Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The League: Is Ocho Cinco good for the NFL?

The League: Is Ocho Cinco good for the NFL?

A series of articles from the Washing ton Post.

http://views.washingtonpost.com/thel...ction/all.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The League: Is Ocho Cinco good for the NLF

I think he's neither good nor bad for the league. Overall, I think he's pretty irrelevant to the popularity of the league.
    If he's not the one, they'll find someone else.

He's just a willing participant who lets himself be used by every media person available to reinforce perceptions(mainly negative) about him.

Like or hate his act we can at least say he doesn't get in trouble off the field like some of these guys in the NFL do.

This is just my personal opinion, but I don't believe he's good for the league. However, I don't believe he's as bad as those players that appear in more mug shots than team photos. I'm not saying that he shouldn't play, but just that he doesn't do anything to build up the NFL.

Personally, I'm not impressed with players who go out of their way to flash their ego. Play the game right and do the job your paid to do and THEN I'll be impressed with you. Changing your name and acting like a narcissistic junior high student doesn't get you into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The National Liberation Front? Could be a spokesman I suppose assuming you taught him Vietnamese and sent him back in a '85 Delorean. :
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    The National Liberation Front? Could be a spokesman I suppose assuming you taught him Vietnamese and sent him back in a '85 Delorean. :
    Oops.

He's great for the league when he's not pouting. Chad is one of the few people in the league who really just wants to have fun. . . .and WIN. I don't see how anyone can blame him for whining because he's playing for one of the most worthless franchises in sports.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    He's great for the league when he's not pouting. Chad is one of the few people in the league who really just wants to have fun. . . .and WIN. I don't see how anyone can blame him for whining because he's playing for one of the most worthless franchises in sports.
    He didn't have to sign a new deal. My feeling is that he and others are bad for the league because they don't care about winning as much as they care about how much they make and how often they're on ESPN or NFL Network. Two years ago, I would have said Chad just wants to win, but his actions these past two years have proven me wrong. Chad has spoken about wanting to win and uses the Bengals record as a smoke screen, but when he talks about teams he wants to play for, he rarely knows anything about the team's record, but he can tell exactly how much money that team spent to sign one of his friends. I used to love his TD celebrations and his playful banter with opposing teams. But ever since he signed with Rosenhaus and started pulling this whiney baby stuff about wanting to go somewhere else and wanting out of his contract has not only turned me off of him as a player, but off the NFL in general.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Re: The League: Is Ocho Cinco good for the NFL?

Of course he's not bad for the league. The fact that some people think he is shows the problem with today's NFL. Guys are getting arrested in large numbers (not just in Cincy and Oakland anymore!), more players get suspended for PED and drug related violations than any other major US sport (including guys that won't have their HOF potential hurt by it, coughRodneyHarrisoncough), and we're staring the very real possibility of a work stoppage in the face.

But we shove that under the rug to talk about Brett Favre and Chad as if those guys are true issues for the league.

Is Chad good for the league? Debatable. Sure he's a true second tier star when he's producing, but the NFL cycles second tier stars as often as professional wrestling. For every fallen Chad there's 12 more guys waiting to take on the star power of Brady, Manning, and the like.
    Last edited by guttle11; 06-22-2009 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Of course he's not bad for the league. The fact that some people think he is shows the problem with today's NFL. Guys are getting arrested in large numbers (not just in Cincy and Oakland anymore!), more players get suspended for PED and drug related violations than any other major US sport (including guys that won't have their HOF potential hurt by it, coughRodneyHarrisoncough), and we're staring the very real possibility of a work stoppage in the face.

But we shove that under the rug to talk about Brett Favre and Chad as if those guys are true issues for the league.

Is Chad good for the league? Debatable. Sure he's a true second tier star when he's producing, but the NFL cycles second tier stars as often as professional wrestling. For every fallen Chad there's 12 more guys waiting to take on the star power of Brady, Manning, and the like.
    I agree with everything you wrote, except for the bolded part. When he's producing, he's leading his conference in receiving yards 4 consecutive years (not even Jerry Rice can say that). When he's producing, his jersey sales are amongst the top 10 in the league. He gets more coverage on Sportscenter and the like more than all the other Bengals combined (when he's producing, of course). He brings in a whole bunch of fans to football whom wouldn't follow it otherwise (I can name 3 personally). He truly is a top star in the league, and he draws a whole bunch of fans in regardless of some Bengals fans opinions of him.

IMHO, he's one of the marquee faces of the league and there's no denying it's better off with him a part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I agree with everything you wrote, except for the bolded part. When he's producing, he's leading his conference in receiving yards 4 consecutive years (not even Jerry Rice can say that). When he's producing, his jersey sales are amongst the top 10 in the league. He gets more coverage on Sportscenter and the like more than all the other Bengals combined (when he's producing, of course). He brings in a whole bunch of fans to football whom wouldn't follow it otherwise (I can name 3 personally). He truly is a top star in the league, and he draws a whole bunch of fans in regardless of some Bengals fans opinions of him.

IMHO, he's one of the marquee faces of the league and there's no denying it's better off with him a part of it.
    Well, there's no doubt he's a true football star when producing. But he's not a transcendent star like Brady and Manning. Chad never hosted SNL or appeared in funny (non Sportscenter) TV commercials. From that perspective, he's a second tier star when the numbers are there. Big deal in the game, not so much in other realms. I don't think a housewife in Denver cares much for Chad, but she knows about Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Those guys are everywhere.
    Last edited by guttle11; 06-23-2009 at 05:58 PM.

When he's at his best, he's good for the league. When the team is winning and Chad is productive and having fun, he's GREAT for the league.

But when he's his immature self, as we've seen the last couple of years, he's not good for the league. So a little bit of both I guess I'm saying? Lets hope we see good Chad this year.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Well, there's no doubt he's a true football star when producing. But he's not a transcendent star like Brady and Manning. Chad never hosted SNL or appeared in funny (non Sportscenter) TV commercials. From that perspective, he's a second tier star when the numbers are there. Big deal in the game, not so much in other realms. I don't think a housewife in Denver cares much for Chad, but she knows about Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Those guys are everywhere.
    That's kind of a high bar to raise, don't you think? I mean we're talking 2 players out of 30+ teams with 50+ man rosters.

Turn Off Ads?