Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heads Up Leake Pitching 6/19 in CWS. Apparently healthy.

Re: Heads Up Leake Pitching 6/19 in CWS. Apparently healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Tendinitis doesn't bother me too much. But anytime a pitcher isn't 100% there's always a risk that it could potentially result in a more serious injury if he keeps pitching. THAT'S my concern.

Agree, but I think the kind of thing we're seeing with Leake is commonplace in college baseball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    not the same injury, do some research
    What are you talking about? The point is Buck's coach ran him into the ground, and probably cost him millions of dollars, and quite possibly his major league career. The coach is in a position of power, he has to be the adult, not the firebrand.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Hopefully he's shut down for awhile.

He's shut down til the Reds say so now...assuming he signs

Why sign him? Let him go, take the 8th pick next season in what should be a better draft, and take a flier in the INT. market this season.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Why sign him? Let him go, take the 8th pick next season in what should be a better draft, and take a flier in the INT. market this season.
    Why sign him? because of tendinitis that was so bad that he pitched 6 innings of 2 run ball with 7 K's?

I'm sure the Reds will take all the precautions necessary to make sure he is healthy before signing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Az. Reds Fan View Post
    Why sign him? because of tendinitis that was so bad that he pitched 6 innings of 2 run ball with 7 K's?

I'm sure the Reds will take all the precautions necessary to make sure he is healthy before signing him.
    Yeah, they may also get a better deal now as well.

MLB Mock Draft
    2009:
    2. Dustin Ackley 27. Tyler Skaggs 33. Kyle Heckathorn 51. Nick Franklin 82. Billy Bullock

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Agree, but I think the kind of thing we're seeing with Leake is commonplace in college baseball.
    Agreed. The coaches are paid to win and the fans of the college teams also want to see success. As major league fans it is sometimes difficult to understand the college game where the attachment is more to the program than to the individual players who will only be there a few years. If the kid wants to risk his arm and he is your best shot at winning it is certainly understandable.

If I was an Arizona St fan I would want Leake out there pitching in my teams biggest game. Even if he wasn't 100%.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

The Reds will sign Leake. They are not going to punt the No. 8 overall pick when one of the reasons they took Leake was signability. His "injury" (and it doesn't look like much of one) will make it that much easier for the Reds to sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    Yeah, they may also get a better deal now as well.
    If this affected when he could start in the Reds system or his long term future than I'd agree. But if it's still nothing serious then I doubt it would have much, if any, effect on contract negotiations.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    If I was an Arizona St fan I would want Leake out there pitching in my teams biggest game. Even if he wasn't 100%.
    Yeah and if I was an ASU fan I probably would too. But I'm a fan of the team that just drafted him in the 1st round. I bet the Reds brass were paying attention to how he did. What's best for the college team isn't always best for the major league team (or the pitcher).

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    The Reds will sign Leake. They are not going to punt the No. 8 overall pick when one of the reasons they took Leake was signability. His "injury" (and it doesn't look like much of one) will make it that much easier for the Reds to sign him.
    I don't think the Reds took Leake for signability reasons. Heck, I can't think of anyone who thinks that other than yourself. Simply not drafting Aaron Crow doesn't mean they took someone for monetary issues.

Frankly the more I see of Leake the more surprised I am he lasted to us in the draft. He's got a lot of movement and a really good idea how to pitch. I thought what he did last night was very impressive because you could see he was working with only a fraction of his arsenal, most specifically without his good sharp breaking curve ball. Unless the injury is very much worse than it's being described, I don't think there's a doubt we'll sign him and I think we'll be a whole lot happier with him than what we might wait a year to get.

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    I would imagine some clubs might think of doing this in the future or have done so already in the past. It makes sense if you are a little devious, in that 09 was a weak draft 2010 is shaping up to be stronger punt the pick and have two high ones for 2010. Does Mlb have any safeguards against clubs doing this?
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Off the top of my head if a team doesn't sign a player then you get an extra pick the following year. But when you use that pick in the 2nd year if you don't sign the player you don't get "reimbursed" again. The Nationals couldn't sign Aaron Crow last year so they received an extra high pick this year. Although it wasn't considered a strong draft this year they didn't have any choice. If they didn't sign the player they took with the extra pick this year they wouldn't be "reimbursed" with another pick next year.

I watched Mike Leake pitch on Friday night, in person.
    He's going to be fine methinks.

I was in the stands up and past 3B, so I had a pretty good view of his pitches to the plate - although not so great East-West on the plate obviously.

Whatever pitch he makes where the guys are done swinging and then the ball comes in low and/or bounces off the plate is a great one. I'm guessing it was his change.

His fastball had plenty of pop in it and he must have been spotting it great because there were a lot of called strikes.

He looked great from the stretch.

That one homerun to LF is an easy fly ball, and those two stingers past 3rd base would have been easy ground balls. Other than that, he really didn't give up many "real" MLB hits.

Just my observations.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Turn Off Ads?