Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Votto says he's ready

Votto says he's ready

DAYTON, Ohio – The Reds’ offensive woes could ease this week, if Joey Votto has his way. Votto has been on the disabled list since May 29, with what the club termed “stress-related’’ issues. But after a two-game, weekend stint with the Class A Dayton Dragons, the first baseman said Sunday he was ready to return to the big-league club, perhaps as early as Tuesday in Toronto.

“I felt great out there,’’ said Votto. In two games with the Dragons, Votto had three hits, a home run and three RBI. More importantly, Votto said, was being able to play consecutive, nine-inning games without having to leave the game.

“It had been such a struggle, getting through games,’’ he said. “Getting through nine was a top priority.’’

Votto said he would speak with Reds trainer Mark Mann Sunday night, and also with manager Dusty Baker and GM Walt Jocketty. “We’ll have a little conversation and come to a conclusion what I need to do next,’’ said Votto.

“They know what I’ve been going through. They would be able to say, ‘Are you ready to go?’ My answer would be yes.’’

The Reds were 26-20 when Votto went on the disabled list on May 29. They’ve gone 8-14 since. Despite missing the last 22 games, Votto still ranks third on the club in homers and RBI.
    Can't get here quick enough for my tastes.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Worth The Wait

Re: Votto says he's ready

Team could really use an infusion right now and Votto is the only realistic person that can provide it. Critical part of the schedule ahead of us if we have any designs on staying in the hunt. If Joey says he's ready, I see no reason to not activate him Tuesday.

It completely makes sense with the trip to Votto's hometown looming on Tuesday. Plus it will on the road and away from the home crowds still confused over what the problem is. Votto won't be the cure all to this lame offense, but it's a great start to making this offense somewhat competitive again.
    VBR IS LIVING IN CINCINNATI...I FEEL GOOD!

Joey Votto is this team's only chance of winning any games in Toronto. Otherwise it could be ugly.

I think they just wanted to see how he would react to an entire game. Looks like he's over this hurdle and try out a real MLB level game.

Good luck Joey...

Get him to Toronto.
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

If anyone would know it would be Joey. I commend this organization for the way they handled his personal situation.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

The winning restarts Tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    If anyone would know it would be Joey. I commend this organization for the way they handled his personal situation.
    Agreed. I also think that Joey does/will appreciate it as well. I would think that this would also bode well for when it comes to possibly re-signing him, too.

That said, I do hope when he comes back to the big club, he comes back to stay. I would much rather him take a few extra days to make sure than to rush things and for the team to lose him again. He's too important a cog to not have. But if the man says he's ready, I believe him. Go Joey and go Reds!

DAYTON — With a big smile and a happy demeanor, Reds first baseman Joey Votto — Dragons first baseman for a pair of days — said he felt good, and “it felt like I wasn’t distracted with what I was distracted with before.”

He didn’t say what was distracting him before, but he did collect an RBI hit, a walk and scored a run in the Dragons’ 7-6 victory over West Michigan in front of 9,019 at Fifth Third Field on Sunday, June 21, and said he would complete his day by speaking with Reds General Manager Walt Jocketty and manager Dusty Baker before deciding on his next step.

Votto did mention the Class AAA Louisville Bats were playing tonight, but he also knew the Reds are in his hometown of Toronto for a series that begins Tuesday.

“I felt great out there,” said Votto, who spoke with fans behind the plate every time he went to the on-deck circle. “I’ve never had anything but support in Cincinnati or here, and I was in such a good mood today. But I have to talk to Walt and Dusty to see what they want to do.”

Asked what he would say if Jocketty and Baker wanted his opinion on whether he could play right now for the Reds, Votto was emphatic.

“My answer would be, ‘Yeah,’ ” Votto said.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...ns-172200.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Oh I REALLY hope he's back in time for the Cleveland series since I'll be there next weekend but I'm just happy to hear that he's feeling good again. Go Joey!!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I could care less about what the "problem" with him was. It's his business. Bottom line is when is he back cuz the sooner he's back the better.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

“My answer would be, ‘Yeah,’ ” Votto said.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...ns-172200.html
    Good enough for me. Bat him 3rd on Tuesday Dusty.

Seriously, may this be the end of Votto's recent troubles.

This is the PERFECT time to "ease" him back into the 9 inning routine. Off day Monday and AL parks til Sunday? Hel-lo?!

Rotate first and DH each day. It's the perfect recipe!

Then another off day next Monday, before starting the real grind - 13 games in 13 days leading into the All Star game. Sounds like a pretty good and conservative regimen.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I could care less about what the "problem" with him was. It's his business. Bottom line is when is he back cuz the sooner he's back the better.
    It is his business. However, is it fair to say, that it is our business to know whether or not this issue is one that is now over, or whether it is one likely to flare up again at some future date? I get the whole privacy thing and respect that...but in the words of the great Dr. Evil, "Throw me a fricken bone here", thats all. I don't need details, just alittle insight.

Turn Off Ads?