Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: US Open 2009

US Open 2009

Any one watching the Open right now? I liked seeing David Duval play well this morning, going kinda rough for him right now. It's been pretty enjoyable overall, except for the fact that Chris Berman is covering it. If he says "happy hour" one more time it may be enough to get me to switch over the Reds' game.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: US Open 2009

ESPN should never come within 50 miles of a golf course. They cover golf like they do every other sport. They just don't get it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I just appreciate coverage on Thursday and Friday. I would not care if it were TLC covering it. Who has it on the Weekend? NBC?
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    ESPN should never come within 50 miles of a golf course. They cover golf like they do every other sport. They just don't get it.
    This morning's been brutal.

I love Scott Van Pelt, can't stand Andy North, but as a whole can we just watch golf, rather than a couple shots here and there followed by 15 mins of babble, then back to a couple golf shots, then more babble?

Just show the players!

Ya' know, I have distinct memories of really enjoying listening to Johnny Miller cover golf years ago. I could just be misremembering because I can't stand the guy these days. Is this the same guy? He hasn't always been like this, has he? Maybe he's just gone all Marty Brenneman and become generally grump in his older age.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I think its' the same thing as Marty, he's become known for his "honest" (meaning nasty) commentary, so he starts saying more and more nasty things, and gets more and more commentary on how he's "honest."

This US Open has been horrible so far thanks to the weather. I know you can't control mother nature, but she's ruined this tournament. I'm disappointed. More rain today too.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Great to see Kentuckian J.B. Holmes in the top 25 and with a Top 15 finish in reach, especially after his missing five or six cuts in a row.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

newsday.com/sports/golf/usopen/ny-libeer2112902396jun20,0,3839123.story
    Newsday.com
    U.S. Open fans heckle Tiger Woods

BY JENNIFER SINCO KELLEHER AND PATRICK WHITTLE

jennifer.kelleher@newsday.com and patrick.whittle@newsday.com

11:13 PM EDT, June 20, 2009
    Click here to find out more!

Beer-sodden fans and rain combined for an ugly finish to a long day of golf yesterday, with Tiger Woods and other golfers subjected to drunken heckling as the action at Bethpage Black came to a close.

At 6:42 p.m., dozens of drunken spectators at Hole 10 taunted Woods as he prepared to start his third round in the rain.

"We're on Long Island, baby, where men are men!" one fan yelled. "Put that umbrella down!"

The taunts were mixed with cheers from the majority of the crowd.

Woods did not respond to the people who were heckling him but tried to quiet the crowd with a "sshh" hand gesture, putting his finger to his lips, as golfers prepared to tee off on the adjacent 12th tee.

"Suck it up, you've got your own video game!" someone shouted at Woods.

>>Latest photos of Tiger Woods at the U.S. Open

>> Photos of fans -- and celebrities -- at the U.S. Open

Some fans, apparently disgusted by the hecklers' behavior, walked away from the hole. Others told the vocal contingent to quiet down, which had no effect on the verbal abuse.

Minutes later, a group of fans greeted Fred Funk at the 10th hole by shouting his last name as an obscenity.

A little earlier, drunken fans at the seventh hole shouted at golfers, "This Bud's for you!" On the ninth fairway, drunks called out "you suck" to players while spectators on the other side booed the hecklers.

Concession stands scattered across the course - including the one near the 10th hole - don't start selling beer until 11 a.m., yet a line already had formed in front of the taps between the 16th and 17th holes well before that. But the late- morning scene was peaceful, giving little indication of what would happen later elsewhere on the course.

Many beer-drinkers Saturday at Bethpage Black were there simply to enjoy the scene.

John O'Shea, John McQue and Cronan Ryan sat on a hillside overlooking Hole 17, leaning back on their elbows and taking slow sips of Budweiser.

"We just had to rest a while to get some beer in us," said O'Shea, 22, of Manhattan.

"We just needed to relax," added McQue, 28, of Sunnyside.

- With staff writer Neil Best

Golf hooligans.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    This US Open has been horrible so far thanks to the weather. I know you can't control mother nature, but she's ruined this tournament. I'm disappointed. More rain today too.
    Had the exact same thought today. This is very disappointing and doesn't at all feel like a major.

And how stupid is golf rules that a player hits a perfect shot down the middle of the fairway and it plugs in the fairway and they have to hit it that way? That makes about as much sense as the ones for signing an incorrect scorecard. The USGA needs a major overhaul of its rulebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I think its' the same thing as Marty, he's become known for his "honest" (meaning nasty) commentary, so he starts saying more and more nasty things, and gets more and more commentary on how he's "honest."
    The thing that kills me about golf commentary is the hyperbole. Most people who watch golf are well aware that it's a tough game mentally and physically. I don't need to be reminded that Lucas Glover is nervous every four minutes. Furthermore, I hate this "the most important/stressful day of his life" garbage. What if one of these dudes went through a cancer scare, or nearly lost a child?

It's the Curse of Costas, everyone convincing themselves that a dumb game is way more significant than it actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    The thing that kills me about golf commentary is the hyperbole. Most people who watch golf are well aware that it's a tough game mentally and physically. I don't need to be reminded that Lucas Glover is nervous every four minutes. Furthermore, I hate this "the most important/stressful day of his life" garbage. What if one of these dudes went through a cancer scare, or nearly lost a child?

It's the Curse of Costas, everyone convincing themselves that a dumb game is way more significant than it actually is.
    These are the same guys who "idolized" Mickey Mantle and call ballparks cathedrals.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    And how stupid is golf rules that a player hits a perfect shot down the middle of the fairway and it plugs in the fairway and they have to hit it that way? That makes about as much sense as the ones for signing an incorrect scorecard. The USGA needs a major overhaul of its rulebook.
    They actually don't play the ball from plugged lies. They get a free drop as near as possible to the plug. It actually is a bonus if your ball plugged because you get to clean it before dropping.

Mudballs are the biggest problem. It's impossible to control the ball when mud is on it. In fact, when a decent amount of mud is on your ball there's almost no chance you can hit the green. Mudballs are very unfair, IMO. You should never get penalized for driving the ball in the fairway.

Back to the tourney. This is one of the weirdest I've ever seen. It's just hard to fathom a bigger disaster. It actually would've been better if it kept raining and pushed the tourney back a week.

I'm not sure who's going to win, but it isn't going to be Ricky "Bobby" Barnes. After his second consecutive "snapper" I don't see it happening. Lucas has a nice lead over the rest of the crew so it's his to lose at this point. Anything around par will give him the championship.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I put money on Ross Fisher & Hunter Mahon early yesterday so I may put half day holiday in at work to watch it. (2pm start BST)

Ricky Barnes is already faltering. He'll be lucky to make bogey on the 2nd. If Lucas follows suit, this tournament could be very interesting. If the winning score is around 3-4 under it'll be very close with a good probability of a playoff. As of right now, it Lucas Glover's tournament to lose.

Turn Off Ads?