Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At Plate, AL Pitchers in Peril in Interleague Games

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

At Plate, AL Pitchers in Peril in Interleague Games

Wow, running the bases is dangerous.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...at-plate_N.htm

At plate, pitchers from AL in peril in interleague games

By Paul White, USA TODAY
    PHILADELPHIA — For the second season in a row, a key pitcher for an American League contender has been injured after batting in an interleague game at a National League stadium. And Toronto Blue Jays manager Cito Gaston isn't taking any more chances after losing his closer Scott Downs.
    "I'm just talking about getting out of the way of the ball," Gaston said after Downs sprained a toe while running to first base after batting Tuesday and ended up on the disabled list.

So the next night, Toronto starter Scott Richmond followed Gaston's orders and took all nine pitches he saw in his first two at-bats and struck out both times. Even when allowed to swing the next time, then bunt two innings later, he kept striking out. "He told me no swinging," Richmond said. "I stood there and hoped (Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Jamie Moyer) walked me."

Gaston had spoken strongly against his pitchers batting in games in NL parks even before the injury to Downs, who hadn't batted since 2004. Gaston now has gone beyond recommending his pitchers not swing.

"In interleague play," Gaston says, "use the DH. Otherwise, forget it."

He isn't the only one.

Last year, New York Yankees co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner said, "I think it's time the National League joined the 21st century," after losing starter Chien-Ming Wang for the final 3˝ months of the season when he tore a foot tendon running the bases against the Houston Astros. Wang was 8-2 at the time. He has returned this season but is 0-5 with a 12.65 ERA.

"Don't give me that traditionalist crap," Steinbrenner said.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: At Plate, AL Pitchers in Peril in Interleague Games

Those guys have to bat how few times a year during interleague play (in NL parks ONLY) and they're complaining about it?! Give me a break. I know fluke things sometimes happen but these pitchers could just as easily twist an ankle or sprain their foot running to cover 1B or 3B during one of their regular games. Do injuries to AL pitchers happen every single season or is this something new because I don't remember too many injuries from past seasons during interleague play.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

These guys are athletes...pitchers probably do more running during the season and spring training than any other player.

Give me a break.

Gaston and Steinbrenner. What a couple of "whiners.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Gaston and Steinbrenner. What a couple of "whiners.
    or winners.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

AL Monkeys, they can't eat NL banana's without complaining, too ripe, too green... yawn... the DH is monkey ball.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

They don't like it, they can always forfeit, can't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    or winners.
    To each his own. Whiners for me. You can have both of them and the DH.

Gee, maybe we could make a semicircle around the inner part of the infield that might make a pitcher have to strain himself fielding a ball an automatic out also? Do AL pitchers back up bases and cover first or do they refrain from that because they might strain leg muscles? Bring back golf carts with baseball hats so they don't have to run in from the bullpen. Never know when they might slip trotting in.

Tom Browning tore up his knee sliding into home plate and he was never the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    "Don't give me that traditionalist crap," Steinbrenner said.
    Right, it's too bad we don't have more forward-thinking people in baseball like Little Stein.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    Tom Browning tore up his knee sliding into home plate and he was never the same.
    It's part of the game.

Might as well put an "L" screen up in front of them and mandate that they can't field bunts, cover first, or back up bases. Just stay in the circle.

In interleague play," Gaston says, "use the DH. Otherwise, forget it."
    Best idea yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    It's part of the game.
    I would have rather had Tom Browning NOT run the bases and NOTtear up his knee and continue to be a productive pitcher all throughout the 1990s.

Turn Off Ads?