Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many more starts will Maloney get?

How many more starts will Maloney get?

I am wondering how many more starts Maloney will get after allowing 6 HRs in 13 innings.

I say this has to be his last one, he is better served in AAA right now. He needs to learn to stay low in the zone. Every meatball pitch was up in the zone.

Just read the article about Bailey's split finger. Let's see him again.

What say ye?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: How many more starts will Maloney get?

I've seen enough. Matt Maloney is taylor made for AAA baseball. He'd have been a nice addition for us when Steve Parris was our ace. Not now. He won't ever be much in this park. Maybe would be a good fit in San Diego or a pitchers park. Guys simply make too much contact off him.

Give Bailey the rest of the season to prove he can or can't do. Not 1 start.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Good lord, after 4 starts? I'm not sure if this post is sarcasm or not.

Either way, he'll be sent down once Volquez gets back.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I think Bailey could be just as effective as Volquez has been this season if given the same amount of starts we've already given Edison. I'm not impressed with him this season and he'll be chasing his 2008 performance for the rest of his time here, you watch. The better end of that Hamilton deal will end up being Herrera for us. We've already seen the best of Volquez i feel. He has bad mechanics. If he isn't an ace and homer isn't that leaves only Cueto. Harang and Arroyo aren't long for the game.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Reading box scores for this latest crew of Reds tells me that we have to have Joey back ASAP. Edwin gets one last shot here as a Red, and if he doesn't hit when he comes off the DL, he's gone as a Red. And we have got to get a couple of decent bats.

See ya Rosales...nice hustle, and a couple of jokes, but you are not MLB material. At least for this team who already has 3-4 of you. (Willy, Hairston, Dickerson)

Hairston, great guy to have on the bench, but let's just hope you can stay there 3 days a week at least without starting.

Nix and Gomes, get used to sitting more often. Consistency is the only way to be a starter in the majors. Go find some.

Alex, you should never bat above 8th ever again. And why are you batting 2nd over Hannigan?

Hernandez is getting tired, BP is starting to go back to old habits, Bruce needs another year to mature and learn to stop swinging at crap, and these three are your better hitters.

It's only mid-June and these guys look whipped. Hello, the season is 6 months long.

When's the ASB?

total DFA, hes hitting worse than Willy

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I think Bailey could be just as effective as Volquez has been this season if given the same amount of starts we've already given Edison.
    Baily > Volquez? If this was true, the Reds would be in great shape as Volquez is a very good pitcher. Bailey will need to improve his command to overtake Volquez.

People around the rest of the league think more of Volquez than Red's fans. He is a great pitcher but he got tired last season. Then he threw international ball in the off-season and never got fully rested. He was in top form for the World Baseball Classic. there was no way he was going to keep that form all the way to September. Right now the Reds are giving him a break and once his tendonitis is gone I expect him to be back. The guy was a top 5 NL pitcher last year, so I think it's crazy to blow him off. Just because one scout said in a blog he has bad mechanics and now everyone believes it.

WOW!! Who are you people? Fans of the Reds?? Give these guys a break..The Reds are working hard and I think they will make wise choices real soon..
    Go Reds!!!

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Some of the posts around here lately have me questioning my sanity.

I am as big a fan of Homer as anyone else but, why the hell would we want him right back up here so soon after he got bombed, yet again, in the majors? Homer Bailey can still be a great major league pitcher but, why so many people fail to see he needs some serious minor league seasoning is beyond my pay grade, as the Celebrident would say. You can't just keep calling him up each time he has a couple of good starts. Homer Bailey is not ready for Major League Baseball at this point. I pray you ladies and gents can all absorb that fact soon.

As for Matt Maloney, I have a different take than most. Yeah, he left the yard a few more times than we would like, as was his minor league tendency, but he was not this weak-(butt) tossing lefty that we were all expecting. He touched 90-91 on the gun several times during his starts and he also looked like a pitcher that could stick in the bigs as a #3 or a #4. He kept us in the ballgame each and every start, which is something Homer Bailey has done only what, once or twice? Put it this way - had Maloney been the #1 draft pick with the high expectations and Homer Bailey the dude we got for Lohse, we'd all be giddy with excitement over Maloney and ready to jettison Bailey. After all, our new #1 draft pick Mike Leake doesn't throw that much faster than Maloney. Besides, Matt Maloney has a better BA and OPS than our leadoff hitter. That has to matter, right?
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

As many as is needed til Volkie comes back. He has not pitched awful in really any game. Todays line looks bad due to fisher coming in to relive with serious control issues. The previous game he got the short end of the stick when Ramon handled the pickoff terribly and extended the inning. Remember this guy is a rookie and is looked at as a BOR starter, given those circumstances he has pitched well. Lastly he may feel pressure to try and throw a perfect game each time out there just to keep the team in the game given their paltry offensive performance.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    As many as is needed til Volkie comes back. He has not pitched awful in really any game. Todays line looks bad due to fisher coming in to relive with serious control issues. The previous game he got the short end of the stick when Ramon handled the pickoff terribly and extended the inning. Remember this guy is a rookie and is looked at as a BOR starter, given those circumstances he has pitched well. Lastly he may feel pressure to try and throw a perfect game each time out there just to keep the team in the game given their paltry offensive performance.
    Fisher didn't give up the home run balls..

Homer's stats since his one apperance here
    5 games, 4-0 record
    37.1 IP
    35 Hits
    3 ER
    31 K
    8 BB
    0.73 ERA
    1.16 WHIP

Not saying, just saying...

I don't have much to add here but I really REALLY think Homer should be the guy here the development of the splitter has evolved Homer as a pitcher completely. I don't need to post the stats (thanks corwinator3407) and also correct me if I am wrong Homer hasn't gave up a home run ball since being send back down either.

31K:8BB ..i think he is throwing strikes consitently.

At least get the kid up here until Volquez comes back, if he pitches good and proves he has what it takes to be in the rotation that gives you a few solid options.

Move Owings to the pen
    or
    Trade Arroyo/Harang

I don't know how people can say Homer is not ready to be a Major League Pitcher this year after one start.
    Last edited by Shawn_RedsFan; 06-19-2009 at 02:52 AM.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

This was the only outing I'd consider to be a "bad" one for a guy filling a No. 5 spot. He's still got value to this team in the future IMO.

That being said, I'm excited to get Edy back.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Could Maloney be a cheaper left handed version of Arroyo or Owings? I think so. He's 4-5 starter material. Nothing more.

I think we really need to move one of our vet starters for a bat ASAP. Preferably Arroyo but I wouldn't be adverse to trading away Harang if it brought back a nice middle of the order bat.

Turn Off Ads?