Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Arroyo Being Shopped????

Arroyo Being Shopped????

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...slumps/?page=4

Via Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe

2. Bronson Arroyo, RHP, Reds: One of the hot rumors among the scouting community is that the Reds are dangling one of their veteran pitchers in an effort to get younger and reduce payroll. Arroyo, whose name has come up in the past, is earning $9.5 million this season as part of a two-year, $25 million deal. He will earn $11 million next season and has a $2 million buyout on an $11 million option in 2011. With starting pitching hard to find, the Reds could get a decent return.
    MLBTR suggests it could also be Harang.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/0...d-ends--1.html

I think this started when Bailey learned his new pitch.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Re: Arroyo Being Shopped????

This trade almost has to happen. He is eminently replaceable and a huge hindrance considering the payroll freeze (which is unlikely to thaw in the next several seasons).

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

No news there. Anyone looking at the Reds would see that as the most likely place to deal with them.

With Brad Penny as "the big name pitcher available" the market should be strong for Arroyo from a number of teams. With Dice-K to the DL long term there is no hurry for Penny to be moved either. the

It's true that we've known that those two (Arroyo/Harang) were the most marketable. I wonder if there was a team we could match up with that needs a starting pitcher but has a decent offensive player they could swap that could help us this season.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Man Pills

I can't imagine a deal involving Arroyo being anything but a salary dump. I have no problem with that.

So, any suggestions as to where to send him?
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    It's true that we've known that those two (Arroyo/Harang) were the most marketable. I wonder if there was a team we could match up with that needs a starting pitcher but has a decent offensive player they could swap that could help us this season.
    His name is Alex Rios.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    So, any suggestions as to where to send him?
    Toronto? The injury bug has hit their rotation.

It will likely be tough to trade Arroyo if a significant part of the return is legit talent.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Toronto? The injury bug has hit their rotation.
    Understatement of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It will likely be tough to trade Arroyo if a significant part of the return is legit talent.
    Not if you package him right. My preference wouldn't be trading Arroyo alone, but a multi-player deal involving ours/theirs prospects as well.

My thought is that possbile suitors would include the Phillies, Rangers and anyone who had spent the time to look at Pedro.
    Last edited by klw; 06-22-2009 at 01:52 PM.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Possbile suitors would include the Phillies, Rangers and anyone who had spent the time to look at Pedro.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I can't imagine a deal involving Arroyo being anything but a salary dump. I have no problem with that.
    Not in this market. For once the Reds are actually on the right side of the market with this one. Jarrod Washburn is the only pitcher available at the moment who might be more desirable than Arroyo and even that could be debated.

The Reds should get a good return on Arroyo, especially if he can string together a few decent outings over the next month and guys like Peavy and Bedard stay on the shelf.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?