Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Votto Going on Rehab Assignment

Re: Votto Going on Rehab Assignment

Castellini on Votto, payroll
    Posted by JohnFay at 6/17/2009 5:26 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Joey Votto and owner Bob Castellini met briefly behind home plate. Votto then left, headed off for his rehab. probably in Sarasota, although the Reds haven't officially announced that..

"He's going to be all right," Castellini said.

Votto's return -- even if it's a nearly two weeks away like Dusty Baker said -- will be a huge boost to the Reds. That may be why they've basically stood pat while the team's struggled. When asked if the team would add payroll through a trade, Castellini said:

"We've got some flexibility. We're not looking. We've got some key guys in sick bay right now."

Votto, Edwin Encarnacion and Edinson Volquez are all on the disabled list. All will likely before the All-Star Break. Encarnacion (wrist) and Votto (stress) took batting practice together Wednesday afternoon. They hit well enough to play tonight. Encarnacion's rehab will probably begin shortly after Votto's.

Castellini is pleased with the club overall -- particularly the effort.

"The fans know these guys are plugging away, play for each other," he said. "I know we're only one game over .500. But the effort is there. They play hard."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Votto: Off to Sarasota and some baseball
    By Hal McCoy | Wednesday, June 17, 2009, 04:51 PM

Joey Votto, noticeably lighter, walked past a small gathering of writers near the batting cage early this afternoon and I asked, “Joey, are going out on rehab?”

“Yes,” he said.

“When,” I said.

“Tonight,” he said.

“Where?” I said.

“Florida,” he said.

That was it - the longest interview I’ve had with Votto since he went on the DL May 30 with stress-related issues.

Florida, of course, is Class A Sarasota in the Florida State League and the fact he is beginning game action is outstanding news for the Cincinnati Reds.

“He said he is feeling a lot better,” said manager Dusty Baker. “His stroke is so short and compact that his timing will be easier to get than it would for most guys. We have to make sure he doesn’t pull anything, that he gets his wind back. It is sort of like going back to spring training for him, so to speak.”

But this isn’t going to take six weeks. Baker is guessing that Votto might return after the Reds come back from a six-day trip to Toronto and Cleveland that begins Tuesday and ends a week from Sunday.

For sure Votto would love to return in time to play in his hometown, Toronto, but that’s six days away and Baker said, “That’s too soon.”

Said Baker, “We want him to come back right and it sure will be a pleasure and a joy to get him back.” For sure, a joy to get Joey.

Of his thin stature, Baker said Votto looks as if he has gained some of it back, but he isi still thinner than when he went on the DL. “You can tell he is gaining it back in his neck and his face.”

Baker said Votto probably would tell him he is ready quicker than he is actually ready. But not Toronto, “Even though he’d like to play there. But Toronto is Tuesday . You always want to go home, but if he starts Thursday on rehab, that ain’t enough time. I’m thinking, realistically, after this road trip. His legs are going to be sore from running and bending up and down at first base. If everything goes right, probably when we come home. That’s 10 days for him - but it could be sooner.

“I’d rather have him super ready these next three months,” Baker added. “If he calls and says he’s ready, well, for a young man Joey knows himself pretty well. He’s honest.”

Votto and owner Bob Castellini huddled near a wall in front of the home plate screen during batting practice and chatted for several minutes. Castellini patted Votto on the shoulders and Votto returned the gesture as he walked toward the clubhouse to head for Florida.

ALSO, the Reds lost pitcher Mike Lincoln and gained pitcher Josh Roenicke. dLincoln was placed on the DL with a bulging disc in his neck, an injury he tried to hide from the team. Roenicke was recalled from Class AAA Louisville.

“He had it for a while, but he didn’t want to say anything,” said Baker. “He thought he was letting the team down already and I told him, ‘Hey, man. This is just making it worse.’ That’s nothing to play with - neck, back or spine problems. He said he was trying to fight through it, especially all the time he was on the DL before (three years with Tommy John surgery) that the last thing he wanted to do was go back on the DL.

“I understand that, but it is not quite hero time yet,” Baker said. “It’s admirable whenl your guys want to play, want to pitch and contribute, but hopefully now we can get it straight and he can come back and be the Linc that we know.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs..._and_some.html

Great news, I hope everything goes smoothly for Mr. Votto.

Has anyone wondered if JV may have issues related to a fear of flying? What would happen if a major leaguer just couldn't handle flights?

Excellent news.

Plus, should he be with the Bats than I may get to see him when they come to Charlotte next week.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Has anyone wondered if JV may have issues related to a fear of flying? What would happen if a major leaguer just couldn't handle flights?
    Jackie Jensen retired.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Jensen

Jensen announced his retirement from baseball in January 1960, primarily because of an intense fear of flying but also due to the long separations from his family. He stated, "I have only one life to live, and I'll be happier when I can spend it with my family. Being away from home with a baseball team for seven months a year doesn't represent the kind of life I want or the kind of life my wife and children want." Indeed, upon his trade to the Red Sox in 1953 he considered not reporting to the team in order to return to his family in California, but general manager Joe Cronin increased his salary by $1,000 and he agreed to play. As teams had increasingly turned to air travel in the 1950s, he had unsuccessfully sought to combat his aversion to flying, aided considerably by Red Sox owner Tom Yawkey, who arranged for therapy treatments. Once baseball expanded to the West Coast in 1958, and with further league expansion and constant air travel foreseen, these difficulties became virtually insurmountable. Jensen returned to play in 1961, but turned to hypnotherapy when his panic attacks at airports became unbearable. Frustrated by a sub-par season (.263, 66 RBI), he retired again for good.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Jeez... if he is able to play at all, no need for a rehab assignment. Fifty percent of Joey Votto is much better than the average 2009 Cincinnati Red when it comes to hitting. I don't want him hitting .400 in the minors; doesn't do us any good. We need him now.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Jeez... if he is able to play at all, no need for a rehab assignment. Fifty percent of Joey Votto is much better than the average 2009 Cincinnati Red when it comes to hitting. I don't want him hitting .400 in the minors; doesn't do us any good. We need him now.
    My take on it is that the Reds need to see how Joey handles the game, which is why 2 weeks was mentioned. I don't think it's about whether Votto is ready to hit or not- heck when he was dizzy with the inner ear infection he was still the best hitter on the team.

I think it's about how he is going to handle the stress of playing. It's no good to have him back on the roster and then out of the game by the 3rd inning of the 2nd game he plays.

I have a feeling (strictly from how this is being handled and what I know about stress, not from any inside info) that Joey's problems are deeper than some of us think they are.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    This would be true if this were a normal injury/circumstance. But I think it's pretty clear that it's the case.

Baker said Votto probably would tell him he is ready quicker than he is actually ready. But not Toronto, “Even though he’d like to play there. But Toronto is Tuesday . You always want to go home, but if he starts Thursday on rehab, that ain’t enough time. I’m thinking, realistically, after this road trip. His legs are going to be sore from running and bending up and down at first base. If everything goes right, probably when we come home. That’s 10 days for him - but it could be sooner.

“I’d rather have him super ready these next three months,” Baker added. “If he calls and says he’s ready, well, for a young man Joey knows himself pretty well. He’s honest.”
    I get the sense (and I could be wrong) from these statements that he will be playing in Toronto so long as he doesn't suffer any setbacks on this rehab assignment. I also sense that Dusty is just trying to make sure no additional pressure is on Votto and if something were to go wrong, it could be closer to the end of the month.

Wierd that he was noticably lighter. Whatever was wrong with him doesn't sound good at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Wierd that he was noticably lighter. Whatever was wrong with him doesn't sound good at all.
    When you get stressed out or depressed for a period of time it can have a serious impact on the appetite.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Send him to Carolina for his rehab. Let them boys rub shoulders with him so they can stay hungry and maybe impress some higher ups to give them a chance and take the plane ride back to Cincy with him.

At this point, getting Votto back is just gravy. I just hope that he successfully deals with whatever he is battling right now. First have health and happiness. Then worry about baseball.

I'm rooting for Votto to get healthy like he's batting in the bottom of the 9th with two outs and bases loaded in game seven of the world series
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    And I'd certainly appreciate if the speculation ended at this point -- please respect Boss's request and Joey's wishes to keep the situation private until hard information comes out.

Not singling you out R44; just a warning to the discussion.

Carry on.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?