Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When can we expect to see Yorman Rodriguesz and Juan Duran?

When can we expect to see Yorman Rodriguesz and Juan Duran?

Just wondering when we can expect to see either/both for the first time in the Reds system in action?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: When can we expect to see Yorman Rodriguesz and Juan Duran?

They will both be in the GCL, which starts June 23, I believe.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

yorman compares alot to carlos beltran but with more power and juan duran is being compared to vladimir guerrero because of his great power potential and also his ability to hit terrible pitches a very long way

Those are pretty lofty and optimistic projections and I'd be ecstatic if those two reached that type of status. But since they're so young and raw and haven't played any pro games yet I'll be more interested in comparisons later. I'll be happy if they can be above average outfielders for us in four years.

Those comparisons are almost unrealistic in the sense that if it ever seemed likely that either of them reached that point, they would've been signed for a lot more. However, that's not to say that neither of them will have success at some point at the Major League level. I'm a fan of both of them, but they definitely have a long ways to go. At the soonest, I think it'll be 2012 before we see either of them even having a chance of playing with the Reds, let alone being a productive fixture with the club.

Those names are just ideas of what they can be. I wouldnt read too much into it obviously but dropping the names sure makes it easier for people to understand what type of talent the guys have.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by travisgrimes View Post
    yorman compares alot to carlos beltran but with more power and juan duran is being compared to vladimir guerrero because of his great power potential and also his ability to hit terrible pitches a very long way
    Not to completely exaggerate or anything. ;-)

Sorry, these "player comparisons" are a joke. If either of these guys come anywhere close to as good as Beltran and Vlad (the Vlad of old, not the roidless Vlad of this season) Reds fans like us will be dancing in the street.

Or at least happy in front of our TVs if you aren't into dancing.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Not to completely exaggerate or anything. ;-)

Sorry, these "player comparisons" are a joke. If either of these guys come anywhere close to as good as Beltran and Vlad (the Vlad of old, not the roidless Vlad of this season) Reds fans like us will be dancing in the street.

Or at least happy in front of our TVs if you aren't into dancing.
    With guys this young comparisons are mostly about potential skills. Those are the types of skills that those two could possess one day based upon their tools they currently have.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

And I know you weren't saying they were definitely going to be as good as those guys, you were just giving examples. But, IMO, instead of saying "Yorman compares a lot to Beltran except with more power" you might want to temper that with "He projects to have similar skills if everything goes right, but obviously that's a best-case scenario and he has a long way to go." Because a Beltran with more power would be the best player in baseball, or at least on the very short list of the game's best. He already has plenty of power and hits well overall (and plays good D).

Ben (Miamisburg, OH)
    The Reds made a big splash in the international free agent market last year by signing Yorman Rodriquez for $2.55 million and Juan Duran for $2 million. After extended spring training, the Reds appear to be ready to start both of them in the GCL this year despite being only 16 and 17 respectively until the latter part of the season. Are the Reds moving too fast or do these kids have that much talent that they can compete professionally at an age where they would be juniors in high school if they were American? Any rumors on the Reds in this years international market?

Ben Badler
    I do think they are going to be overmatched, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the wrong move to place them in the GCL. They're both raw, but having them find out that they're going to have to make a lot of adjustments to be able to hit even the lowest levels of pitching in pro ball isn't such a bad thing.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/27138

Yorman having a good game so far today. The GCL box score is getting updated. Two hits, a stolen base, and an outfield assist for him today.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...g_log&did=milb

*Yawn*
    Rodriguez with another single and stolen base.

I think one of the biggest things is the Kids are 16 and 17 years old right now, but how many kids at 16 and 17 are receiving the coaching and the amount of game time those two are. They did spring training, extended spring training, now GCL, then its instructional ball, and both will go play winter ball. Put it together and it's over 150 games a year, through in the coaching and they will be two years ahead of where almost all American kids are come next spring when they would normally just be graduating high school.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    I think one of the biggest things is the Kids are 16 and 17 years old right now, but how many kids at 16 and 17 are receiving the coaching and the amount of game time those two are. They did spring training, extended spring training, now GCL, then its instructional ball, and both will go play winter ball. Put it together and it's over 150 games a year, through in the coaching and they will be two years ahead of where almost all American kids are come next spring when they would normally just be graduating high school.
    At the same time most American kids were brought up with much better nutrition and weight training than these kids had and well, much better baseball training for the most part (at least for the elite 12-15 year olds) than these kids did. In the end, I think things tend to even out in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    At the same time most American kids were brought up with much better nutrition and weight training than these kids had and well, much better baseball training for the most part (at least for the elite 12-15 year olds) than these kids did. In the end, I think things tend to even out in the long run.
    The weight training is a non-issue. If you don't start doing serious weightlifting programs until you turn 16, you're not at a serious disadvantage. (I'm looking to set the record for double-negatives!)
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?