Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prospects for Arroyo...

Re: Prospects for Arroyo...

I know this is concerning Arroyo but I don't see him bringing much in return. Now Harang would bring a nice return? Maybe Wood and Kendrick and another from the Angels? The Yanks might be willing to part with the goods for him but not Arroyo. IMO

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 in hall View Post
    I know this is concerning Arroyo but I don't see him bringing much in return. Now Harang would bring a nice return? Maybe Wood and Kendrick and another from the Angels? The Yanks might be willing to part with the goods for him but not Arroyo. IMO
    Arroyo believe it or not if he is shopped is the best arm available this trade season. It's a crappy year and Uncle Walt is holding all the cards in the poker game.

You're not going to get an elite prospect for Arroyo. It just won't happen -- those players are only available for top shelf major league talent.

I think you can get 2nd tier guys who are blocked by better talent (i.e., Donald blocked by Rollins, Mayberry blocked by Taylor and the major league OFs in Philly) or perhaps a young pitcher who's still years away (Jason Knapp). I think the guiding strategy would be to free up money for a bat, in another deal.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Give me 3 middle tier prospects, but this also depends on the organization. Oakland's system is much better than say the Yankees at this time if I am correct.

I think a lot of it is how much Uncle Walt is able to play 2 or 3 teams against each other and bid the price up on Bronson as opposed to his real value. Like I said before the Reds are holding all the chips in this one. The others teams can't go down the street to get a different deal there really is no one else.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    1. Untouchable
    2. Nice guy, I would look into
    3. Both of those bats have been down since moving up to the AAA and MLB levels.
    4. Near Untouchable
    5. Zach Cozart is better
    6. We already have that guy, his name is Craig Tatum.

I want an elite SS, or a power hitting right handed outfielder.

Quality over Quantity.
    So please stop being a mere critic and put forth your list.
    Go BLUE!!!

To me the trade I could see happening and would like is arroyo for wood. Its obvious that the angels are not going to ever give wood a real shot at playing every day so Im sure they would deal him. Arroyo seems like the type of pitcher they would have intrest in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    To me the trade I could see happening and would like is arroyo for wood. Its obvious that the angels are not going to ever give wood a real shot at playing every day so Im sure they would deal him. Arroyo seems like the type of pitcher they would have intrest in as well.
    Of the players I've seen mentioned, Wood is the most interesting IMHO. The others are either unrealistic--e.g. Andrus--or worse than players we already have--Donald, Marson. The question about Wood is whether he can play SS. If not, and he's destined for 3b, then we've added another guy at the position we are already best stocked for in the minor leagues. So the question would be how much of an upgrade, if any, is he over EE, Frazier, Francisco, Soto? Is Arroyo worth that amount of difference, if there is any.

I would think a likely thing is we trade a contract for another contract.

Wood is, by all accounts, an average SS. His arm is good, his range is average, and his glove/ consistency is aove average.

The problem is if he grows out of the position. If it were me, I'd move Wood to 2B if he happens to grow out of SS and move Phillips (if he's still with the team) over to SS. That should give you good arms across the IF with solid gloves that lack a step or two of range. (This assumes Frazier, Francisco, or Soto takes over for EdE at the hot corner.)

It also provides well above average power out of the Cincinnati infield, allowing Jocketty to fill his OF with great gloves that might not hit as well as typical corner OFs do. (Good news for Stubbs and Heisey, if true. Not so much for Votto or Alonso.)
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

If the Reds trade Arroyo for prospects, it better involve a catcher or shortstop who has a future as an everyday player in MLB. That's a very difficult thing to acquire, and it may take more than Arroyo--especially when you consider his salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Wood is, by all accounts, an average SS. His arm is good, his range is average, and his glove/ consistency is aove average.

The problem is if he grows out of the position. If it were me, I'd move Wood to 2B if he happens to grow out of SS and move Phillips (if he's still with the team) over to SS. That should give you good arms across the IF with solid gloves that lack a step or two of range. (This assumes Frazier, Francisco, or Soto takes over for EdE at the hot corner.)

It also provides well above average power out of the Cincinnati infield, allowing Jocketty to fill his OF with great gloves that might not hit as well as typical corner OFs do. (Good news for Stubbs and Heisey, if true. Not so much for Votto or Alonso.)
    I'm not sure if this is the best way to construct a team.

The positions in the middle of the diamond are considered premium defensive positions for a reason- that is where most balls are hit and where you have the most ground to cover. Putting premium defensive players (and lighter bats) at the corners while putting your heavy hitters (but defensive slackers) in the middle of the diamond is not the way to stack your squad.

In other words, I'd rather have bats like Alonso and Votto in the corners and gloves like Phillips (at 2B) and Cozart in the middle, rather than have the heavy hitters in the middle of the field and guys like Stubbs and Heisey in the corners.
    Go BLUE!!!

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

I think trading Arroyo to the Phillies for Donald, Marson, and another C Prospect would be a decent deal for the Reds...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I think trading Arroyo to the Phillies for Donald, Marson, and another C Prospect would be a decent deal for the Reds...
    Maybe its just me, but I would rather get 1 prospect who might have a chance at being a starter than 3 potential back ups.

I have always felt Donald was overrated. He is currently in AAA with a .617 OPS. Marson has always had youth on his side, but thats about all he has had on his side. He has slugged over .400 twice in his minor league career. His defense isn't exactly turning any heads this year either.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Maybe its just me, but I would rather get 1 prospect who might have a chance at being a starter than 3 potential back ups.

I have always felt Donald was overrated. He is currently in AAA with a .617 OPS. Marson has always had youth on his side, but thats about all he has had on his side. He has slugged over .400 twice in his minor league career. His defense isn't exactly turning any heads this year either.
    So, for example, you would rather acquire Brandon Wood?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    So, for example, you would rather acquire Brandon Wood?
    Without a doubt. Heck, I would rather acquire a guy similar to Zack Cozart than the two Philly prospects+1. I just don't see those guys ever being starters.

Turn Off Ads?