Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GCL Reds

Re: GCL Reds

Some old info on Nathan Driessen.

Nathan Driessen signs with the Cincinnati Reds

Ron Doorn, Monday, 17 March 2008

Nathan Driessen from the Perth Baseball Club has become a trend setter. With his signing to the Cincinnati Reds he has become the first signing for Jason Hewitt (Perth Heat Super Star of the 1990's) as well as the first Western Australian signed by the Reds.

Jason Hewitt said: "I have been following him since February of last year. He has great composure and mound presence."

Nathan, is also currently a member of the WAIS baseball academy,

Don Kyle (Director of WAIS) said: "He's been in WAIS for 2 years, outstanding work ethic. He has not put a foot wrong. He has my 100% recommendation as a major league prospect. Nathan is truly an outstanding kid who is willing to learn.

Nathan was selected in the U18 WA State HEAT team that played at Baseball Park in the AAA Championship in January.

During that Championship, Nathan – a 6' 2" Left Handed Pitcher - threw 17 scoreless innings as he helped his team finish third. Due to his efforts he was awarded WA State HEAT teams MVP.

Nathan has also been selected for the W.A. Schoolboys tournament which is to be held in Lismore in the first week of May.

Nathan will attend the Australian MLB Academy this year where he will trial for the U19 Australian team and further develop his skills under the guidance of Australia's best coaches.

He will also have the opportunity to attend a minicamp with the Reds in Sarasota, Florida

Luke Prokopec (ex LA Dodgers Major Leaguer and Cincinnati Reds Australian Area Manager) said: "We've been following him for some time and seen him start to mature and develop. We're expecting him to develop physically over the next few years. He's got a great body for a pitcher. We won't rush him, over the next 2 years he can prepare himself for his assault on the major leagues."

We at BWA wish Nathan all the best for the future.

http://www.wa.baseball.com.au/?page=42622&format=

2. Turn Off Ads?

3 of the 6 GCL games have been updated. It probably won't be long until the Reds score is posted.

still................. waiting....
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

The Rodriguez-Duran thing...looking way, way too far ahead. When a 16 year old is signed, it is so much more of a boom or bust deal than when an outfielder is drafted out of Cal-State Fullerton. There is a good chance that one of those two players will never be good enough to play at the Double-A level. Both players are a long way away from being good enough to play in Dayton. Duran is 16. Try projecting a high school sophomore or junior. It is hard to know what he will do. He might be Ted Williams. He might never be as good as the fourth outfielder at LSU. A lot of it will be based on what you can't see. How hard will he work? How coachable is he? Will he be willing to make the adjustments that all minor leaguers have to make, or will he stubbornly stick with everything he has done up until now? We don't know any of that. We will find out in the next few years.

4 of 6 games have been posted....... still no Reds scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    4 of 6 games have been posted....... still no Reds scores.

This could be why:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...eekday=Tuesday

Your unhappy final: GCL Orioles 5 GCL Reds 0.

Here is the box.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...g_box&did=milb

Didn't some of these guys stay down in Florida doing something like an extended spring training and scrimmage other clubs nearby?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    As many of you know, the GCL season begins tomorrow at noon. I'm looking forward to following that team. They will be very raw but very talented and incredibly athletic with Yorman Rodriguez in CF, Juan Duran in RF, and Billy Hamilton at SS. After Juan Silva signs he'll probably play left field. Carter Morrison, the athletic OFer from Canada will probably play some outfield too.

LF Juan Silva/Carter Morrison
    CF Yorman Rodriguez
    RF Juan Duran
    3B Deven Marrero (He has the arm and talent to play here)
    SS Billy Hamilton
    2B Stephen Perez (if they sign)
    1B Donald Lutz
    C Tucker Barnhart

There should be some interesting arms too with Tyler Cline, Daniel Tuttle, and Ismael Guillon among others.

The roster hasn't been released yet but hopefully they'll get it up soon.
    Yeah, one heck of a load of talent. If only 1-2 of them even made it you'd probably be relatively stacked with potential superstars in the system. I hope that we can sign Marrero and Perez if so I'll be very content for quite some time with high ceiling MIF's. How good is Lutz though I don't know much about him? I'd almost put Morrison at 1st to get all those OF's in the game.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    The Rodriguez-Duran thing...looking way, way too far ahead. When a 16 year old is signed, it is so much more of a boom or bust deal than when an outfielder is drafted out of Cal-State Fullerton. There is a good chance that one of those two players will never be good enough to play at the Double-A level. Both players are a long way away from being good enough to play in Dayton. Duran is 16. Try projecting a high school sophomore or junior. It is hard to know what he will do. He might be Ted Williams. He might never be as good as the fourth outfielder at LSU. A lot of it will be based on what you can't see. How hard will he work? How coachable is he? Will he be willing to make the adjustments that all minor leaguers have to make, or will he stubbornly stick with everything he has done up until now? We don't know any of that. We will find out in the next few years.
    No doubt it. However as far as GCL teams go that team is ridiculous. I should also note that just off pure gut instinct Yorman just strikes me as the one who will be the most likely to stick. Duran again just on my gut seems like he might have a tougher time.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    No doubt it. However as far as GCL teams go that team is ridiculous. I should also note that just off pure gut instinct Yorman just strikes me as the one who will be the most likely to stick. Duran again just on my gut seems like he might have a tougher time.
    See, I feel the exact opposite. Duran seems to have a better plate approach, meaning he has less work to do to become a solid hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    See, I feel the exact opposite. Duran seems to have a better plate approach, meaning he has less work to do to become a solid hitter.
    Yeah I know, my brain says one thing, my gut just says the opposite for some reason.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post

I can see that. Wouldn't be the first time a team gave extra chances to an athletic CF. Corner OF's can be more easily replaced.

But I think we can let them get in more than 1 game.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Could they keep both?
    In theory they could...but Duran projected as a RF I believe? I wonder who would go to LF.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    In theory they could...but Duran projected as a RF I believe? I wonder who would go to LF.
    Like someone else suggested, way too early to be thinking about that. Even if they do both make it to the show (which is improbable), it likely won't be until Jay Bruce is eligible for free agency. No point in playing the "what if" game with that now.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?