Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: GCL Reds

Re: GCL Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Like someone else suggested, way too early to be thinking about that. Even if they do both make it to the show (which is improbable), it likely won't be until Jay Bruce is eligible for free agency. No point in playing the "what if" game with that now.
    I posed is a hyopthetical in my original post. Nothing wrong with thinking about it, as farfetched as it may be.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Has anyone checked the GCL Reds pitching stats lately? There are quite a few pitchers on that team who are pitching extremely well so far.

Tyler Cline - Selected by the Reds in the 4th Round (119th overall) of the 2008 Draft... attended Cass (Cartersville, Georgia) High School. Just turned 19in late June. Stats: 31 IP, 19 H, 1 HR, 8 BB/22 K, 1.45 ERA, 1.12 GO/FO.

Nathan Driessen - Signed by the Reds out of Australia last year. Left hander, just turned 18 in late June, listed at 6-foot-2 and 190 pounds. Stats: 21 IP, 12 H, 0 HR, 2 BB/16 K, 1.71 ERA, 1.41 GO/FO.

Jesus Adames - Signed out of the Dominican Republic in 2008 for $100,000, IIRC. Only 18 years old, RHP, projectable 6-foot-4 195 pound frame. Stats: 19IP, 12 H, 0 HR, 5 BB/13 K, 3.32 ERA, 1.93 GO/FO.

Tzu-Kai Chiu - Signed out of Taiwan in 2007. 6-foot-0, 220 pound lefty. 21 years old. Stats: 16.1 IP, 12 H, 0 HR, 1 BB/14 K, 1.10 ERA, 1.00 GO/FO.

Raul Rodriguez - Selected by the Reds in the 25th round of the 2008 First-Year Player Draft... graduated from Royal High School (Simi Valley, CA). 18 years old, 6-foot-3, 190 pound right hander. Stats: 15 IP, 10 H, 0 HR, 10 BB/15 K, 1.20 ERA, 2.43 GO/FO.

Harold Johnson - Selected by the Reds in the 11th round of the 2009 draft out of Trinity Christian Academy in Florida. 18 years old, RHP, big 6-foot-4, 215 pound frame. Stats: 21 IP, 11 H, 0 HR, 10 BB/21 K, 1.06 ERA, 1.83 GO/FO.

Daniel Tuttle - Selected by the Reds in the 5th round of the 2009 draft out of Randleman HS in North Carolina. Right hander, 18 years old, listed at 6-foot-1 and 175 pounds. Stats: 6 IP, 5 H, 0 HR, 2 BB/6 K, 0.00 ERA, 2.00 GO/FO.

Mitchell Clarke - Selected by the Reds in the 19th round of the 2009 draft. From Ontario, Canada. 6-foot-2, 220 pound left hander doesn't turn 19 until late August. Stats: 5 IP, 0 H, 0 HR, 1 BB/6 K, 0.00 ERA, 3.50 GO/FO.

Funny you should post that I was just looking at Harold Johnsons stats and wondering if anyone knew anything more about him. Ive read hes a strong GB guy, with room to grow into a 90+ MPH guy given his frame.

using Google for someone named "Harold Johnson" doesnt really work that well.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Funny you should post that I was just looking at Harold Johnsons stats and wondering if anyone knew anything more about him. Ive read hes a strong GB guy, with room to grow into a 90+ MPH guy given his frame.

using Google for someone named "Harold Johnson" doesnt really work that well.
    Might be because he goes by Jacob Johnson.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/h...,0,54907.story

Interesting. I didn't know he signed for over-slot money.

Trinity's Jacob Johnson signs with Cincinnti Reds
    > Posted by Stacy Hicklin on June 26, 2009 07:30 PM

Trinity Christian right-handed pitcher Jacob Johnson is going straight to the minor leagues instead of heading to Wake Forest.

Johnson signed with the Cincinnati Reds today, two and a half weeks after being drafted in the 11th round. According to Johnson, his signing bonus is well over $100,000 and is close to fourth to sixth round money this year.

"We think [Johnson] has a chance to be in a starter in the major leagues in the future being a big, strong right-handed picther," said Reds scout Tony Arias, who is the director of the organization's Latin American scouting. "We think he'll have three major league pitches."

Johnson leaves early Saturday morning (less than 24 hours after signing) to play with the Red's rookie level team in Sarasota that plays in the Gulf Coast League. He's excited to be able to spend his first summer close to home where his friends and family can still see him play.

After the draft, Johnson was pretty honest with Wake Forest telling the school he was pretty sure he was going to sign with the Reds and pass on playing at the college level. Wake Forest coach Tom Walter tired to talk him out of it, but Johnson remained firm. Johnson was not looking forward to making the difficult call to Walter tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Has anyone checked the GCL Reds pitching stats lately? There are quite a few pitchers on that team who are pitching extremely well so far.

Tyler Cline - Selected by the Reds in the 4th Round (119th overall) of the 2008 Draft... attended Cass (Cartersville, Georgia) High School. Just turned 19in late June. Stats: 31 IP, 19 H, 1 HR, 8 BB/22 K, 1.45 ERA, 1.12 GO/FO.

Nathan Driessen - Signed by the Reds out of Australia last year. Left hander, just turned 18 in late June, listed at 6-foot-2 and 190 pounds. Stats: 21 IP, 12 H, 0 HR, 2 BB/16 K, 1.71 ERA, 1.41 GO/FO.

Jesus Adames - Signed out of the Dominican Republic in 2008 for $100,000, IIRC. Only 18 years old, RHP, projectable 6-foot-4 195 pound frame. Stats: 19IP, 12 H, 0 HR, 5 BB/13 K, 3.32 ERA, 1.93 GO/FO.

Tzu-Kai Chiu - Signed out of Taiwan in 2007. 6-foot-0, 220 pound lefty. 21 years old. Stats: 16.1 IP, 12 H, 0 HR, 1 BB/14 K, 1.10 ERA, 1.00 GO/FO.

Raul Rodriguez - Selected by the Reds in the 25th round of the 2008 First-Year Player Draft... graduated from Royal High School (Simi Valley, CA). 18 years old, 6-foot-3, 190 pound right hander. Stats: 15 IP, 10 H, 0 HR, 10 BB/15 K, 1.20 ERA, 2.43 GO/FO.

Harold Johnson - Selected by the Reds in the 11th round of the 2009 draft out of Trinity Christian Academy in Florida. 18 years old, RHP, big 6-foot-4, 215 pound frame. Stats: 21 IP, 11 H, 0 HR, 10 BB/21 K, 1.06 ERA, 1.83 GO/FO.

Daniel Tuttle - Selected by the Reds in the 5th round of the 2009 draft out of Randleman HS in North Carolina. Right hander, 18 years old, listed at 6-foot-1 and 175 pounds. Stats: 6 IP, 5 H, 0 HR, 2 BB/6 K, 0.00 ERA, 2.00 GO/FO.

Mitchell Clarke - Selected by the Reds in the 19th round of the 2009 draft. From Ontario, Canada. 6-foot-2, 220 pound left hander doesn't turn 19 until late August. Stats: 5 IP, 0 H, 0 HR, 1 BB/6 K, 0.00 ERA, 3.50 GO/FO.
    Those guys are extremely worth watching. I'm especially interested in Driessen, Johnson, Cline and Adames. That said, the GCL is playing very much like a pitchers' league. But the Reds do rank high in most categories.

ERA: 2nd at 2.61
    WHIP: Tied 4th at 1.14
    HR: 2nd with 3
    Shutouts: 2nd with 3
    K and BB, not so good

A fact of life in the GCL is that there's a wide spread between runs allowed and earned runs, which distorts the figures a bit. In the Reds' case, they've given up 91 runs, but only 73 earned. (At that, their unearned runs are 3rd lowest in the league.) That includes today, when they (and Jacob Johnson) lost 2-0 to the Orioles on two unearned runs.
    Last edited by mace; 07-28-2009 at 04:35 PM.

Should have pointed out that their total runs allowed are lowest in the league.

Their runs scored (offense) are smack in the middle.

After today, Tzu-Kai Chiu is 19 IP, 13H, 1BB, 17K, .200 Avg Against. He will be 22 in September. Is there any reason for keeping him in the GCL? His numbers suggest he is somewhat polished. Is it a cultural adjustment?

Cline and Chiu should be in Billings by now, and should begin next season in Dayton.

I like what I've seen from Harold Johnson. He should start in Billings next year.
    Go BLUE!!!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Pitching stats look great, but does anyone really hit in the GCL?

I mean, when hitters get "promoted" to Billings they all seem to hit much better than in the GCL.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Cline and Chiu should be in Billings by now, and should begin next season in Dayton.

I like what I've seen from Harold Johnson. He should start in Billings next year.
    Jacob
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Don't look now but Juan Silva is putting together a very nice season so far with the GCL Reds. Silva walked and hit his first professional home run today and is now hitting .289/.382/.465 - .847 OPS in 114 atbats. As you probably already know, Silva was the Reds 8th round pick out of Puerto Rico this year. I remember watching his scouting video and coming away impressed. It's nice to see him putting his tools to use already.

Resident PED Expert

I know he lists as a CF but with Yorman, Fellhauer, Reed, Sapplett, Heisley, Stubbs straight up the pipeline specifically Yorman, can his bat carry to a corner OF postion?

I really believe he might be the best prospect in this years draft class... High high ceiling for this kid.

Turn Off Ads?