Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Phillips hints players/coaches are upset with Votto?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Phillips hints players/coaches are upset with Votto?

I was listening to 97.1 The Fan here in Columbus today (ESPN radio) and the noon-2 hosts were talking about an interview they did with Brandon Phillips late last week. They didn't play any clips, but they both said Phillips strongly hinted that some players and coaches are upset that Votto isn't playing. Did anyone hear about this? Sorry if it's old news. I missed the interview last week, but I caught everything they were saying about it today.

My first reaction is if the players feel that way, BP should NOT be talking about it to the media. That should stay in-house. To be fair, I guess BP didn't say the players/coaches were upset, but he "strongly hinted" it whatever that means. But still, you just have to play it off like everything is cool when you are talking to reporters or you might throw your teammate under the bus.

I can fully understand how a player or coach on the Reds could be a little salty towards Votto right now. No one probably understands what he's going through and they probably think he should "suck it up" even if that's not what he should do from a medical standpoint. But you don't air your dirty laundry to the media. Just another reason this once-promising season is falling apart right before our eyes.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phillips hints players/coaches are upset with Votto?

his defense be damned, the guy can't leave the Reds soon enough for my taste. he's all "me".
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Doesn't sound like the Reds clubhouse is very unified.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

My guess is this is your classic case of the media turning something into a story that's not. Trying to stir the pot a little. Especially if they didn't play any clips of the interview and that we haven't heard anything about this out of Cincinnati. I'm sure Joey is killing himself right now that he can't be out there and his teammates are probably well aware of that..
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Doesn't sound like the Reds clubhouse is very unified.
    That can't be good for chemistry and the "never say die" attitude often ascribed to this team.

I won't bag on BPhil too hard here. We're taking the word of the radio talk-show guys, who may be totally misinterpreting things. If it comes out that their account of things is accurate, that's a different story.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'm not shocked.

Phillips has been toughing out an injury through a bad losing streak, has been publicly chastized by his manager for what Brandon feels is "trying to help the team," and sees Votto sitting out this entire time while physically healthy enough to play (by all indications).

I'd be shocked if there wasn't a bit of frustration there.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

PLEASE reserve judgment of BPhil until you hear the exact clip.

That is incredibly lazy and unethical reporting, in this humble journalist's opinion. "Hinted strongly?" Give me a break! Report exactly what he said or shut up. Don't infer! Ever!

I think this is second time Brandon has been hurt by the media taking something he said and putting their own convenient spin on it. If he said, it's nice to have Laynce Nix out there and not Adam Dunn... then that is an Adam Dunn slight. Anything else is exactly what he said, and up to the READER to interpret.

Reporters need to get themselves out of the story, and quick. It's killing this industry.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

I haven't heard the clip yet therefore I can't comment on what Phillips said or didn't say. I would advise other folks not to be so reactionary and err on the side of caution until you hear the interview. I am sure if it was that bad the local media would have been all over it, being that Phillips has been in their doghouse for a period of a few weeks. They were all over the Dunn incident can't see the press letting Phillips get away with popping off about Votto.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post

That is incredibly lazy and unethical reporting, in this humble journalist's opinion. "Hinted strongly?" Give me a break! Report exactly what he said or shut up. Don't infer! Ever!

I think this is second time Brandon has been hurt by the media taking something he said and putting their own convenient spin on it. If he said, it's nice to have Laynce Nix out there and not Adam Dunn... then that is an Adam Dunn slight. Anything else is exactly what he said, and up to the READER to interpret.

Reporters need to get themselves out of the story, and quick. It's killing this industry.

Remember too this isn't a reporter, who I'd probably trust over two guys talking on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post

No offense, but you seem to be suggesting that talk show radio guys are reporters. I don't know this show up in Columbus, and certainly some undertake some journalisting endeavors, but if they're like the folks we have down here, they're anything but reporters.

I can't speak to what Phillips allegedly said or not.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Here we go again. Brandon made these type of comments when Josh Hamilton was here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Here we go again. Brandon made these type of comments when Josh Hamilton was here.
    I wonder, maybe, if there is a little jealousy here, Brandon obviously wants to be "THE MAN" and perhaps doesn't look kindly on anyone who would dare challenge that, maybe Bruce, if he starts hitting, will be next
    Go Gators!

Phillips doesn't walk much and he dared criticize Dunn. He's enemy number uno here.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I'm willing to reserve judgment until a transcript or audio of BP's comments are made public. It would seem strange to me, though, that BP would make these types of comments to radio personalities in Columbus and not with anyone in the local media.

If it is true, I'd be disappointed. But I'm not going to blast BP for something unsubstantiated.

A few points:

-- I like Phillips a lot, but I don't think he's the smartest guy in the world.

-- Don't we all know by now that he says what's on his mind, even if it doesn't show great tact or judgment?

-- I can guarantee he isn't the only guy frustrated with Votto. These guys are conditioned to play throught injuries and pain and to miss their families and everything else. They kill themselves trying to win games. When they see a guy who isn't physically hurting going on the DL while the team sinks in the standings, you can bet there is going to be some resentment. It would be true in any clubhouse and was predictable.

Anyway, none of this is especially surprising.

Turn Off Ads?