Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Civil Rights Game Questions

Civil Rights Game Questions

I'm heading down for the Civil Rights game on Saturday. I know there's been a lot of talk of Bill Cosby, Muhammed Ali and Frank Robinson all being on hand for ceremonies before the game. Are they supposed to be at the game as well? My girlfriend is really looking forward to seeing these men at the game but I haven't heard anything confirming that they'll be at the game itself.

Also, there was talk awhile back that President Obama would be there to throw out the first pitch. Has there been any follow up on that?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Civil Rights Game Questions

Nevermind, I found an article on Reds.com that answered most of my questions.

Mod, close this thread if you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Nevermind, I found an article on Reds.com that answered most of my questions.

Mod, close this thread if you see fit.
    Did it say who was throwing out the first pitch?
    Most Vottomatic Player

The only thing about Obama being here was the article that was written back in March. Nothing has been updated that I can tell.

Do you have a link to the new article?
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

I know we invited Obama to throw out the first pitch, but I don't think they'll say anything for security reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I know we invited Obama to throw out the first pitch, but I don't think they'll say anything for security reasons.
    When Bush 2 was here for Opening Day they broadcast it to the high heavens for months in advance, so I doubt they would be hiding it for security reasons. It is possible, though, as every administration does things differently.

Here's a link to the events schedule:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I think they'd have to announce it as having the president in would require extra secrurity that you couldn't really hide or put together at the last minute, and would extend the amount of time it would take fans to get into the park and to their seats. I'd think the average fan would be somewhat annoyed if they planned to walk into the park 15 minutes before first pitch, grab a beer and hotdog, and get into the seats before the national anthem only to find it took them 20 minutes to clear secrurity and miss the first pitch. If Obama was coming, we'd know by now, president doesn't the luxury of throwing many surprises.

Harmon: Cincinnati fitting for CRG
    Reds' first African-American player on hand for celebration

By Steve Gartner / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Chuck Harmon stepped to the plate and wondered if he was in a dream.

But it certainly wasn't. This was reality.

And in that reality, Harmon made history. When he registered his first at-bat as a pinch-hitter for the Cincinnati Reds against Milwaukee on April 17, 1954, he became the first African American to play for the Reds in their history. In his four-year career, Harmon finished with a .238 average and seven home runs and 38 RBIs.

"You look up at the crowd, and you look down at yourself and you wonder, 'Is this really me out there?'" Harmon said. "All of a sudden, a shiver goes through you and your whole body tingles."

Harmon was at the Reds' Hall of Fame on Wednesday morning as part of the celebration of the Civil Rights Game held Saturday at Great American Ball Park. He is considered the Jackie Robinson of the Cincinnati Reds. A resident of the Cincinnati suburb, Golf Manor, Harmon said Major League Baseball couldn't have picked a better place for the first regular-season Civil Rights Game.

"Cincinnati being at the top of the world in baseball is why they wanted to promote the game here," Harmon said. "Cincinnati is the baseball capital of the world."

Harmon believes the Civil Rights Game is a fitting way to honor the legacy of the Negro Leagues and baseball's impact on the Civil Rights Movement.

"I think they want to show history," Harmon said. "And they have to show it all."

Harmon, originally from Washington, Ind., wasn't always just a baseball player. Being from the "Hoosier State" Harmon excelled in basketball winning the Indiana high school state basketball championship twice. His play earned him a basketball scholarship to the University of Toledo.

From there, Harmon's success in basketball continued. He led the Rockets to the National Invitation Tournament final where they lost to St. John's. He also received All-American honors in 1943.

"That was the big tournament," Harmon said. "It was like the World Series."

Harmon briefly played in the Negro Leagues for the Indianapolis Clowns. His stay only lasted five games, though, before he took a job with the city of Toledo Recreation Department.

Harmon signed with the Reds in 1952 as a utility player. He then played in the Texas League for the Tulsa Oilers for a season and also played the Puerto Rican League.

Yet nothing topped the thrill of joining the Reds in 1954.

"You hope you never wake up," Harmon said. "The thrill lasts forever in your mind."

He said wasn't worried about any prejudices his teammates and fans held against him because of his race. He also had a teammate of Puerto Rican descent, Nino Escalera.

"I didn't have any fights," Harmon said. "The fans all treated me good."

Harmon also treats the fans well. He carries a deck of signed baseball cards with him and he gives them to young fans who are often too scared to approach him for an autograph. He said he jokes with fans about charging money for autographs as a way to put them at ease.

"Have the check in the mail by Monday," Harmon jokingly said he tells fans.

Harmon continues to follow the Reds and attends games on a regular basis. He said whenever he needs tickets they accommodate his wishes.

And when he watches the Reds, he can relive his dream.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I am going to this game but didn't realize it. Not that it isn't an important topic but I just wanted to go watch a ballgame and not be showered with history lessons and constant honorees yada yada.

I just ask that they were the socks correctly....no pants that look like pj's please.

This is a pretty cool gig. The game is on MLB Network, should have lots of fantastic coverage.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I believe Frank Robinson will throw out the first pitch.

I'm gonna try my best to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I just ask that they were the socks correctly....no pants that look like pj's please.
    With stirrups, please.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Turn Off Ads?