Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Video of Baileys splitter

Video of Baileys splitter

sorry if this has been posted . this shows bailey striking out 2 guys the last pitch he throws is the splitter and wow does it look nasty

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...e=v_free&_mp=1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Video of Baileys splitter

Moeller is easy to K.

Though it does look wicked.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Looked like a curve to me. If that's a split, it is indeed nasty.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

I'm not sure whether a splitter was thrown or not, but his curve and slider looked really good, frankly the best I have seen him throw them. They had very tight spin to them, with tremendous late break and pretty good command

I'm starting to wonder whether this pitch is ultimately going to be what turns Bailey into a RP down the line. As a shutdown closer, the splitter could really serve him well. And as a RP, his workload could be limited to fewer innings per year. Might help him stay healthy, no?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

It did indeed look like it was maybe the splitter on that last pitch. If you compare that to the big hook he threw to the first batter it has a lot later break on it and he didnt start it nearly as high.

Might help him stay healthy, no?
    He's been durable so far in his career. A move to the bullpen right now would be very bad IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    He's been durable so far in his career. A move to the bullpen right now would be very bad IMO
    I guess I was just responding to what folks were talking about in the other thread on Bailey's splitter--that it might be bad for his arm health long term, but it might give him short-term success.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

It did indeed look like it was maybe the splitter on that last pitch. If you compare that to the big hook he threw to the first batter it has a lot later break on it and he didnt start it nearly as high.
    Agreed -- the last pitch was the splitter. Looked filthy to me.

That certainly does look filthy; it's really great to see Homer improving at this point when he's been up and down a few times. It's nice to see he's still working hard.

The fact that he's using a splitter really excites me. It's a hard pitch to master, but starting pitchers who have a dominant splitter are usually great. Hope it works out for Homer.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I guess I was just responding to what folks were talking about in the other thread on Bailey's splitter--that it might be bad for his arm health long term, but it might give him short-term success.
    Clemens had a splitter and it was nasty. IIRC he taught some of his other teammates how to throw that pitch but I can't remember who. Doesn't Smoltz also have a nasty splitter. He has spent some time on the DL but has been a great pitcher into his 40's.

If Bailey can control his fastball and possess a nasty splitter then this may put him over the top. I really wouldn't worry too much about an arm injury with Bailey. He has shown to be pretty healthy so far in his career and most pitchers who undergo Tommy John surgery come back stronger and have more velocity on their ball. It is a minor setback for the team, but it may end up being a good thing for the given pitcher.

Ted Power was on Ken Broo's show on Saturday discussing Bailey. He seems to be unconcerned about the splitter from an injury perspective. He said that Bailey doesn't throw it all that much. It is just another pitch in his arsenal. Said that the injury concern comes when a pitcher throws the splitter several times an at bat (I'm paraphrasing a little). He also said that Bailey's mechanics with the splitter are solid.

Also, Bucksfan3, when discussing other starting pitchers that throw a splitter Curt Shilling comes to mind.

Turn Off Ads?