Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should The Reds Have Had A Retractable Roof For GAB?

Should The Reds Have Had A Retractable Roof For GAB?

I am a BIG TIME baseball purest but why not use the technology we have now a days. I always thought the Reds should have built a stadium with a retractable roof. This of course would prevent rain delays. I have driven to a couple of games from central Ohio where games were called off. I would bet attendance was down tonight because of the threat of rain which did of course happen.

Just think, if it was a rainy soaked weekend and families were in the house all day, they would say, "let's go to the ball game!" Walk up tickets sales would sky rocket.

You would not have to worry about the summertime heat with your kids etc.

If the Reds make the playoffs, colder weather would not be a factor.

You could possibly host some games in the World Baseball Classic.

Winter concerts (Jimmy Buffett!).

Various conventions.

In my opinion, it just would have made sense.

What are your opinions?
    Last edited by goreds2; 06-16-2009 at 10:24 PM.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should The Reds Have Had A Retractable Roof For GAB?

Or they could have built it at Broadway Commons and there would be a bunch of bars and restaurants around where in the event of a rain delay you can go and hang out. The problem with the Reds stadium is that there is nothing to do right around it. I know there is stuff in Kentucky, but thats not exactly the most convenient.

Building the stadium on the River and the incompetence of the city/county to get The Banks built has really cost the Reds.

It would have been a good idea. With so many new ballparks built over the past decade or so, GAB is kind of caught in the muck. Most don't consider it one of the top fairly new ballparks or anything like that. A retractable roof wouldn't be something new, but a little more unique than the other ballparks and it has its benefits like you listed.

we don't get that many rain delays, and i really like the open air feel to the new ball park. i do think that Paul Brown should have a retractable roof. then we could possibly get a super bowl here

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I think all new parks in the future should be required to have the feature.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

I think it'd be awesome to have a roof. Not only would it prevent delays from bad weather, you could also have it closed when it's too hot outside, and enjoy the game in room temperature.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassredleg View Post
    i think all new parks in the future should be required to have the feature.
    No way. I hate roofs in baseball. It just doesn't "feel" like a baseball game indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanWC View Post
    Or they could have built it at Broadway Commons and there would be a bunch of bars and restaurants around where in the event of a rain delay you can go and hang out.
    Whaaaaa? Have you ever been to "Broadway Commons?" Its a great place to park you car when heading to the bars on Main Street. And heck, if you are lucky, your car might even be there when you get back.

Why not just build GAB in between Avondale and Mt. Auburn?

The problem with the Reds stadium is that there is nothing to do right around it. I know there is stuff in Kentucky, but thats not exactly the most convenient.
    Just walk across the bridge. I hear with the Banks project they are planning to run a ferry across the river too. Plus, if you park in Newport and walk across the bridge to the game, you save 10 bucks in parking. Unless you park uptown. Then you are walking farther at that point then if you just would have parked in Newport and walked across the bridge. Plus, again, look where you are leaving your car.

Building the stadium on the River and the incompetence of the city/county to get The Banks built has really cost the Reds.
    The city putting nothing to do next to the ballparks except Extra Innings and a walk to Newport has really cost the Reds and Cincinnati in general. The ring of poverty surrounding downtown to the north, east, and west, literally chokes the life out of it. Those of you from Cincinnati, Council Election are in November. Make your voices heard unless you want more of the same. That's about the best advice I can give here.

Oh, and I think the retractable dome would have been a great idea too. More options and zero rain delays is a good thing.
    Last edited by Fon Duc Tow; 06-17-2009 at 01:12 PM.

The place would have to feel more like riverfront then. I like the openness of the outfield in this park and the great view it provides. That wouldn't be possible if you wanted a roof.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    No way. I hate roofs in baseball. It just doesn't "feel" like a baseball game indoors.
    Nobody prefers it, but when you're spending hundreds of millions of dollars on a facility, it should be a required option for all parks. Having rainouts or long delays like the Reds have encountered lately is bad for teams and fans alike. It can wreck your pitching staff, and it ruins a trip to the park for families.

And like someone else said, it gives you the opportunity to use your facility for other things throughout the year.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Votto = MVP

I wonder what the HR/G ratio would be in GABP in games where the roof is closed compared to the open-air games.
    2009 Attendance Record: 7-2

Votto = MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    And like someone else said, it gives you the opportunity to use your facility for other things throughout the year.
    Maybe a bowl game? That would bring a lot of money to the city and GABP. I know there are too many bowl games and all the new ones being added are pretty much pointless, but if there's money to be made, you might as well consider it. I know Tropicana Field and AT&T Park are both baseball venues that are able to make the transformation. If they're doing it, I'm sure we'd be able to as well.

I think this whole posts can be changed to a Minnesota Twins board. They are building a new open air stadium that may be a little chilly until July. Ha ha.

Votto = MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Jharb74 View Post
    I think this whole posts can be changed to a Minnesota Twins board. They are building a new open air stadium that may be a little chilly until July. Ha ha.
    I know. I'm still shaking my head on that one. I understand them wanting the option of having an open-air stadium, but you'd think they would consider a retractable roof a necessity for the early months and perhaps late in the season and playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by WILD THING View Post
    I know. I'm still shaking my head on that one. I understand them wanting the option of having an open-air stadium, but you'd think they would consider a retractable roof a necessity for the early months and perhaps late in the season and playoffs.
    I can't figure that one out either. I wonder how many double-headers they'll wind up with...

Turn Off Ads?