was a first round pick with a big contract and big expectations our of high school would he have gotten where he did. I don't know.

As a side note I would be really interested to see Travis Wood pitch this year because his numbers to me seem very odd. With his H/9 indicates he is missing bats, but his K/9 does not indicate he is consistently missing bats. His HR/9 rate and ERA are fantastic but his BB/9 is bad. I can't get a good read on him.
    Simple he is tossing slop (balls) up there and people are swinging at it for ball in play outs. The disciplined hitters aren't swinging which is why his BB's are up, so many fewer disciplined guys in AA.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Simple he is tossing slop (balls) up there and people are swinging at it for ball in play outs. The disciplined hitters aren't swinging which is why his BB's are up, so many fewer disciplined guys in AA.
    That would be my conclusion as well simply based on the numbers. Have you seen him pitch?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

That would be my conclusion as well simply based on the numbers. Have you seen him pitch?
    I think its just like the rest of his career to this point... he struggles with his command from time to time. Lately he has really held the walks down and its a good sign. Hopefully things continue to trend that way.

That makes since for his early season starts, but his last 5 starts he has a 28/8 K/W ratio over 32 1/3 IP. Those numbers don't seem to jive with your "slop balls" explanation to me. Seems to me that he is getting better as a pitcher as the year progresses. Maybe his velocity is coming back from his injuries??

As in the other posts I have put out there on Travis Wood, I think he is one of the more interesting prospects in the Reds system.

Bum

Not since Dayton. But Doug makes the important points there.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    That makes since for his early season starts, but his last 5 starts he has a 28/8 K/W ratio over 32 1/3 IP. Those numbers don't seem to jive with your "slop balls" explanation to me. Seems to me that he is getting better as a pitcher as the year progresses. Maybe his velocity is coming back from his injuries??

As in the other posts I have put out there on Travis Wood, I think he is one of the more interesting prospects in the Reds system.

Bum
    Don't get me wrong, the more a pitcher can get people to swing at pitches out of the zone the better he can be. Travis Wood at one time was my favorite Reds pitching prospect and I still hold him in high regard. That said as Doug pointed out he had to learn better control and command which wasn't a big problem because he was so young at every level. Hopefully as Doug suggested he is now finally turning a corner with his control and command.

Wish Watson would do the same but I don't have the same belief and or hope for that to ever happen, Watson just doesn't seem like the type who will stay with it and work hard enough to reach his potential.

--Woody Hayes

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Simple he is tossing slop (balls) up there and people are swinging at it for ball in play outs.
    So Wood is the answer to the trivia question: "Which pitcher will discover the secret to BABIP?"

Wood had a high BABIP last year so it's not like he has some magical ability to turn balls in play into outs. A couple of key numbers on Wood for 2009:

BABIP: .255
    HR/F: 1.3% (!!!)

So far Wood is having one of the luckiest seasons I've ever seen. The question about him has always been his control, and it's the same as it's always been (bad). And his strikeouts are way down since moving to AA. A major correction is in his future.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Wood had a high BABIP last year so it's not like he has some magical ability to turn balls in play into outs. A couple of key numbers on Wood for 2009:

BABIP: .255
    HR/F: 1.3% (!!!)

So far Wood is having one of the luckiest seasons I've ever seen. The question about him has always been his control, and it's the same as it's always been (bad). And his strikeouts are way down since moving to AA. A major correction is in his future.
    Well the question really remains, has his control gotten better or is he just 'in the zone' right now in terms of, well, being in the zone? Obviously his BABIP and HR rate are going to have to go up at some point, but if his control has taken a legit turn for the good, then the two things are going to counter act each other a little bit.

Travis had a rough April. Since then, his numbers look much better. His BABIP in May was .310 and in the one game in June it was .200, which probably still leaves him in the .290-.300 range over his last 43.3 innings where he has struck out 21.3% and walked 9.8%.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    So Wood is the answer to the trivia question: "Which pitcher will discover the secret to BABIP?"
    In AA, yeah sure.

--Woody Hayes

Some good points are being made, but I see some positive development that should lead to some OPTIMISM from us fans. I look forward to checking out the results of each of his starts. A 22 year old LHP (starter) that is starting to show some potential. That's something the Reds need!

Bum

Well like I said I would really like to see him pitch before I make any judgment. His primary numbers don't seem to line up with his secondary numbers which at least on the surface indicates a certain level of good fortune. I know his velocity is down from when he was drafted but his changeup is better so I have no idea what he is like now.

Hopefully I will get back down to Carolina sometime soon to get a look. Last time I went my opinions of Heisey and Francisco completely changed so maybe I can see Wood and see whats up.

Well like I said I would really like to see him pitch before I make any judgment. His primary numbers don't seem to line up with his secondary numbers which at least on the surface indicates a certain level of good fortune. I know his velocity is down from when he was drafted but his changeup is better so I have no idea what he is like now.

Hopefully I will get back down to Carolina sometime soon to get a look. Last time I went my opinions of Heisey and Francisco completely changed so maybe I can see Wood and see whats up.
    Beware watching him play will cause you to like him. He's an athletic kid who fields his position well on top of his solid pitching. He seems smart, intense and in it to win it.

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?