Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonzo to the DL

Gonzo to the DL

per Fay via Twitter:

"Willin Castillo is here. My guess is Gonzalez is on the DL with the sore elbow."

Update:

"Shortstop Alex Gonzalez was put on the disabled list with an elbow problem. He has four loose bodies floating in the area. He'll have surgery. They're hoping he'll be back in four weeks. He hurt on a swing in the final game with the Braves.

Wilkin Castillo and Danny Richar are being added to the roster. A couple of more moves are coming. Richar has to be added to 40-man. The moves won't be announced until the tell the players affected."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gonzo to the DL

I wonder what the 2nd move is.

Is this technically addition by subtraction? I hate to see someone get hurt, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this improves the lineup.

It at least improves the 25 man roster. Sad to say it but its probably true. One problem is that now Hairston is going to be playing way too much shortstop for the next month.

Honestly, this is best for the team. Hate to see someone hurt, but Gonzo and Taveras are killing this team.

Well Richar was brought up to be the extra infielder replacing Gonzalez......I have no idea who Castillo could be here for...considering he can play so many positions. Maybe WT to the DL for the hamstring? I have no idea.

Edit: Just saw Willy is in the lineup for tonight, as is Rosales and Gomes. That leaves Janish, Dickerson, Nix, or another pitcher.
    Last edited by REDSEER; 06-20-2009 at 04:43 PM.
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I'd rather have Harriston at SS than Janish. Janish's glove does not make up for his pathetic bat.

I'm upset about this. Gonzo has been swinging the bat much better as of late - by his standards, anyway. He's definitely not a #2 hitter but that's The Dusty's fault. This does not improve this team by any means...although I am interested to see what the remaining moves are.

Adding Wilkin Castillo to a team that is struggling to hit is like throwing 50 pound dumbbells to a guy who is drowning.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

i think the plausible move is to see what danny richar can do at SS, he has been swinging a good bat in the minors let's see if he can carry it to the big leagues

Batting .214 with a .256 OBP is horrendous. What's funny is though he had a little bit of a hot streak about a week ago where he had like 7 hits in 5 games, and got his average up to .226 - his highest ALL year. But since he went 3 for 23, and has batted for a .193 and .242 OBP clip for June.

This is his last year on contract isn't it? This may be the last we see of Alex Gonzalez, if he's out 4 weeks that brings us to probably near August when he can return, and if we're getting good production from Janish/Hairston, and Encarnacion comes back and doing well, why exactly do we need this guy on the roster? Just release the guy, let him and the Reds organization move on.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I'd rather have Harriston at SS than Janish. Janish's glove does not make up for his pathetic bat.

I'm upset about this. Gonzo has been swinging the bat much better as of late - by his standards, anyway. He's definitely not a #2 hitter but that's The Dusty's fault. This does not improve this team by any means...although I am interested to see what the remaining moves are.

Adding Wilkin Castillo to a team that is struggling to hit is like throwing 50 pound dumbbells to a guy who is drowning.
    Gonzo was hitting .194/.242/.246 for and OPS of .488 in June. He was also 3 for his last 26 PA with 2 walks.

I guess we will just have to disagree on what swinging better as of late means.

Rosales is in the line up today so its not him being demoted.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Gonzo was hitting .194/.242/.246 for and OPS of .488 in June. He was also 3 for his last 26 PA with 2 walks.

I guess we will just have to disagree on what swinging better as of late means.
    But the month before he was swinging a good bat. Let's face it - for this team, a .200 batting average is awesome. I don't see Janish outproducing him offensively and Harriston does not have the glove either of them have.

I said before that Gonzo is not a #2 hitter. That's Dustification. But this injury does not help this team at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Rosales is in the line up today so its not him being demoted.
    I like the heck out of Rosales. I love his passion and intensity. He's never going to be an every-day player but he's a useful bench guy - versatile, decent glove, can hit a little. I didn't want him to be sent down.

But the month before he was swinging a good bat. Let's face it - for this team, a .200 batting average is awesome. I don't see Janish outproducing him offensively and Harriston does not have the glove either of them have.

I said before that Gonzo is not a #2 hitter. That's Dustification. But this injury does not help this team at all.
    So by as of late you mean a month ago, and by a good bat you mean .254/.296/.373/.669 line. I guess ill give you that thats a good line for him considering how bad he normally is.

.254 AVG and .296 OBP is awesome? Really, the guy just can't hit, for this team, for any team. His batting average as it is now is not some slump anomaly - its what he bats. I don't see the harm in starting a young player and letting them get AB's and see what happens over time. They really can't do any worse.

Also, its a sad commentary on how things are run if it takes an injury to finally force a move.

Turn Off Ads?