Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Some absolute jerks on the WLW rain delay program

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Some absolute jerks on the WLW rain delay program

These people calling to say Joey Votto should "get over it" or "suck it up" or suggesting the Reds should try to get rid of him are really ticking me off tonight. They have no idea how serious anxiety and stress issues can be. It's an illness, just like anything else that might knock you out of work. And it can have deadly consequences. I have someone in my family who has been through it, and it's heart-breaking. I pray that Joey isn't dealing with anything as serious, but it could be.

People need to back off, hope for the best, and let this play out. The ignorance of some of these guys makes me ashamed to be a diehard sports fan.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Some absolute jerks on the WLW rain delay program

I had really bad anxiety and it wrecked my life until I got it under control. It is one of the most scary and REAL things I've ever been through. I wouldn't wish it on an enemy.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I never said it once, but tbh at most jobs you will be canned if you can't perform. That is how most of those people are thinking. Now if you have a really nice job they will give you a medical leave, but you would have to spend a ton of money getting the medical attention needed to prove it and most people can't afford that.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

You just can't listen to idiots like that. They have no idea what it means to truly be a fan of a player or a team.

FWIW, I also have struggles with anxiety. Not as bad as some but it did/does affect my life. Strange thing is, sports were always a great release for me but, when you're playing on this type of a stage, it can obviously have deleterious effects on your stress/anxiety rather than beneficial ones.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

I have some anxiety issues too, and these "suck it up" and get over it" guys can go suck it up a rope IMO. It's seriously debilitating--and mine is MILD/seasonal and related to another condition, not a full blown anxiety condition. <I'm female and over 40. 'nuf said on that....>

I feel for Joey, and hope he's getting whatever help he needs. If he comes back this season, gravy, if not then get the help he needs and we'll see him back better and stronger next year.

I just want Joey back in the lineup if he is able to play.There is nothing wrong with that imo.I admit that if Votto had a huge contract and wasn't just a 2nd year guy playing for what is probably close to league min. I could feel a little bit like the suck it up and play guys.The fact that the guy probably isn't the millionaire that some people think that he is and that he is being forced to carry the team when he is able to play he deserves some slack.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

^ Not to mention he was tearing the cover off the ball when this went down. Nobody wants Joey Votto back on the field more than Joey Votto.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

You are also listening to drunken rednecks because that is 95% of the people who call in to that stuff.

I agree completely. People think if its not physical, its not a big deal. It's actually a bigger deal IMO.

These people who call in and talk about how Votto needs to "suck it up" are the same ones who call in and propose trades like "Arroyo, Rosales and Taveras to Marlins for Hanley Ramirez and Josh Johnson." I distinctly remember someone proposing a David Ross for Roger Clemens trade a few years back. These people are idiots.

As a sidenote, notice that a couple days ago, when the reds weren't losing in bunches and not scoring at all, that everyone was all for respecting Joey's privacy and hoping for him to get better soon. The Reds start losing, and everyone wants him to take a pill and get over it. Ridiculous.

The Bananaphone is almost as bad as listening to Bill Cunningham any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy Weathers View Post
    I never said it once, but tbh at most jobs you will be canned if you can't perform. That is how most of those people are thinking. Now if you have a really nice job they will give you a medical leave, but you would have to spend a ton of money getting the medical attention needed to prove it and most people can't afford that.
    Um, ever heard of FMLA? They have to give you time off if you're incapacitated in some way. It's the law.

And FWIW, Joey looked pretty happy in the dugout tonight. I still think it's just side effects from his labyrinthitis, which we KNOW he had, and we KNOW it causes panic attacks and dizziness and the like. I don't buy all the theories that he's depressed or what have you.
    Last edited by gilpdawg; 06-17-2009 at 02:46 AM.

It would be unpaid leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    These people who call in and talk about how Votto needs to "suck it up" are the same ones who call in and propose trades like "Arroyo, Rosales and Taveras to Marlins for Hanley Ramirez and Josh Johnson." I distinctly remember someone proposing a David Ross for Roger Clemens trade a few years back. These people are idiots.
    I have those same people in my fantasy baseball league.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

I dont know how some of you couldnt think the same way about Votto at times. A lot of guys couldnt say "stress related" and take off work for a month.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I dont know how some of you couldnt think the same way about Votto at times. A lot of guys couldnt say "stress related" and take off work for a month.
    Mainly because most of us know that writing all this off as "work-related stress" is a severe understatement of the issue.

Turn Off Ads?