Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do about Rosales

What to do about Rosales

I spoke it on the game thread after Saturday nights game, after Rosales K'd to end the game, and I'll say it again.

I don't feel Adam Rosales is a major league caliber player at this point in his career. He is batting 4 for his last 46, and moreso, he just doesn't pass the "naked eye" test. I can't remember more than a few hard hit balls of his over the past month. On the contrary, I'll commend him for his glovework for the most part.

I know, the Reds don't have many better options ...but surely they can do better right now. He had a hot bat to start the year, and earned the callup...but he obviously doesn't have what it takes to stick.

Could Todd Frazier go back to playing 3B in a hurry?...if he could, I'd seriously weigh out making room on the 40 man (oh the possibilities ) for him and bring him up to the bigs right now. Anyone have other ideas...am I the only one fed up with Rosales? Do we just have to grit our teeth and wait for the return of EE?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What to do about Rosales

I think ARoz should concentrate less on his antics and concentrate more on on baseball and more on the salary difference between MLB and AAA.

Rosales is best as a utility player/spot starter. He's an example of how when a player that shouldn't be a starter is thrust into a starting role for an extended time the warts will show up after awhile. Hopefully EE will be back soon. With both EE and Voto back after the all-star break anything is possible. But those first couple weeks after the break will be very important to decide if we'll be sellers or buyers.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

I know I for one dread seeing him up with men on. He seems to get too excited and almost seems to want to get himself out. He deserved the callup but not sure he has shown he really belongs up.

He needs to go back to AAA when EE gets back. I don't think he's any good, but I also don't think he's THIS bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

He should be batting 9th in the order, not 8th. And he certainly should NEVER be batting 8th over Micah Owings

Senor Votto

Send him down bring up Sutton

Seems all that crazy running did nothing to close the talent gap.

The kid is who he is. He's a talented athlete who just doesn't have enough horsepower to play in the bigs every day. He's got a big arm, but his bat and fielding skills aren't offset by it. The reality has always been this kid is proving himself to be a 25th man who is best suited for a fill-in, late inning replacement role.

I like Adam, but he's not very good.

The first time I saw him I was surprised how weak his batting stance is. He looks very similar to Denorfia at the plate. I think Denorfia's batting stance is terrible too. I'm a big proponent for good batting stances, maybe because I'm a golf instructor, and I believe Rosales will need to make some changes with his hitting to be a successful major league player.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I've been saying this for awhile, Rosales has played himself off this team.

Give Sutton a chance.

He is what he is, but he isn't. Right now Rosales isn't ready to play in the bigs for an entire season. His defense has been good and his versatility is a bonus, but he isn't ready at the plate. He needs some time to work on things at the AAA level. Just because you are hitting AAA pitching well doesn't mean it will translate to the MLB level.

Rosales highlights a problem with the Reds minor league system right now. They just don't have a corner infield bat ready at the AAA level. Frazier and Alonso are the two that are the closest but their time line looks at best to be 2010. Rosales impact been exacerbated because of both Votto and Encarnacion spending extended time on the DL. If just one had been out then Rosales wouldn't have to see the field as much as he does.

I agree with all the statements about Rosales, my fear, however, is that if he is eventually sent down when EE comes back that there will be an outcry for Rosales because of the Pete Rose sentiment. The same issue with Freel, etc...
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

I agree with the he's not this bad sentiment. I also firmly believe he's not as good as that line he posted in Louisville prior to being called up. I think he COULD be an .800 OPS guy as a utility type player.

But he needs to go back to Louisville and find what he is missing there. Sutton up until EE is ready is fine by me, IF Sutton can play 3B. If BP goes on the DL as has been rumored, your infield is Votto, Sutton, Janish, Hairston. wowee is that bad.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

His cup of coffee turned into a carafe.

He does need to go back down to AAA and get his confidence back. He'll be better next time up, which hopefully is September, since we'll stay healthy between now and then.

I remain surprised that Janish hasn't been given a better chance to try to utility role if Hairston becomes your AGon replacement. Better still, move Hairston to third, give Janish a shot at short for awhile (pitching and defense, right?) and call up someone who can make a difference with a late inning at-bat.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Did anyone think Ray Knight...after his 77-78 seasons as the backup INF would hit at all? His batting stance was stiff....he had no power to speak of....yet he turned out to hit better than expected.

I make the same comp just to say that it's still possible for this guy to be better than he has looked with some tweaks and some time.

Turn Off Ads?