Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bailey's split decision has foes dazzled

Re: Bailey's split decision has foes dazzled

OK, 40 times a game might be an exageration, but if he's throwing it 10-15 times in the actual game, I'd have to figure he'd throw it an additional 10-15 times b/w warm ups and b/w inning warmup pitches, so perhaps 20-30 times in a game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The splitter is fine if you throw it like a fastball. Its when guys get off the seams and let it slip out of their fingers to get that extra movment that causes some problems.

If Homer does turn out to be something magical...you could argue his up/down from the majors to AAA could be beneficial to the Reds. Instead of controlling him from 2007-2012 (aprox.) his arb clock has been pushed back the good part of 1.5 years. Who cares if we had him in 07 or 08...the Reds were not in contention. Also...he is nearing or at the point where his arm does not need to be babied anymore. I'm just trying to look at the bright side of things here...don't get on me too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If Homer does turn out to be something magical...you could argue his up/down from the majors to AAA could be beneficial to the Reds. Instead of controlling him from 2007-2012 (aprox.) his arb clock has been pushed back the good part of 1.5 years. Who cares if we had him in 07 or 08...the Reds were not in contention. Also...he is nearing or at the point where his arm does not need to be babied anymore. I'm just trying to look at the bright side of things here...don't get on me too hard.
    Shoot, I'd be happy if Homer turned out to be a #3 starter at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If Homer does turn out to be something magical...you could argue his up/down from the majors to AAA could be beneficial to the Reds. Instead of controlling him from 2007-2012 (aprox.) his arb clock has been pushed back the good part of 1.5 years. ...
    Seriously? If that's true that's pretty cool and something I can be happy about.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

If he stays with the Reds, Bailey will be eligible for arbitration in either 2012 or 2013.

Homer Bailey is a great young man!!! He will be in the Bigs..Go Reds!!!

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    If he stays with the Reds, Bailey will be eligible for arbitration in either 2012 or 2013.
    Like I said...thats the bright side. Had he come up in 2007 and stuck...he would have been arb-eligible in 2010 or 2011.

"I've had Homer three years and never seen him anywhere near as dominating, game after game after game," Sweet said. "He's controlling the best hitters in this league, absolutely controlling them with his stuff."

That statement, and Maloney's inability to keep balls in the park is all I need to give my opinion that Homer should get these starts until Volquez is back. Not gonna know how good the splitter is until its thrown up here.
    2010 Attendance Record: 7-4
    2009 Attendance Record: 14-16

Stop! Homer time!!

Quote Originally Posted by corwinator3407 View Post
    "I've had Homer three years and never seen him anywhere near as dominating, game after game after game," Sweet said. "He's controlling the best hitters in this league, absolutely controlling them with his stuff."

That statement, and Maloney's inability to keep balls in the park is all I need to give my opinion that Homer should get these starts until Volquez is back. Not gonna know how good the splitter is until its thrown up here.
    Yeah...Maloney has had a real shot with a whopping 3 starts this year at The Show.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Yeah...Maloney has had a real shot with a whopping 3 starts this year at The Show.
    I am all for giving Maloney his shot, but his issues in the minors seem to be the same ones people feared in the Majors. That he would be prone to lots of HR's. Still, if Bailey is rocking it, he needs his chance today. Maloney has options. Bailey is out of them after September. Honestly, its a tough break if it were to go down like that for Maloney, but at the same time Homer got 1 shot this year in the Majors and it was his worst game in about 12 starts. If Maloney had had his first shot this year, but pitched like he did the other night, would he have been sent back down? Who knows, but I bet he would have been. Fact is, the Reds must know if Bailey is ready before this year is up. They don't need to know that with Maloney.

Maloney is a guy I'd be shining up for a trade. I have no doubt he'd be a solid starter for San Diego, Seattle, the Nats etc. but getting half his starts in a homer friendly park is going to be dicey for an extreme fly ball guy. I like how he's pitched so far, but the homers are going to be a big liability for him in GAB. I'd bring Bailey back and let him try his new arsenal on the majors, and option Maloney back to AAA to keep winning and help his value stay high while I looked long and hard at what one of these pitchers park teams have that might be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am all for giving Maloney his shot, but his issues in the minors seem to be the same ones people feared in the Majors. That he would be prone to lots of HR's. Still, if Bailey is rocking it, he needs his chance today. Maloney has options. Bailey is out of them after September. Honestly, its a tough break if it were to go down like that for Maloney, but at the same time Homer got 1 shot this year in the Majors and it was his worst game in about 12 starts. If Maloney had had his first shot this year, but pitched like he did the other night, would he have been sent back down? Who knows, but I bet he would have been. Fact is, the Reds must know if Bailey is ready before this year is up. They don't need to know that with Maloney.
    I actually don't really disagree with that...but rather, the other poster made it sound like this has been a problem for a long time. It's been 3 games.

I'd still like Homer to spend a little more time in the minors...but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I actually don't really disagree with that...but rather, the other poster made it sound like this has been a problem for a long time. It's been 3 games.

I'd still like Homer to spend a little more time in the minors...but that's just me.
    I am with you. I don't really think we need to make the Bailey move to the majors tomorrow or anything, but before the end of the season its something the Reds need to do. Before September, when he faces 1-8 MLB hitters. I mean really though, Maloney has been pretty good besides the HR rate. Strong walk rate, solid K rate, just lots of HR's.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Maloney's FB rate has shot through the roof in the bigs. His struggles have been 100% because of that. The other fear, that his stuff wouldn't translate and we'd see a major K/9 drop, has not happened. His K/BB has been very good, better than Johnny Cueto actually. But he has gone from a slight fly ball type in the minors to a flyball machine giving them up at a Milton-like rate. Obviously, that needs to stop for him to succeed. Even with those struggles, his xFIP is 5.04 - I think that's pretty close to what people expected from him, and it's better than both Owings and Arroyo. Not that Maloney is pitching awesome or anything but he's been decent, especially for a guy making his first career starts.

I am extremely excited about Bailey's recent results but I would not call on him right now. The Reds have been yanking him around forever. He just got called up a month ago and got destroyed. It's been a couple of years since Homer really dominated, so let him dominate AAA and refine this new splitter. I agree that he needs up by the end of the year so the Reds can see what they've got but it's mid-June, there's plenty of time for that later.

Turn Off Ads?