Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which contract would you drop?

Which contract would you drop?

I found this article about MLB bailing every team out of 1 contract of their choice using some sort of general fund.They are suggesting this as a 1 time thing to help some teams out so they can make some moves before the trade deadline.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06212009...er__175379.htm

I know that Gonzo would be gone in a second.Who would you guys like to see go?Just for some fun how about if this had been done in past seasons.Can anyone say Eric Milton?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Which contract would you drop?

Never gonna happen!! But if so then Cordero 37 millon over the next three if I am correct? In a heartbeat!!

Quote Originally Posted by 13 in hall View Post
    Never gonna happen!! But if so then Cordero 37 millon over the next three if I am correct? In a heartbeat!!
    He's at least doing his job... maybe Tavares?

that's a ridiculous idea, mlb would be paying someone like zito over 70million to do nothing.

as for the reds, id probably say bronson, cordero, or taveras in that order.

I'm personally real disappointed in Taveras. Didn't we hear some stuff in the spring about stealing 100 bases? Now it seems unlikely that he'll even reach base much more than 100 times this year. So he would get my vote.

Arroyo just because of the price tag and replacement options.

Cordero would be just as good.

I like both players but if I had to pick those would be the 2.

I can't believe no one else thinks Gonzo would have to go.With the exception of maybe Taveras the other guys being mentioned actually have some trade value.There is no way we could unload Gonzo and his contract.If the MLB actually did this we could part ways and have it cost nothing to the team.

By the way I know that this will never happen.I agree with some of the other comments about it being a stupid idea.Just thought it would be interesting to hear who others would like to see disappear completely from the Reds if it could be done at no cost and no gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I can't believe no one else thinks Gonzo would have to go.With the exception of maybe Taveras the other guys being mentioned actually have some trade value.There is no way we could unload Gonzo and his contract.If the MLB actually did this we could part ways and have it cost nothing to the team.

By the way I know that this will never happen.I agree with some of the other comments about it being a stupid idea.Just thought it would be interesting to hear who others would like to see disappear completely from the Reds if it could be done at no cost and no gain.
    gonzo doesn't have much of a contract, that's the point. the reds only owe him a couple mil for the rest of this year, that's it. you can eat a contract like that and it isn't that big of a deal.

Willy T, take a knee.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

There isn't any question about this one from my point of view: Cordero.

No one else is close.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Owings
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Whats being proposed is to completely get rid of someone along with their contract without loosing or gaining anything except the money you would have to pay them.Another team would be free to sign them and they would no longer be a Red.The guys your all mentioning all at least have some trade value except for maybe Taveras.

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    gonzo doesn't have much of a contract, that's the point. the reds only owe him a couple mil for the rest of this year, that's it. you can eat a contract like that and it isn't that big of a deal.
    Bingo. He's already been paid for two and a half years. What's eating the rest of it going to do?

Breaking it down, there's only 3 really huge contracts on the roster, and all have done a pretty good job: Harang, Arroyo, and Cordero. The sad fact is though, for a small market team, the contract Cordero has for pitching one inning every game you're up 1-3 runs is ridiculous. That money is much more needed elsewhere. Someone else can be put in that positon with similar results.

As for general worthlessness, obviously Taveras is a waste of money if you want to go by that. He wouldn't be clearing up a ton of payroll though.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Whats being proposed is to completely get rid of someone along with their contract without loosing or gaining anything except the money you would have to pay them.Another team would be free to sign them and they would no longer be a Red.The guys your all mentioning all at least have some trade value except for maybe Taveras.
    i don't even think the yankees would take cordero and his contract at this point. arroyo may or may not have trade value. the reds might have to pay part of his contract.

your choice was a guy who is a free agent at the end of the season, that defeats the purpose of this whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Owings
    co-sign
    YouTube - Louie G - The Deal - FULL (Jay Bruce/Reds Anthem)
    ^^ Jay Bruce Theme Song

2009 Reds Attendance Record 2-1
    2010 Reds Attendance Record 2-2 ***Attended NLDS Game 3***
    2011 Reds Attendance Record 1-0

Turn Off Ads?