Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Will Devin Mesoraco be a bust?

Re: Will Devin Mesoraco be a bust?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    As far as challenging hitters goes, I think that Todd Frazier and Cody Puckett should have been promoted months ago.
    Anytime I see situations like Frazier's and Puckett's, I immediately assume they are being shined up for trades.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Anytime I see situations like Frazier's and Puckett's, I immediately assume they are being shined up for trades.
    I thought that about Travis Wood as well, and then they went ahead and traded the guy who was promoted faster than anyone (Stewart).

The moral of the story? Who the hell knows what's going on in the minds of this FO.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    you can't get anything for Puckett

Frazier's nothing more than a throw-in because his own team does not seem to believe in him. no reason to hold him back because he can be a throw-in even if he wasn't hitting.

I don't mind putting brakes on pitchers. Coddle them, I say.
    2015, baby!

I thought that about Travis Wood as well, and then they went ahead and traded the guy who was promoted faster than anyone (Stewart).

The moral of the story? Who the hell knows what's going on in the minds of this FO.
    Is it possible Stewart's rapid promotion was to create attention prior to a trade--on the principle that it's the moving object that gets noticed?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I like challenging hitters too. But there's a difference between challenging a hitter and promoting someone before they have shown any ability to hit (let alone play defense) in a lower league. Cozart came from a major college program and has put up back to back OPS of .785. That's pretty different than coming from a podunk high school and putting up OPS of .580, .710, and .680 respectively.
    Numbers don't tell you whats going on. They tell you the results of situations, but not what happened to get to those results. Mesoraco has not seemed like he has been overwhelmed at all at the plate if we look at his walks, his strikeouts, his power or even his defense.

He has a 9.9% walk rate. No problems there.
    He has a 21.3% strikeout rate. Not a real problem there.
    He has a .153 isolated power. Not a problem there.
    He has a 20% line drive rate. Not a problem there.
    He has thrown out 30% of the base stealers against him this year. Not a problem there.

The slash line doesn't look the best. Its also a tough league to hit in and he has been bit by a .276 BABIP despite the 4th best line drive rate in the league. What is likely to carry forward with him, his peripherals or his stat line? I am taking the peripherals and they all look solid or better.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Is it possible Stewart's rapid promotion was to create attention prior to a trade--on the principle that it's the moving object that gets noticed?
    I don't think so.
    Go BLUE!!!

Nine players have 200+ plate appearances for the Sarasota Reds, and amongst them, Devin Mesoraco leads them all in OPS. Mesoraco might not be impressing everyone with his stick, but he's doing better than all the other regulars in Sarasota.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    Nine players have 200+ plate appearances for the Sarasota Reds, and amongst them, Devin Mesoraco leads them all in OPS. Mesoraco might not be impressing everyone with his stick, but he's doing better than all the other regulars in Sarasota.
    That's more of an indictment of the players on the Sarasota roster than anything else. Neftali Soto and Alex Buchholz coming off an injury were also overpromoted, and no one else there could even be considered a prospect. So in the words of Shania Twain "That don't impress me much!"
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-07-2009 at 03:17 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Ban this guy for getting that song now stuck in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Ban this guy for getting that song now stuck in my head.

Has anyone else noticed that Mesoraco has put up an astonishingly consistent .311 OBP in all three of his minor league seasons so far?

Weird.

Does anyone else know anything of Devin's retirement talk? Also, I didn't realize Rafael Gonzaelz had retired.
    Go BLUE!!!

Has anyone else noticed that Mesoraco has put up an astonishingly consistent .311 OBP in all three of his minor league seasons so far?

Weird.

Does anyone else know anything of Devin's retirement talk?
    Mesoraco's talking about retirement? I did see he went on the DL yesterday. What's up with that? I must have missed something.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Mesoraco's talking about retirement? I did see he went on the DL yesterday. What's up with that? I must have missed something.
    I'm yet to see any reliable source relay that (EDIT) rumor. Just a heads up.
    Last edited by Homer Bailey; 08-12-2009 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I'm yet to see any reliable source relay that information. Just a heads up.
    Which info?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Which info?
    Mesoraco contemplating retirement. No credible source on that "rumor".

Turn Off Ads?