Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Baker "Livid" with Phillips

Baker "Livid" with Phillips

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

What's worse? Missing a sign? Or ignoring a sign?

Brandon Phillips came to the plate with runners at first and second – both had reached on walks – and two outs in the fifth inning Saturday night with the Reds down two runs.

The count went to 3-0. Third base coach Mark Berry relayed manager Dusty Baker’s take sign.

“To tell the truth, I didn’t even look down there,” Phillips said. “I was trying to make something happen.”

Phillips flied meekly to right to end the inning.

The Reds would go on to lose 7-4 to the Royals. The Reds have lost three straight. They are just one game over .500 at 31-30. They need to win to tomorrow for a break-ever road trip.

Baker was livid afterward not because of the big picture, but because of Phillips’ indiscretion.

“Brandon was supposed to be taking 3-0,” Baker said. “That could have been the ball game. We had (K.C. starter Kyle Davies) on the ropes. (Phillips) said he didn’t see the sign. In that situation, you’re supposed to know to take.

“That’s a big play in the ballgame. You’ve got to know the score, the inning, the situation.”

Phillips decided to try to lift the offense on his own. The Reds are in the thick of team-wide slump. They’ve scored 40 runs in the last 14 games.

“We was struggling. We wasn’t getting no one on base,” Phillips said. “We weren’t hitting with runners in scoring position. I had an opportunity. I swung 3-0.

“He threw me a nice cutter. If I would have come through, it would have been the best play of the year. I tried to make something happen. For future reference, I will not do it again. I apologized to everybody: My bad for a 3-0 swing. I tried to make something happen.”

“I respect my teammates,” Phillips said. “They see what’s going on. We ain’t faced anyone who’s overmatched us. We haven’t been facing No. 1 pitchers. Our team is too damn good to be getting beat by the pitchers we face. We should be undefeated on this road trip.”

With the way the offensive is going, they really shouldn’t be.

The biggest sign of futility: Leadoff man Willy Taveras went 0-for-4. He’s not on an 0-for-32 skid. That’s the longest by a Red since Denis Menke went 0-for -33 in the 1973.

“It ain’t easy to watch,” Baker said. “We got go back to the drawing board.”
    This can't be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baker "Livid" with Phillips

I'm happy that Dusty called out Phillips this time. Phillips needs it. He's one of the dumbest players I've ever seen.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

While not a great decision by Phillips, with the lineups Baker has been constructing, Phillips may have been dumbstruck there were actually 2 men on base in front of him.

When Phillips swung I said to my wife "I hope Dusty didn't give him the green light." Looks like Brandon swung on his own after all...what a terrible, terrible decision. The pitcher couldn't have hit a 200 foot target at that point!

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I'm not gonna give Dusty any part of the blame on this one. He might not have done himself or the team any favors by calling Phillips out in public but it's hard to argue with Baker's hold sign or anger with BP for doing what he had done. I think I'm more disappointed in how BP comes across in his response, still sounds like he thinks he was doing the right thing and would do it again if he weren't being ripped about it. Obviously if he doesn't get it now after this he likely never will.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

How'd I know this was a John Faye article before I even clicked on the link? But anywho Phillips should probably be benched for a game because he ignored the sign IMO.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Remember that play distinctly and wondered what in the world. That is a microcosm of a slumping team--they're already struggling, then it gets worse before it gets better because folks are pressing.

Baker: “It ain’t easy to watch,” Baker said. “We got go back to the drawing board.”

The drawing board should include Dickerson in CF, at least against RHP.

Just before the 3-0 pitch, George asked Chris if he'd let BP swing and Chris said "absolutely."

FWIW.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

“To tell the truth, I didn’t even look down there,” Phillips said. “I was trying to make something happen.”
    Brandon, you're really not good of a hitter, you best pay attention better.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I'm happy that Dusty called out Phillips this time. Phillips needs it. He's one of the dumbest players I've ever seen.
    This quote from Phillips says it all to me:

"Honestly, in that situation, why wouldn't I swing on 3-0?" Phillips said. "We only had two hits at the time. Our offense stinks right now. I respect my teammates and they know it, too. They see what's going on. We really haven't faced anyone overmatching us. I can understand if we're facing No. 1 pitchers but we're not. Our team is too good to get out by the pitchers we're facing. We should be undefeated on this road trip.

"We're struggling. We're not getting anybody on base. We haven't been hitting with people in scoring position. I had an opportunity. I swung on 3-0. To tell you the truth, I didn't even look down there. I was trying to make something happen."
    Maybe some one should tell him that doing the pitchers job for him by swinging when you shouldn't is the primary reason no one is getting on base. The "respects his teammates" part is what gets me. Sounds like he thought he was the only one capable and had to swing there because he didn't want to leave it up to the next guy.

I'm a Phillips supporter and hope he's manning 2b for the next several years, but this is another example of why this team needs a clear "main man" on offense. Votto is stressing, Bruce is swooning and Phillips is appointing himself the guy who has to do it and he's clearly not that caliber of player. This team needs a clear top dog so that these guys can just play their game. Bruce and/or Votto may grow into that and accept the torch in a couple years, but they aren't there yet. I'm starting to believe that dealing off some youth for a top bat may end up paying off more in the future than it would be a win now move. The Reds have talented young players to deal, but they are not so high end that new ones won't come along. Dealing a few won't set the team back as much as force feeding Bruce and Votto into something they aren't ready for might.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

You have to occasionally swing at 3-0 pitches, otherwise the other team will know you never swing and it makes things easy for them.

This was not one of those times.

What I hate is that Phillips says" he threw me a nice cutter". When you do swing 3-0 it's becuase of the situation and becuase you get your pitch in the exact place you want it. You certainly don't swing at the pitchers "nice little cutter".

Haunted by walks

I hope this leads to a sharpening of the team's baseball IQ, but does it remind anyone else of other Reds managers who suddenly went "Little Napoleon" on the lollygaggers?

I would hope that Baker was just as livid about an 80 pitch complete game by Hochevar.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Bad signs of losing. Clubhouse is going to be on edge until the hitting begins again. Unfortunately, is there a batter in the Reds lignup to be afraid of?
    Hope Springs Eternal

Turn Off Ads?