Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Votto is back!

Votto is back!

Just saw on Reds MLB site that Votto has been activated for Tues. game against Tor.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 06-22-2009 at 11:09 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto is back!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfever09 View Post
    Just saw on Reds MLB site that Votto has been activated for Tues. game against Tor.
    Great news. Do you DH him or put him in the field? I'd start him at first and DH Hanigan. Ryan's logged a lot of innings behind the plate. I'd like to keep his bat in the line up and get his legs a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    Great news. Do you DH him or put him in the field? I'd start him at first and DH Hanigan. Ryan's logged a lot of innings behind the plate. I'd like to keep his bat in the line up and get his legs a break.
    I'd probably DH him every other game.We'd be better either way.I'd also be ok if he didn't see the field until next week though.

He's Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!

This is such great news. It's as if we just made a trade. I say we keep Hannigan as DH for this week or rotate him with Ramon. I wouldn't be suprised if Bruce's bat get's warm soon.

i think now we see what we're really made of once votto gets back in the groove and if EE can come back and hit well enough with some power... i think Walt may end up making a deal for a RH power hitting SS/LF

Long Road Back for Reds' Votto

By Bob Elliot
    As always, Joey Votto was polite.
    "Sorry to call back so late," Votto said. "And I'm in a car, so it might be noisy."
    A few minutes of conversation later the Cincinnati Reds first baseman excused himself as he bought a drink and popcorn at the Showcase Cinemas Dayton South to see a late showing of The Hangover Sunday night.

Votto was at class-A Dayton, Ohio, on a rehab assignment.

Yet Votto will be where he wants to be tonight when the Reds' three-game series at Rogers Centre begins. After four rehab starts, Votto is in Toronto and could be activated for the opener.

Votto has not played for Cincinnati since May 29 when he was placed on the disabled list with what the Reds called "stress-related issues."

"Ideally, I want to be there as soon as possible," Votto said late Sunday. "The way I feel, what I describe to the team ... it's all positive, but they'll let me know.

"I spoke to the trainers and they'll come to the conclusion, I really don't know if I can be there. I know I want to be there."
    Votto was scheduled to play at either double-A Carolina or triple-A Louisville last night, but was given the day off after two weekend games in Dayton and two at Sarasota.

While the Reds' visit has been circled by Votto's former Etobicoke Rangers teammates since the schedule came out, for Votto's younger brothers Tyler, 20, and nine-year-old twins Ryan and Paul, they weren't looking forward to a chance to see him play.

"They just want to see me," Votto said. "Since my father just passed (in August, 2008), I have to do a better job. My youngest brothers have been to Cincinnati and to Chicago to see me. I'd like to spend more time with them.

"I might arrange for them to fly on their own. They are such young guys and our clubhouse is such a good place for young kids to hang out. Our team has about five kids, some are about the same age, running around all the time."

Votto missed five games and left two others while feeling dizzy during mid-May because of an inner-ear infection. Votto said: "They got that (inner-ear) thing solved."

He has not as yet discussed the current reason for being inactive.
    "Sometime in the near future I'll make a statement," Votto said.

In Cincy some fans are demanding an answer. Votto does not owe anyone an answer. This is not a pulled groin, or a shoulder injury.
    It is private.
    It is personal.
    The Reds are being patient, so should fans.

Votto singled in the tying run and scored the winner as the Dayton Dragons beat the West Michigan Whitecaps 7-6 Sunday. On Saturday, he hit the first pitch he saw over the right-field fence on to a grassy knoll at Fifth Third Field Park before 9,507 fans.

"The fans gave me a big ovation," said Votto, who played in Dayton in 2003-04.
    He also singled and knocked in three runs. As big-leaguers do on minor-league assignments, he treated the minor-leaguers to a catered post-game dinner from an Italian restaurant.

Votto, who stays in close contact with his former coach Bob Smyth, now of Ladysmith, B.C., played six innings in both games at Sarasota. He was hitless in two at-bats against class-A Clearwater on Thursday. He was 2-for-4, including three stolen bases, in an intrasquad game among rookie-class Gulf Coast League Reds on Friday. Votto's treat was Chipotle Mexican food.

MIGHT PLAY
    "You spent too much time there to think minor-league life was 100 years ago but I'm glad that stage of my career is over," Votto said. "I'm getting my timing back. Dusty Baker has been very generous and very good to me,"
    Votto, 25, was hitting .357 with eight homers and 33 RBIs in 38 games this season before being sidelined.
    "I love travelling to cities for the first time," Votto said. "To be able to call Toronto, the most special city in the world, my home, it's hard for it not to be my favourite city."
    BOB.ELLIOTT@SUNMEDIA.CA
    http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col...94881-sun.html

Re: Long Road Back for Reds' Votto

He has not as yet discussed the current reason for being inactive.
    "Sometime in the near future I'll make a statement," Votto said.

I knew he would do the right thing. I applaud him for being a stand up guy.

Re: Long Road Back for Reds' Votto

That article sheds a little more light on his situation, now being the father figure for his younger brothers. It had to be tough for him last year, and he still trucked right on through the season admirably.

This is definitely great news.

Now lets hope hes back for good.

I'll be interested to see what effect, if any, he has on the rest of the lineup. Will they relax & start hitting now (Bruce, Taveras...) or will Joey just get a lot of ABs with the bases empty?

I expect a lot of ABs with the bases empty knowing how Dusty Baker likes it.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Whoo hooo!!
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

That is awesome.

The other thing is, we don't have to get teased like little redheaded girls about our HORRIFIC lineup WITH a DH, you know, the same one that got swept by the Royals and pulled out one game versus the BlackSox because our PITCHER went yard with a 3 run Jack.
    Man, how pathetic!!

Maybe RH can DH and Votto can man first.

We do play two lefties in this series, so BP might hit, but Jay Bruce will probably (continue to) struggle. Maybe Gomes can get a start or two in as well.

Things just got a bit brighter for our Redlegs.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

One wonders how he conveniently comes back to play in Toronto.

Welcome back Joey!

Turn Off Ads?