DAYTON, Ohio – The Reds’ offensive woes could ease this week, if Joey Votto has his way. Votto has been on the disabled list since May 29, with what the club termed “stress-related’’ issues. But after a two-game, weekend stint with the Class A Dayton Dragons, the first baseman said Sunday he was ready to return to the big-league club, perhaps as early as Tuesday in Toronto.
“I felt great out there,’’ said Votto. In two games with the Dragons, Votto had three hits, a home run and three RBI. More importantly, Votto said, was being able to play consecutive, nine-inning games without having to leave the game.
“It had been such a struggle, getting through games,’’ he said. “Getting through nine was a top priority.’’
Votto said he would speak with Reds trainer Mark Mann Sunday night, and also with manager Dusty Baker and GM Walt Jocketty. “We’ll have a little conversation and come to a conclusion what I need to do next,’’ said Votto.
“They know what I’ve been going through. They would be able to say, ‘Are you ready to go?’ My answer would be yes.’’
The Reds were 26-20 when Votto went on the disabled list on May 29. They’ve gone 8-14 since. Despite missing the last 22 games, Votto still ranks third on the club in homers and RBI.