Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When can we expect to see Yorman Rodriguesz and Juan Duran?

Re: When can we expect to see Yorman Rodriguesz and Juan Duran?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    The weight training is a non-issue. If you don't start doing serious weightlifting programs until you turn 16, you're not at a serious disadvantage. (I'm looking to set the record for double-negatives!)
    I am going to disagree some. Kids in todays athletics can start nutrition regiments and weigh training at age 14 and have a significant advantage over guys who didn't by the time they are 16.

2. Turn Off Ads?

3. Yorman Rodriguez, cf, Reds ($2.5 million): Rodriguez is the youngest player in the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League, where he will play nearly the entire season at age 16. Rodriguez, one of the best athletes available last year with plus-plus speed, is off to a 1-for-8 start with five strikeouts.

Reds outfielder Juan Duran and Braves catcher Christian Bethancourt already debuted last year in the DSL after signing earlier in the year. They are both in the GCL, though Duran has been limited to DH duties after returning from knee surgery during spring training.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=5100
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am going to disagree some. Kids in todays athletics can start nutrition regiments and weigh training at age 14 and have a significant advantage over guys who didn't by the time they are 16.
    I'm no doctor, but while the american 16 year might be ahead, most men don't hit their peak growth spurt (in terms of gaining muscle mass) until the 16-18+ year old range. He could well be behind most american top level prospects, but it will be quickly evened out in relation to ability and work put in by the time they're out of Dayton.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    At the same time most American kids were brought up with much better nutrition and weight training than these kids had and well, much better baseball training for the most part (at least for the elite 12-15 year olds) than these kids did. In the end, I think things tend to even out in the long run.
    Nutrition wise....

Might have an argument there with all the hamburgers and fries kids eat these days. But I know what you mean..

Yea, the American kids 12-15 do get better training, and nutrition if they take it then. My argument is based upon the European soccer club theory. Almost all the great players in soccer these days come out of the European academies, where the kids enter at 16 or a little earlier and live breath and eat soccer 365 days a year. I am hoping it pays off for our two guys.
    Last edited by bellhead; 06-26-2009 at 04:15 PM.

Turn Off Ads?